Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Radeon Raytracing Analyzer

Phoronix: AMD Announces Radeon Raytracing Analyzer

AMD's GPUOpen group today anniunced the availability of the Radeon Raytracing Analyzer as their latest offering in the Radeon Developer Tool Suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: "anniunced" -> "announced"

Comment

So it means amdvlk already supports ray tracing?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        So it means amdvlk already supports ray tracing?
        I think it's just the closed source Vulkan driver for now.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I think it's just the closed source Vulkan driver for now.
          I see, thanks. Just curious, why does AMD still have a split between open and closed compilers for amvdlk / amdvlk-pro?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            I see, thanks. Just curious, why does AMD still have a split between open and closed compilers for amvdlk / amdvlk-pro?
            AFAIK it was more work to cut the Windows performance tweaks from our in-house shader compiler (which are felt to be a source of competitive advantage) than to patch in the already-open LLVM-based compiler.

The open source AMD Vulkan driver is still maintained as a closed-source cross-OS code base and sanitized for each release... and apparently sanitizing the compiler code wasn't a good fit with automation and so would eat a lot of compiler engineer time for each new release.

Another factor was that at the time we were looking hard at replacing the in-house shader compiler with an llvm-based one for all OSes, so this was a good way for the closed-source teams to get some familiarity with the llvm compiler. Not sure what current status of that is though.
            Test signature

Comment

Working...
            X