AMD Reveals More Details Around The Radeon RX 7900 Series / RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Based on TechPowerUp’s extensive power consumption testing. A RX 6950 XT has a TDP of 335w but uses 391w while gaming. A RX 7900 XTX has a TDP of 355w and if it follows RDNA2 that will put its power consumption at 400w+ while gaming.

I’m not sure why you’re adding your two cents when this thread is about a $1000 GPU. Everything you described can be done on an Intel iGPU. If you’re buying a high-end consumer GPU you’re either using it for gaming, content creation, computation or ML. This article is about the RX 7900 XT/XTX. Which will compete with the RTX 4070 Ti/4080.
    And if it does not follow then this is not the case. Whats the point to emphasize one of the equally possible outcomes... Also 7900XT is not a direct successor to 6950XT. AMD will drop 7950XT with maxed out power consumption in the future to compete Ti model most likely.

Fair enough regarding high end GPU argument. On the other hand people who care about gaming, content creation will use Windows/MacOS. People who care about ML/compute will use NVIDIA because of CUDA being industry standard. Also these are consumer cards anyway, why even bring up HPC when both NVIDIA and AMD has separate products for that?

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

And if it does not follow then this is not the case. Whats the point to emphasize one of the equally possible outcomes... Also 7900XT is not a direct successor to 6950XT. AMD will drop 7950XT with maxed out power consumption in the future to compete Ti model most likely.

Fair enough regarding high end GPU argument. On the other hand people who care about gaming, content creation will use Windows/MacOS. People who care about ML/compute will use NVIDIA because of CUDA being industry standard. Also these are consumer cards anyway, why even bring up HPC when both NVIDIA and AMD has separate products for that?
      I’m comparing the RX 7900 XTX to the RX 6950 XT because AMD compared them.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Hey thanks for the link! That is a very interesting survey. The sample size is a bit small (~2k) but enough to be indicative. Also true about when the user bought the hardware, another key question would be do they dual boot at all as this can play a big part in upgrading hardware for Linux or Windows.

Stats are the best, and I was not aware of this one!
        But there is a dual-boot statistic? What is yours, I'm guessing Steam?

Comment

The biggest issue with NVIDIA opening their drivers is that in terms of HW their GPUs starting with I guess around Maxwell have become extremely locked down to the point you cannot send most graphics related instructions to the GPU unless they are digitally signed. This is fucking crazy. The company is open source averse on the HW level. AMD GPUs also require firmware but the said firmware is released publicly and once loaded, the GPU is ready to use without any trials or tribulations. Lastly, NVIDIA's firmware is not just firmware, it's an OS in itself (AFAIK RISC based), it takes control of so many GPU functions, you're left with very little in terms of fixing issues.

My next GPU will most like be AMD's but I'm not happy about that. AMD has yet to restore digital vibrance option in their drivers - a feature they had a decade ago and then dropped. And why am I going for AMD? My GTX 1660 Ti is just too slow to drive modern games at 1440p even with FSR 2.0. RTX 4060 which I guess should be at least 2 to 3 times faster will cost "mere" $449 (considering NVIDIA has lost touch with reality pricing-wise) and I'm not ready to pay this amount of money.

NVIDIA has started to become openly the average user hostile and they've seemingly totally forgotten how they've gotten their reputation. No, it weren't the products which only 1% of gamers could afford. The GTX 1060 released at $250 is the most popular GPU ever created. The GTX 1080 Ti, which is cherished among enthusiasts, is a niche product and will forever remain one.

And it doesn't help that AMD 7900 XT will be released at staggering $900. That doesn't bode well for 7800/7700/7600 cards at all. AMD is happy to discount just enough to look innocent but the fact is we have a fucking duopoly and it surely looks like Jensen and Lisa have been privately meeting for a couple of years now discussing their future products and their pricing. I cannot otherwise understand how their GPUs are so similar in terms of performance/pricing. It wasn't the case a decade ago. They actually competed. They dropped prices. They innovated harder.

AMD is not your savior. They only have open source drivers which even for Linux users don't really mean a lot. The few vocal users here how get wound up about "openness" are a minority.
          Last edited by birdie; 22 November 2022, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X