Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

    Phoronix: AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

    There are some last minute changes to the AMDGPU Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver for the upcoming Linux 5.0 kernel release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...inux-5.0-Fixes

  • #2
    bridgman agd5f
    Could you guys see why this and related bugs have been lurking for so long? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 Both my 75hz 1080p and 120hz 2K freesync displays have to run at 60fps or less which sucks, or I have to lock mclock. If at least mclock forcing persisted resolution changes or suspend/sleep cycle I wouldnt mind the extra temps.

    Comment


    • #3
      Leo (Hanghong) Ma (1): drm/amd/display: Fix MST reboot/poweroff sequence
      This is a welcome fix for 5.0. The bug appears in the following scenario:

      1. Monitor is using DisplayPort 1.2.
      2. Try rebooting the system (not hard power cycle, normal reboot from within the OS).
      3. After booting from reboot, the monitor goes to sleep and you need to turn it off and on, switch to tty and restart your display manager to work around it.

      This fix prevents this incorrect case of monitor switching to sleep mode after reboot.

      See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107978

      A pity bulk moves were disabled until 5.1.

      Last edited by shmerl; 02-21-2019, 02:53 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by clapbr View Post
        bridgman agd5f
        Could you guys see why this and related bugs have been lurking for so long? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 Both my 75hz 1080p and 120hz 2K freesync displays have to run at 60fps or less which sucks, or I have to lock mclock. If at least mclock forcing persisted resolution changes or suspend/sleep cycle I wouldnt mind the extra temps.
        Pro gaming uses 144Hz monitors according to the CES 2019 AMD& Fnatic presentation, so 75Hz and 120Hz sucks. Because there is no Linux pro gaming, the 60Hz refresh rate is fine. They use single monitors in pro gaming, so you are much happier with a single ASUS VP28UQG monitor. Because of this, higher than 60Hz display problems are not top priority of AMD developers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

          Pro gaming uses 144Hz monitors according to the CES 2019 AMD& Fnatic presentation, so 75Hz and 120Hz sucks. Because there is no Linux pro gaming, the 60Hz refresh rate is fine. They use single monitors in pro gaming, so you are much happier with a single ASUS VP28UQG monitor. Because of this, higher than 60Hz display problems are not top priority of AMD developers.
          Yea thanks debianxfce that really made sense, you're right as always. Wise words. Really happy for your new job at AMD.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            This fix prevents this incorrect case of monitor switching to sleep mode after reboot.
            See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107978
            Gnome3 and KDE are the buggiest desktops. Try with latest gpu drivers, lightdm and Xfce before blaming display drivers. Switching to a virtual terminal, rebooting, suspend, freesync and everything works with my system.
            Code:
             Host: ryzenpc Kernel: 5.0.0-rc7 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 
              Distro: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid 
            Machine:
              Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B350M-K v: Rev X.0x 
              serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 4207 
              date: 12/07/2018 
            CPU:
              6-Core: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 type: MT MCP speed: 2731 MHz 
            Graphics:
              Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
              Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu 
              resolution: 3840x2160~60Hz 
              OpenGL: 
              renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.27.0 5.0.0-rc7 LLVM 7.0.1) 
              v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-dbe3af6 2019-02-19 cosmic-oibaf-ppa)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by clapbr View Post
              Really happy for your new job at AMD.
              AMD should hire me, OIbaf, Padoka and others that support AMD hardware.
              Last edited by debianxfce; 02-21-2019, 04:08 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                Gnome3 and KDE are the buggiest desktops. Try with latest gpu drivers
                Read the bug better, and don't comment with irrelevant stuff next time. That bug has nothing to do with DEs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I like my chicken bits golden, should be some tasty direct meat access

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

                    Read the bug better, and don't comment with irrelevant stuff next time. That bug has nothing to do with DEs.
                    Really
                    Code:
                    Nicholas Kazlauskas 2018-10-09 13:18:32 UTC 
                     I haven't observed this behavior occurring under Ubuntu 18.04 or Arch on 4.18 or 4.19 kernels with a Vega 56.  Do you mind posting a full dmesg log with drm.debug=4 and an xorg log? It would also help to know what desktop environment you're using.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X