No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX + RX 7900 XT Linux Support & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is unfortunate that Michael doesn't have a 6950XT or the 4080/90 to compare these cards against. Without these three models, the bigger picture seems to be incomplete.

Looking at the Windows numbers from Hardware Unboxed, the picture doesn't look that pretty for AMD any longer. The XTX is on average at most 40% faster than the 6950XT, not the promised 50-70%. The RT performance still sucks and there were enough driver/compatibility issues to raise some eye brows. AMD needs to realize this: If they price their products relative to Nvidia, they need to deliver performance, features and stability just like Nvidia. If they fail in one of the mentioned areas, people are less likely to buy them and expect a bigger discount on pricing than what they are offering today. In my eyes the XTX should cost at most 650 EUR (incl. 19% VAT, which was a rare offer of a 6900XT recently) to be compelling enough despite the mentioned shortcomings and the XT should be at the 500 EUR mark.

Comment

I'm glad to see the improvements for AMD. However, I'm more interested in how the low and mid range 7000 series GPUs will perform because I have limits on what I'm willing to spend for things and stuff. I hope the low end ones come with 8GB of VRAM so they'll be equivalent to better than an RX 580 while using a third or less power. Most people are interested in how the highend stuff will perform but I'm wondering if the low end ones will make great 60hz-90hz 1080p GPUs that'll be good enough to get someone started. Based on the 6000 series GPUs, I think it's pretty kick ass how those could potentially be the low end specs if AMD doesn't skimp on their VRAM.

Comment

The test results for GTA V are really disappointing!

I understand that the test was done at 4K resolution with quality set to high, but this is a very old game with not such a demanding engine and spectacular graphics.
        I thought that by now we could play this game in 4K @ 120 Hz, but since neither of the GPUs cannot reach even 100 FPS I think we're too far away from that dream!
        I'm definitely not going to buy such an expensive GPU that cannot let me play this very old game in 4K @ 120 Hz.
        Especially since it doesn't even come with some awesome features like SR-IOV support to at least improve the game compatibility drastically.

As for the drivers they are good, but they are missing so many features to are limited to Windows only as AMD still refuses to create a control panel for Linux.
        It's like they think that since there's no control panel available, nobody will figure out that the drivers are missing so many amazing features that the Windows drivers has.

Well, I do and I'm definitely not paying a ton of money on a GPU that doesn't have a control panel for Linux, no SR-IOV support and cannot render a very old game like GTA V in 4K@120 FPS!

Performance improvements alone will just not going to cut it!

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
          Waiting for birdie's hatred post...
          Also by birdie. You must have totally missed the post. Anti-NVIDIA, pro-AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            • According to Steam HW Survey fewer than 1% (minus Steam Deck) of people game under Linux - maybe NVIDIA finally started paying attention to the figures.
            • NVIDIA is universally hated and mocked here on Phoronix - no cards, less hated.
            • Why do you care about NVIDIA results anyways? I've been under the impression that Linux user and NVIDIA do not mesh.
            Hey Artem, no need to hide in plain sight here!

Us Linux users are free people, therefore we are also very tolerant & open to differing world-views, amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Most people are interested in how the highend stuff will perform but I'm wondering if the low end ones will make great 60hz-90hz 1080p GPUs that'll be good enough to get someone started.
              Indeed - FullHD is still the sweetspot for gamer with reasonable budget (not even low budget at all) wanting to play latest AAA on very high presets with decent 60-90 fps in the majority of scenes.
              In some cases this might extend to 1440p if the game is not too demanding.
              But everthing higher (or with RT@60fps) is easily summing up the overall cost of a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                The test results for GTA V are really disappointing!

I understand that the test was done at 4K resolution with quality set to high, but this is a very old game with not such a demanding engine and spectacular graphics.
                I thought that by now we could play this game in 4K @ 120 Hz, but since neither of the GPUs cannot reach even 100 FPS I think we're too far away from that dream!
                I'm definitely not going to buy such an expensive GPU that cannot let me play this very old game in 4K @ 120 Hz.
                Especially since it doesn't even come with some awesome features like SR-IOV support to at least improve the game compatibility drastically.

As for the drivers they are good, but they are missing so many features to are limited to Windows only as AMD still refuses to create a control panel for Linux.
                It's like they think that since there's no control panel available, nobody will figure out that the drivers are missing so many amazing features that the Windows drivers has.

Well, I do and I'm definitely not paying a ton of money on a GPU that doesn't have a control panel for Linux, no SR-IOV support and cannot render a very old game like GTA V in 4K@120 FPS!

Performance improvements alone will just not going to cut it!
                why do you need SR-IOV?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Hey Artem, no need to hide in plain sight here!

Us Linux users are free people, therefore we are also very tolerant & open to differing world-views, amirite?
                  my first thought....oh Powerusage Techpowerup screenshot must be birdie

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

We'll see if NVIDIA now decides to send out the RTX 40 series hardware...
                    I was gonna say, a comparison with Ada would be very nice, but if Nvidia doesn't oblige, I can see why you wouldn't rush to buy those cards yourself.
                    Hell, if I were a reviewer, I would reject consumer video cards over $1,000 on principle.

Comment

AFAICS the RX 7900 XT delivers better performance than the nv3080 and is cheaper (3080 for 1k~2k, the rx7900xt should be below 1k).
                      Thumbs up AMD!

Will there be a low-power model? The power/watt improvements would possibly be nice for a little HTPC ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X