AMDGPU FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Is Set To Land For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

But is it really? Or does it require some hardware bits?
    I don't know for sure but I strongly suspect that all G-Sync capable cards have the hardware to support VESA Adaptive Sync as well but they simply do not implement the software for it.

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Does it need any hardware feature to support VRR or is just a software solution? That is, an old GPU could support VRR?
    The graphics card must support Display Port 1.2a or later. The "a" is for adaptive and it's an optional extension of the DP1.2 protocol. In reality, this means GCN 2nd gen or later.

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
    It would be good to know if the same restrictions apply to this as apply to AMD's closed source FreeSync support.
    I hope it's more in line with the Windows implementation because the one in AMDGPU-PRO on Linux is quite lacklustre.
    Last edited by Brisse; 30 November 2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
      Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      Which is why it would be so awesome if Nouveau successfully implemented it and showed the world that it's possible
      But is it really? Or does it require some hardware bits?
      Does it need any hardware feature to support VRR or is just a software solution? That is, an old GPU could support VRR?
      It needs hardware support, but NVIdia chips are clearly capable of Adaptive-Sync. Because G-Sync in notebooks is just Adaptive-Sync (they don't have any G-Sync module).

Somehow though I doubt that NVidia will release signed firmware which allows this. So if Nouveau ever decides to implement Adaptive-Sync, it may be limited to Kepler/1st gen Maxwell.

Comment

Great news! Besides Displayport, doest this change support also HDMI through the VESA HDMI VRR standard? A lot of Freesync TVs have only HDMI ports available

Comment

Finally! This means I have to schedule the purchase of a new curved, freesync2 capable, 32" widescreen for April then... Thanks AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This is great, but I wish we had this sooner.
            I really hope that Intel and Nvidia implements support for this too.
            I think we all know Nvidia isn't going to do this, especially for Linux. They're going to stick with G-Sync.

What would be pretty cool though is if Nouveau added support for it. But, I realize that's a lot to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              Finally! This means I have to schedule the purchase of a new curved, freesync2 capable, 32" widescreen for April then... Thanks AMD!
              Curved displays are dead, assuming they had ever been alive.

Anyways, I'm glad I bought a RX580 a few months ago. It will serve its purpose for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                Curved displays are dead, assuming they had ever been alive.

Anyways, I'm glad I bought a RX580 a few months ago. It will serve its purpose for years to come.
                I've heard people hate on them, but have you tried using one for a longer period of time? To have time to get used to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  I've heard people hate on them, but have you tried using one for a longer period of time? To have time to get used to it?
                  I'm not pretending no one likes them. I'm just saying that if you want a new monitor, looking for a curved one will make your search narrower every day you wait, and you'll probably won't find any bleeding edge model.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    I'm not pretending no one likes them. I'm just saying that if you want a new monitor, looking for a curved one will make your search narrower every day you wait, and you'll probably won't find any bleeding edge model.
                    Ah, I understand.

Comment

Yes, the display hardware has to support it. The earliest AMD hardware with freesync support is the CIK family (bonaire, hawaii, etc.) IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X