No announcement yet.

AMD gets beaten by NVidia, any plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusivity does NOT imply 'feature'. Moreso in the real world in IT where it usually means vendor lock-in, as previous posts have mentioned, and that is not the future of Linux. We're in a Linux forum, and people here are excited about tomorrow, because today 'things' are happening believe it or not. People here also have patience (at least from what I can tell thus far), something you could learn. Your attempts to garner symphony are not working either, and nobody hear wants to listen to your foundless plea's for attention and 'support' from hardware vendor's (AMD) when the only real advice to be had is to trade your card. Which was given a multiude of times and quite cuortiously. The support you require is not currently available. On top of that, running it through WINE is just begging for failure to boot, thereby compounding your frustration. I wish you luuck and good fortune if it does work in WINE. God/Allah/Buddha/Zeus knows that's been a godsend for a lot of us.

So, STFU, grow some balls, and some pubes because you're boring me to tears.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Uhm, that's what I'm saying. NVidia has the lead here. It's an exclusive feature. Note: *feature*.

Who cares? It was supported. The games ran fast. Everyone wanted a 3dfx. It was the leader back then. Nothing could come even close to it.

"Will be", "shall", "next year", "we plan to", "probably we will"...

RIGHT NOW Nvidia is where you can do the fun stuff. Not ATI. NVidia.
    Hi

Comment

If I bore you, all you need to do is gtfo of this thread

Comment

Originally posted by sim0nx View Post
        and am eagerly awaiting the day I can finally "completey" free my computer from proprietary crapsoft :-).
        Same here, I think it's great that AMD is releasing documentation and aiding in the development of an open source driver for their GPUs. Yet so many people over here trashing AMD and hailing yet another proprietary API from Nvidia. I guess some people don't value freedom, good riddance to them.

Comment

Sigh. I'm talking to a wall.
          You are both talking to a wall and it in funny to watch. I hope you two realize you will never ever convince each other of anything...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Same here, I think it's great that AMD is releasing documentation and aiding in the development of an open source driver for their GPUs. Yet so many people over here trashing AMD and hailing yet another proprietary API from Nvidia. I guess some people don't value freedom, good riddance to them.
            If it doesn't concern you why are you participating in the discussion? Clearly, the point of this thread has nothing to do with open source.

Comment

of course it has a lot to do with open source. For some people, open documentation and open drivers, having an alternative, is the most important feature.

And Nvidia falls flat on its face in that respect.

Comment

Lol! What a funny thread :-D

The graphics card market and technologies are in a considerable state of flux at the moment and some of us consumers like you RealNC are taking the hit by jumping on the wrong train. My guess is that this will continue for a few more years before some major tech breakthrough down the line makes pretty powerful graphics chips just as cheap, boring and ubiquitous as network or sound chips (come on Intel you can do it!).

Anyways, I am a FOSS buff myself and have much enjoyed the free Radeon driver for my laptop's R500 generation ATI X1400 graphics card. Still when I recently went shopping for a silent card for my Linux HTPC I got an Nvidia 9500GT card for doing VDPAU HD video decoding much due to the fuzz and hype here at Phoronix. I have been badly burned by ATIs fglrx driver before and I figured that the UVD2 rumors should be regarded just that for the time being and that the free R600/R700 driver implementations would need at least about 6-12 months to be up to snuff for H.264 playback. In the meantime I would enjoy good proprietary video playback, my girlfriend would be happy and I would get some.

Guess what? VDPAU is still an experimental and unstable technology and the decoded video looks pretty shitty compared to what I am used to see using xv. It was only after I had some bad experiences with it myself that I visited the NVnews forums and relevant threads and realised that this video decoding technology will probably need quite some time too to stabilize and be really useful. And in the mean time FOSS technologies will most likely start to catch up.

So here I am with a card that fails to live up to my expectations and that has features that are of no use to me, for now at least. Maybe you RealNC and I should switch cards and a few bucks?

Comment

Considering that you seem to evaluate GPUs solely on how well they support APIs that became de-facto standards.
                  Fixed it for you.
                  DirectX is the de-facto standard for games. Why do you even consider using Linux then ? Linux doesn't support DirectX (aside from wine which isn't complete and may or may not work like you want)

Sigh. I'm talking to a wall.

CUDA is supported and companies are announcing that they will use it. Even if Stream is 100 times better, it's useless if no one uses it. Go buy a car that doesn't run on normal gasoline but needs some stuff no one actually sells. It will just sit there being useless even if it's otherwise the most powerful car on earth.
                  That car is Linux. A great car that isn't fully compatibile with a thing called "MS Gasoline". I think you should use Microsoft products and Nvidia if that makes you happy.

Comment

CUDA will not dissappear, it has been adobted allready widely(and I don't talk about freaking gaming). Matlab, mathematica, boing and other professional softwares are allready using CUDA for speeding up calculations. Nvidia can even allready support opencl through CUDA for its own graphics cards(don't know is there yet opencl support for ati drivers through stream, brook+ or what the heck they call it nowadays):

It would be nice that opencl could someday offer physics in games but I'm not sure is that really even possible that way. What I'v been looking intel's havok, I thought that they dumped havok-fx for graphics cards for long time ago. And when larrabee comes, it should support X86 and physics through that; like it does now with cpu(larrabee is just pile of pentium x86 cores).

But anyway I don't think that this kind of konversation is belonging in Ati's linux driver thread.

Comment

FYI the announcement you linked to says that "NVidia the company" supports OpenCL, not that there is driver support. All of the companies participating in the OpenCL spec development made similar announcements.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16024

AFAIK both NVidia and ATI/AMD are planning to ship OpenCL driver support in the first half of '09.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 27 January 2009, 10:18 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X