No announcement yet.

AMDVLK 2023.Q2.3 Released With RX 7600 Support, Counter-Strike 2 Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2023.Q2.3 Released With RX 7600 Support, Counter-Strike 2 Optimizations

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2023.Q2.3 Released With RX 7600 Support, Counter-Strike 2 Optimizations

AMDVLK 2023.Q2.3 is out today as the newest snapshot of AMD's official open-source Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    and Vukkan dEQP test cases.

Comment

The AMDVLK 2023.Q2.3 driver has also begun landing performance tuning optimizations for Valve's Counter-Strike 2.​
      The CS2 limited test is only available for Windows and uses Direct3D 11, so I guess AMD had early access to a Linux port or Valve contributed to AMDVLK?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

The CS2 limited test is only available for Windows and uses Direct3D 11, so I guess AMD had early access to a Linux port or Valve contributed to AMDVLK?
        I think it's safe to assume that GPU vendors have early-access to pretty much every major new title.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriar View Post

I think it's safe to assume that GPU vendors have early-access to pretty much every major new title.
          I wouldn't make that assumption. I think it's been somewhat clear in the past that promotional programs have limited big name games to one GPU maker or the other. Otherwise issues like the now somewhat infamous exclusive Nvidia-only hair rendering feature being always on in Witcher 3 with no toggle to turn it off for AMD people wouldn't have made it to the release version. What's painfully obvious to some people sometimes hits closed off insular developer groups with a grand piano from the top of Freedom Tower. Game devs: "Gosh, maybe you think we should have had someone test this on AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs before release?" Gamers: "DUH!" and the inevitable shallow fanboisism: "Let 'em suffer!!"

I can understand limiting hardware test rigs to well understood hardware during active development. It's a development strategy nearly everyone pursues. But, in the final rounds before release the responsible thing is to ask people with random hardware selections to test the near final program before you release. It's always cheaper in resources to find bugs before general release than after. It seems these GPU promotional deals puts blinders on development teams such that what may be painfully obvious to owners of other hardware products, ends up being that piano on the head for the development team.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriar View Post

Indeed, there's a reason they can publish optimized drivers on release day för popular AAA titles.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              Nvidia-only hair rendering feature being always on in Witcher 3 with no toggle to turn it off for AMD
              This really has nothing to do with drivers. The GPU makers don't have control over the game itself unless they enter into a special relationship with the game developer (i.e., sponsor the game). That doesn't mean that they don't get the game to allow the drivers to be tweaked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ET3D View Post

This really has nothing to do with drivers. The GPU makers don't have control over the game itself unless they enter into a special relationship with the game developer (i.e., sponsor the game). That doesn't mean that they don't get the game to allow the drivers to be tweaked for it.
                Which has nothing to do with whether or not the GPU makers have access to the new games or not. They don't always do. Smart developers do. But even smart developers are subject to marketing restraints from publishers and the contracts management signs.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  They don't always do.
                  They probably always do when working with major publishers.

Comment

Working...
                  X