Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Is Set To Land For Linux 4.21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Is Set To Land For Linux 4.21

    Phoronix: AMDGPU FreeSync / Adaptive-Sync Is Set To Land For Linux 4.21

    AMD developers have a miraculous Christmas present for their open-source Linux users, particularly Linux gamers with FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync displays... This last major feature missing from AMDGPU DRM driver that's long been sought after is finally set to land in the mainline Linux kernel!..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Sync-Linux-421

  • #2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you very much dev's!!!! My freesync monitor would appreciate it !

      Comment


      • #4
        This is great, but I wish we had this sooner.
        I really hope that Intel and Nvidia implements support for this too.

        Comment


        • #5
          That's another item off the open source driver team's TODO list then...

          I'm genuinely looking forward to what's coming next as AMDGPU is getting more and more feature complete. At some point we're probably going to see a lot of performance related work after all of the major features have been squared away.

          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I really hope that Intel and Nvidia implements support for this too.
          We know Intel has been working on support for their hardware for some time and probably will be launching it at by the time their discrete cards come out. Nvidia on the other hand is too deeply invested in their own hardware-based vendor lock of a solution and they're too well into the green to be persuaded into reconsidering.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM.
          "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            We know Intel has been working on support for their hardware for some time and probably will be launching it at by the time their discrete cards come out. Nvidia on the other hand is too deeply invested in their own hardware-based vendor lock of a solution and they're too well into the green to be persuaded into reconsidering.
            Which is why it would be so awesome if Nouveau successfully implemented it and showed the world that it's possible

            Comment


            • #7
              Finally I can justify my purchase of a new screen in July :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brisse View Post

                Which is why it would be so awesome if Nouveau successfully implemented it and showed the world that it's possible
                But is it really? Or does it require some hardware bits?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Does it need any hardware feature to support VRR or is just a software solution? That is, an old GPU could support VRR?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It would be good to know if the same restrictions apply to this as apply to AMD's closed source FreeSync support.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X