Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

Phoronix: AMDGPU Has Late Fixes For Linux 5.0: Golden Register Update For Vega 20, Display Fixes

There are some last minute changes to the AMDGPU Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver for the upcoming Linux 5.0 kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bridgman agd5f
    Could you guys see why this and related bugs have been lurking for so long? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 Both my 75hz 1080p and 120hz 2K freesync displays have to run at 60fps or less which sucks, or I have to lock mclock. If at least mclock forcing persisted resolution changes or suspend/sleep cycle I wouldnt mind the extra temps.

Comment

Leo (Hanghong) Ma (1): drm/amd/display: Fix MST reboot/poweroff sequence
      This is a welcome fix for 5.0. The bug appears in the following scenario:

1. Monitor is using DisplayPort 1.2.
      2. Try rebooting the system (not hard power cycle, normal reboot from within the OS).
      3. After booting from reboot, the monitor goes to sleep and you need to turn it off and on, switch to tty and restart your display manager to work around it.

This fix prevents this incorrect case of monitor switching to sleep mode after reboot.

See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107978

A pity bulk moves were disabled until 5.1.

Last edited by shmerl; 21 February 2019, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Pro gaming uses 144Hz monitors according to the CES 2019 AMD& Fnatic presentation, so 75Hz and 120Hz sucks. Because there is no Linux pro gaming, the 60Hz refresh rate is fine. They use single monitors in pro gaming, so you are much happier with a single ASUS VP28UQG monitor. Because of this, higher than 60Hz display problems are not top priority of AMD developers.
        Yea thanks debianxfce that really made sense, you're right as always. Wise words. Really happy for your new job at AMD.

Comment

Gnome3 and KDE are the buggiest desktops. Try with latest gpu drivers
          Read the bug better, and don't comment with irrelevant stuff next time. That bug has nothing to do with DEs.

Comment

I like my chicken bits golden, should be some tasty direct meat access

Comment

Pro gaming uses 144Hz monitors according to the CES 2019 AMD& Fnatic presentation, so 75Hz and 120Hz sucks. Because there is no Linux pro gaming, the 60Hz refresh rate is fine. They use single monitors in pro gaming, so you are much happier with a single ASUS VP28UQG monitor. Because of this, higher than 60Hz display problems are not top priority of AMD developers.
              Thanks for your wise words. Have you considered that some people
              1. don't want to spend hundreds of dollars when they have something that perfectly suits their needs?
              2. bought a given monitor as a tradeoff for resolution, refresh rates and other features for a given price range?
              3. kind of want to be able to use features of their monitor that always worked in the past?
              4. aren't pro gamers and don't care about pro gamers, and their hardware choices are because they have other uses to their system than gaming?
              You should not apply for AMD, rather for Apple. Their PR team will love your reasoning!

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
                bridgman agd5f
                Could you guys see why this and related bugs have been lurking for so long? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102646 Both my 75hz 1080p and 120hz 2K freesync displays have to run at 60fps or less which sucks, or I have to lock mclock. If at least mclock forcing persisted resolution changes or suspend/sleep cycle I wouldnt mind the extra temps.
                120-144hz do not work with low fps regardless of the system. So:
                1. Undirect fullscreen windows.
                2. Do not enable Tearfree.
                3. Use Svp4 to raise video fps.
                4. DXVK needs dxgi.syncInterval = 2 if you have low fps.

Comment

..though this doesn't appear particularly exciting at least on my side with none of my Radeon boxes appear to be affected by any of these corrections.
                  Michael... Could you please not fall victim to fallacies as obvious and well known as the classic "Well it works fine on my machine so it can't be a problem"?

Comment

Really
                    That's because Polaris is affected, while Vega is not, you incompetent troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X