• Show
Clear All

Michael

Typo page 5

"with mot having" should be "with not having"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Those are numbers under windows.
      In linux with open source drivers the story is different -- at least measured with sensors (via amdgpu kernel driver):
      GPU Single Monitor Dual Monitor
      rx 480 7W 10W
      rx 6800 7-11 W 8-14 W
      The article mentions 41 W in multi-monitor for rx 6800, not even close
      rx 6800 dual monitor, youtube playing in firefox: 15 - 16 W ...

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Those are numbers under windows.
        In linux with open source drivers the story is different -- at least measured with sensors (via amdgpu kernel driver):
        GPU Single Monitor Dual Monitor
        rx 480 7W 10W
        rx 6800 7-11 W 8-14 W
        The article mentions 41 W in multi-monitor for rx 6800, not even close
        It's the monitors' refresh rate. On 144 Hz with two monitors, my 6900XT draws ~40 watts, but if I lower that to 60 Hz refresh rate, the card only draws 6-8 watts.
        At least that's how I remember it from my testing ~2 years ago.

Comment

Well the XTX is a beast, but I'm not regretting my 6900XT purchase like I thought I might.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

my first thought....oh Powerusage Techpowerup screenshot must be birdie
            Don't shoot the messenger, there is currently an issue with massive idle power usage on the 7900 XT/XTX, it was also reported on by LTT (although apparently AMD are on it).

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

1- If you didnt blindly worship them somewhere, then dont hold your breath. Seems that they have doubled down on that, since even Steve for HU has becomes a nvidia shill with their bullshit RT propaganda push.
              You clearly have no idea what you are talking about especially given the somewhat recent incident that HU had with NVidia https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....509177.0.html.

They are as far as you can get from being an NVidia shill.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about especially given the somewhat recent incident that HU had with NVidia https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....509177.0.html.

They are as far as you can get from being an NVidia shill.
                That was then and this is now: https://www.techspot.com/review/2588...deon-7900-xtx/

Check the comments and make your own conclusions.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the RX 7900 video card would be overkill for my aging system?
                  CPU: Ryzen 5 1500
                  RAM: 32GB (but not set at a super fast clock, because I am using 4DIMM slots) (didnt know my mobo couldnt handle faster ram speeds like 4 DIMM slots were used).
                  I have a 1440p screen, that has a high refresh (144hz)

Comment

--my-next-gpu-wont-be-amd

Comment

Originally posted by Aggedor View Post

It's the monitors' refresh rate. On 144 Hz with two monitors, my 6900XT draws ~40 watts, but if I lower that to 60 Hz refresh rate, the card only draws 6-8 watts.
                      At least that's how I remember it from my testing ~2 years ago.
                      this is still the case. i remember complaining about the high memory frequency / power usage with high refresh rates with my 6900 xt a year ago with my one 165hz 1440p monitor. i had the one amd guy and a xorg guy here on phoronix explain it. to keep the screen stable to prevent black screens / flickering the memory frequency has to be clocked high and unfortunately, each window manager / compositor / monitor are all different and its hard to get everything stable at higher refresh rates. even on windows for half of rdna2 release had to clock memory to its max at rates higher at 120hz+. windows didn't get it lower until a later driver came out and from monitoring its behavior, at 120hz+ its dynamic in its memory clock frequency. a idle desktop its atound 9mhz, open start menu it shoot ups to 100mhz, move a window around it can be 40-500mhz.

i've since replaced that monitor as my main monitor with a lg 35inch 3440x1440 ultrawide with freesync and don't have to deal with the higher clock rate / power usage anymore since its a 100hz monitor.
                      Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                      Can anyone tell me if the RX 7900 video card would be overkill for my aging system?
                      CPU: Ryzen 5 1500
                      RAM: 32GB (but not set at a super fast clock, because I am using 4DIMM slots) (didnt know my mobo couldnt handle faster ram speeds like 4 DIMM slots were used).
                      I have a 1440p screen, that has a high refresh (144hz)
                      ​your r5 1500 would be a massive bottleneck. bitwit on youtube did a review about this and with a 1700x it bottlenecked a nvidia 4090 to a nvidia 2080 super level of performance. a 5700xt level or a 2080 from nvidia would be the limit.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by middy; 12 December 2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X