AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX + RX 7900 XT Linux Support & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    The test results for GTA V are really disappointing!

I understand that the test was done at 4K resolution with quality set to high, but this is a very old game with not such a demanding engine and spectacular graphics.
    I thought that by now we could play this game in 4K @ 120 Hz, but since neither of the GPUs cannot reach even 100 FPS I think we're too far away from that dream!
    I'm definitely not going to buy such an expensive GPU that cannot let me play this very old game in 4K @ 120 Hz.
    Doesn't GTA V have engine issues at higher framerates?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Doesn't GTA V have engine issues at higher framerates?
      yes it does. at higher frames it starts to stutter really bad and its pretty single thread bound as well.
      Last edited by middy; 12 December 2022, 06:50 PM.

Comment

at this point he is right: "This is not how the GPU industry worked for the previous 20 years.​"

Today more and more gamers switch from having to buy 2 kind of rams to only 1 ram the steam DECK is an APU with only 1 ram for cpu and gpu also playstation 5 is a APU with only 1 ram for GPU and CPU... and less and less people buy systems with seperat Vram for the GPU what makes these desktop systems with cpu ram and gpu ram very expensive.

also in the last 20 years more performance at the same tranistore count level was always possible because of higher clock speeds.

also nearly all gamers switched to smartphone or steam deck or playstation or XBox and less and less gamers paly on desktop. what makes these desktops expensive workstation grade work tools for ederly people who can afford it. and the young people who can not afford it are on smartphone or gaming consoles.

also the adoption of the manufacturing nodes means less "nm" slowed massively down in the last 10 years
        and to develop EUV needed massive amount of time and money to develop.

amd had a press release about moores law they say they have roadmap to save moores law the next 8 years after that maybe moore laws is death. but they also they more modern nodes like 5nm and 4nm and 3nm and 2nm have costs so high that the price goes up if people want more performance.

means the time of free lunch is over.

but i see a future with costs going down and performance goes up steam deck for example has no windows license and this will become the norm in the next 3-5 years.

next generation of steam deck will implement multible techologies for lower price and higher performance for example it is pretty sure the next steam deck will have a "AMD freesync" display means lower FPS without lags possible what saves battery. right now the lowest FPS the steam deck can do without lags is 40fps with AMD freesync 30FPS or even 28FPS will be a possibility without lags.
        also its pretty much save to say that the next steam deck will have chiplet design similar to the 7900xtx
        "16 GByte LPDDR5-5500 @ 128 Bit" i am sure they will stay on LPDDDR5 maybe with 8000mhz but they will increase the performance with cache die chiplets similar to the 7800xtx...
        also FSR3.0 will use the new AI cores of 7900xtx and the next steam deck will have the RDNA3 with these AI cores.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
          --my-next-gpu-wont-be-amd
          This comment made me laugh out loud because then it is either intel, or you specified a runtime switch (and not a compile time one).

Comment

I play on PC because I want better graphics due to that I’ll vote with my wallet and I’ll be getting a RTX 4090. The sooner ray tracing is adopted the sooner all games will have better lighting.

People want to call these GPUs overpriced from both AMD and Nvidia but you have to remember the gains cost much more R&D then they did previously. These companies can’t just use a new processing node and expect 80%+ performance improvements.

AMD finally followed Nvidia and are targeting another market with their consumer GPUs.

Gamers, content creators and machine learning.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
              Can anyone tell me if the RX 7900 video card would be overkill for my aging system?
              CPU: Ryzen 5 1500
              RAM: 32GB (but not set at a super fast clock, because I am using 4DIMM slots) (didnt know my mobo couldnt handle faster ram speeds like 4 DIMM slots were used).
              I have a 1440p screen, that has a high refresh (144hz)
              Massive bottleneck. I'd try to pick up a 5800X3D if your motherboard supports it. Or perhaps a plain 5800X. Either would pair well with the 7900X.

How fast is your RAM? 3200?

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                I play on PC because I want better graphics due to that I’ll vote with my wallet and I’ll be getting a RTX 4090. The sooner ray tracing is adopted the sooner all games will have better lighting.

People want to call these GPUs overpriced from both AMD and Nvidia but you have to remember the gains cost much more R&D then they did previously. These companies can’t just use a new processing node and expect 80%+ performance improvements.

AMD finally followed Nvidia and are targeting another market with their consumer GPUs.

Gamers, content creators and machine learning.
                For that use case and if you have the budget that might be the right choice for you. I personally care alot for progress in the open source sector so i have a different view. Not everyone uses computers just for playing games. I do like to casually play games but i really love hardware that works out of the box, software i can compile and patch myself and especially code that is upstreamed. So after the years i really do not care about a few percent faster or slower as long as i have proper open source drivers for the hardware.
                For a linux tech hobbyist those closed source drivers are no fun, especially when you like to use prerelease kernels and want to see and test progress in all other directions. When there was no alternative the binary blobs were a necessary evil one had to deal with, there were even some advantages compiling wine against the nvidia opengl headers back in the days, but same as windows printer drivers or loading windows wifi drivers, (hah or even getting winmodem drivers to work with linux... back then...): Those times are over though.
                As you do, i also vote with my wallet. Neither of us might make a significant impact alone. The question at the end of the day is simply: What do you value more? For me the value of free software has been greater and has given me more fun and joy than any of the games i have played in the last 25 years.
                Last edited by crowen; 12 December 2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crowen View Post

For that use case and if you have the budget that might be the right choice for you. I personally care alot for progress in the open source sector so i have a different view. Not everyone uses computers just for playing games. I do like to casually play games but i really love hardware that works out of the box, software i can compile and patch myself and especially code that is upstreamed. So after the years i really do not care about a few percent faster or slower as long as i have proper open source drivers for the hardware.
                  For a linux tech hobbyist those closed source drivers are no fun, especially when you like to use prerelease kernels and want to see and test progress in all other directions. When there was no alternative the binary blobs were a necessary evil one had to deal with, there were even some advantages compiling wine against the nvidia opengl headers back in the days, but same as windows printer drivers or loading windows wifi drivers, (hah or even getting linux winmodem drivers to work... back then...): Those times are over though.
                  As you do, i also vote with my wallet. Neither of us might make a significant impact alone. The question at the end of the day is simply: What do you value more? For me the value of free software has been greater and has given me more fun and joy than any of the games i have played in the last 25 years.
                  Your thoughts are a carbon copy of mine.

Once AMD released their open driver there was no way back to the proprietary blob.

What NVidia did back in the day was commendable and technically great (I was an NVidia user for years), but at the end of the day their solution was a bolted closed driver on top of the kernel to solve Linux's lack of proper graphics infrastructure and video device management, as Linux evolved and the graphics infrastructure within the kernel improved that bolt-on technology became both a kludge and a serious handicap to wider Linux adoption.

The people who like NVidia did like it because it worked well (and bugs, kludge and Linux handicap aside still works well for most user applications) but the majority of people don't understand how much of a drag the current NVidia software ecosystem based on the closed driver is for Linux, NVidia (in my opinion) is along with Gnome (this is another story for another day) responsible of delaying the adoption of Linux desktop technologies for at least 5 to 10 years. Yes, it is that bad, but oh well, muh 50 FPS using RTX wasting 800 watts will improve game play so much.

The sad part is that there is no reason for this, NVidia could have had their kernel driver completely open source and maintain their proprietary user-space stack, they could had their market dominance without chocking Linux development, their proprietary compute infrastructure is great for example, but there was no reason whatsoever they couldn't have an open source kernel-space open driver and proprietary user-space stacks. They could have made everybody happy and had less headaches themselves with an upstream kernel driver.

The good news is that they seem to have begun to correct this and in a couple of years once they mature their new open-source driver I will be first in line to buy an NVidia card and test it.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Beware of the multimonitor idle power consumption: I hope it's an issue which can be remedied in software.

I suspect AMD's love for MCM (multi-chip module​) is to blame here starting with these RDNA3 GPUs, similar to their multi-CCX Ryzen CPUs, which also suffer from increased power-consumption due to the overhead of the "Infinity Fabric" I/O-die connector produced on Global Foundries' inefficient nodes, especially when using the performance governor.

When looking at the prices AMD asks for these GPUs which are costing them alot less to produce than what nVidia has to pay for TSMC's 4nm node for their competing Ada Lovelace architecture while delivering underwhelming performance & features at the same time, it's quite clear who the actual benefitters will be:

AMD's management & shareholders, thanks to drastically increased profit margins...

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                      I have thsi crazy idea, HOW ABOUT DEVS STOP SCRATCHING ARSE and start develop better games with better engines so we don't have to upgrade every year with 2k video cards.

Also, Nvidia will happily create newer gimmicks that only works on their overpriced hardware. Its a race, which you as customer, WILL NEVER WIN.

Comment

Working...
                      X