Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lisa Su Reaffirms Commitment To Improving AMD ROCm Support, Engaging The Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman Thank you for your patience, and all the efforts AMD does in compute GPU stack, however I should note that this effort is not enough. M$ showed you the way of going dominant some 20 years ago. They were giving free academia licenses for Windos, Office, SQL, etc, and had a blind eye on pirated OS. With this they addicted whole generation of young people to their stack, and when these people some 20 years later, become of position to make corporate choices, they do what they know. nvidia took notice, and enabled CUDA for all of their GPUS, so people new into the field can play on their own computer. Later when looking for a job, they advertise in their CV "CUDA experience", and then employers use what their staff knows. And now, a lot of people are buying 3090 instead of 7900XTX, just because of CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      bridgman Thank you for your patience, and all the efforts AMD does in compute GPU stack, however I should note that this effort is not enough. M$ showed you the way of going dominant some 20 years ago. They were giving free academia licenses for Windos, Office, SQL, etc, and had a blind eye on pirated OS. With this they addicted whole generation of young people to their stack, and when these people some 20 years later, become of position to make corporate choices, they do what they know. nvidia took notice, and enabled CUDA for all of their GPUS, so people new into the field can play on their own computer. Later when looking for a job, they advertise in their CV "CUDA experience", and then employers use what their staff knows. And now, a lot of people are buying 3090 instead of 7900XTX, just because of CUDA.
      yes right you are fully right... but this is all negative ???? yes we know all these evil forces rule our world thats true.

its not nice that Evil Microsoft turn our children into addicts where they can never recover from this should be agaist the law.

of course we have psychopathic anti-human government and rulers but would we ever have a sane leadership they should bring up a TAX on Closed Source products and also a TAX on Cuda...

A tax on everything what has a monopole and is in the hand of 1 evil company.

evil companies like microsoft should be forced to pay compensation to people they turned into addicts.

I for example i was forced into Microsoft Windows computer classes in the school. in the compulsory school system.

If microsoft need to pay 1 million euro in compensation for every school children they forced in their evil world then this would end evry fast.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Um...
        right now in germany (i can not speak for other countries)

if you do not have the highest school degree (abitur) you can not go to a university to study computer science.

this means you have to learn "spanish" to be allowed to learn computer science and of course you only need english in computer science. but they force you to learn spanish because you only get the highest school degree if you are able to speak 3 languages means german, english and spanish or another language.

this my in point of view makes no sense at all. it makes no sense if you need computer science people to force people to learn spanish or else you do not allow them to learn computer sience.

but this is not the only joke about our school system in history classes they push a million lies on you and i can proof it. the school history classes are complete hoax and fake and not scientific.

the biggest lie they force you to learn in the history class is that germany started world war 2 but you can proof it with science that the USA did start world war 2. : https://www.amazon.de/Das-erste-Opfe...C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&crid=19KCVFFAJK7GA&keywords=das+erste+opfer+de s+krieges+ist+die+wahrheit&qid=1687380671&s=digita l-text&sprefix=das+erste+opfer+des+krieges+ist+die+w ahrheit%2Cdigital-text%2C84&sr=1-1-catcorr

to be more precise: the US President Roosevelt​ did start world war 2. they even teach much bigger lies who are even agaist the law to talk about.

you need computer science people but people are forced to learn lies in history class or else they are not allowed to study computer science.

i can say for sure 90% of what you learn in german school system you do not need in computer science.

you do not need sport or spanish or whatever bullshit in computer science.

if you refuse to accept lies​ like the Roosevelt story they punish you hard and make sure you are not allowed to study in the university.

for a company like AMD this is all horrible because this means the school system does not educate the people...

"Why Grades Shouldn't Exist - Alfie Kohn"

" Alfie Kohn explains the real goal of mainstream education in 2 minutes"

the best advice is really to bypass the school system and to even tell people if they make the highest school degree they are not wanted anymore because they did proof that they smallow any lie pushed on them what makes them the worst candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          other than going out on the street, clubbing random people and dragging them into the offices I'm not sure what you think we should be doing differently in terms of staffing.
          Asking for a friend with deep learning work experience: IIRC, you'd previously mentioned some flexibility on location, for qualified candidates. If someone lives near an AMD office other than the one where a position is listed, and they're not interested in relocating, is it still generally worth applying?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Asking for a friend with deep learning work experience: IIRC, you'd previously mentioned some flexibility on location, for qualified candidates. If someone lives near an AMD office other than the one where a position is listed, and they're not interested in relocating, is it still generally worth applying?
            to my knowlege if you have the skills they want you can even apply for remote work. bridgman is the best example most of the time he is at home far away from civilisation and he works from remote location...

software developers are hard to get if they get one but only remote well they will take it anway....

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

They make roughly $2 Billion in profit a quarter. That's billion, aka 1000 Million.
              And?

You think $2B is a lot for a corporation serving billions of clients???
              AMD is on latest count around 25000 employees. https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees
              That is PATHETIC compared to Intel (130000!!) https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees
              Nvidia (26000) https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees
              or even just Broadcom (20000) https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...r-of-employees

The differential is even more crushing when you know that AMD grew its employee count massively (+60%!!!!) between just 2020 and 2021 (probably from Xilinx's acquisition).
              At their lowest in 2016 they had 8000 employees only.
              AMD is also a pretty massively diverse corporation, between the CPUs, GPUs, FPGAs and DPUs right now. Nvidia has 26000 on NOTHING BUT GPUs.
              Spouting bullshit numbers like "2 BILLION A QUARTER" as if that meant anything...learn how an enterprise works.
              Also $2B a quarter is long gone. AMD went from a gain of $9B in 2020 to $21B in 2022.
              The Red Demon rises.
              Originally posted by abott View Post
              Plus, you think a software and chip company would have enough software and chips to make sure their shit works. GPU's are finally basically there, thanks to some people reading this. But how can your whole other stack, including their damn website, suck so much?

It's just incompetence, honestly. Especially from their software side. Meanwhile, the company with minimal software issues was just announce to have a trillion dollar evaluation. All because their software portion doesn't suck.
              They don't have enough chips, they rely on TSMC after all.
              And they don't have enough software because AMD is kind of a "conservative" chipmaker that didn't jump into the software bandwagon nearly as hard as they should've. Clearly it's their biggest weakness, and it'll take a few years between 2022 and the moment where they show a great amount of progress there.

You are so dismissive...Nvidia's website sucks about as much. And we'll see how long AMD keeps sucking at software yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
                Nvidia has 26000 on NOTHING BUT GPUs.
                They bought Mellanox for $7B, back in 2019. I'm not sure how many people that added. They also made SoCs since the mid-2000's, including designing at least 2 generations of fully custom ARM cores (which were actually VLIW, underneath, and relied on JIT translation), though their new Grace CPUs use ARM-designed cores. They have a lot of R&D going into self-driving and other applications of deep learning. Lastly, they make and sell their own DGX systems.

The point is: they do a heck of a lot more than "NOTHING BUT GPUs". I'm sure their CPU/SoC design team isn't anywhere near as big as AMD's, but that's only one part.

Comment

It depends on the position and experience level, but if someone lives near an AMD office other than the one where a position is listed it's definitely worth applying - there's a good chance we'll have a related team at the nearby office, eg we don't have a Linux GPU driver team in Austin but we do have a low-level GPU tools team in Austin that works very closely with the Markham and Shanghai teams.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                    to my knowlege if you have the skills they want you can even apply for remote work. bridgman is the best example most of the time he is at home far away from civilisation and he works from remote location...
                    For better or worse civilization seems to have found me - two more houses on my road in the last couple of years. So much for the rifle range.

Now that everyone has lost interest in COVID I am spending more time in the office, but most of the people I work with are still in other offices so it's mostly for F2F.
                    Test signature

Comment

The point is: they do a heck of a lot more than "NOTHING BUT GPUs". I'm sure their CPU/SoC design team isn't anywhere near as big as AMD's, but that's only one part.
                      Sorry but I have never heard of anyone buying any kind of Nvidia hardware outside of GPUs. So yes, I do believe I can say that they do nothing but GPUs. All the rest is side stuff meant to sell their GPUs. Nvidia has no market for any of the things you cited.
                      AMD, if they dropped Radeon, would still have a massive CPU market. If they dropped CPUs, they'd still have their (much poorer) GPU market. If they dropped both, Xilinx/AMD would still sell FPGAs. Pensando was and is capable of designing and selling their DPUs, and so on.

I have yet to hear of a single company/person that buys anything Nvidia not for the GPUs but for something else, so I think your point is totally moot. The amount of people working on these side gigs cannot be even close to the weight that the CPU dept of AMD has.

Comment

Working...
                      X