No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do not know how to compile your own kernel for newer drivers, you are too stupid to use Linux.

Go back to Windows where the driver support and compatibility is way superior to what is available on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      But for any use case where uptimes longer than a few days are of importance: No way I could recommend amdgpu, yet. There are just way too frequent spontaneous crashes, even when doing completely mundane stuff (like typing text into a web form :-( ).
      My 2 cents: RX560, 4 months of using it daily for 6-8 hours, not a single spontaneous crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
        My 2 cents: RX560, 4 months of using it daily for 6-8 hours, not a single spontaneous crash.
        Using the DisplayCode (DC)? That I would find most fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          Using the DisplayCode (DC)? That I would find most fascinating.
          No, DC was mainlined only in 4.15 (I don't mess with non-mainlined kernels) at the end of Jan, then there was (still is in 4.15) a bug which prevented the use of DC+DVI+144HZ output combo, which I sidestepped by using DisplayPort cable instead of DVI-D

So, full-on DC - only for about a week. Then again, you didn't mention DC in your post either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            If you do not know how to compile your own kernel for newer drivers, you are too stupid to use Linux.

Go back to Windows where the driver support and compatibility is way superior to what is available on Linux.
            Idiots like you is what gives the Linux community a bad rep

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It was a bit crappy on Windows at release as well. I was an early adopter and remember those days well. It caused flickering brightness in some applications, and there was no support for borderless fullscreen or LFC. These things were fixed or added later and it works pretty well now.

I think if you had used it a lot on Windows and gotten used to it then you would notice it's not working on Linux. I sure did when I moved away from Windows but I had already used Freesync for quite a while then. Someone who hasn't experienced it much wouldn't notice though.

It's easy for me to see if it's working or not because the refresh rate reported in the monitor OSD constantly changes when Freesync is working. Sadly, not a lot of monitors have this feature which makes it hard to verify. Like I said, I can get xrandr and all that to say "Freesync enabled" too, but the refresh rate when I'm on Linux stays at a constant 120hz no matter what and if I look closely I will see potential stuttering with v-sync or tearing without, so despite Freesync saying it's enabled, it really is not.

Edit: With all that said, it is not worth running Windows just for proper Freesync support, but I sure am looking forward to the day it works properly on Linux.
              You may be right, I went from a 60Hz straight to this 144 Hz fs2 monitor so like you say maybe the jump in refresh rate I am noticing more than Freesync !

Is there anything like the windmill demo for use linux users ? bridgman

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post

He was talking about uptime. Probably meaning suspend/resume. Which I do every day on the RX 560 with freezes every few days at resume. I am with dwagner. It's hard to get more than 3-4 days of uptime. It works when in use, yes. So if you turn on your computer for a unique AV use case and shut off after every use, shouldn't be much of a bother.

The problem is mostly random crashes when suspending/resuming or with more complex set-ups, e.g. when tied via HDMI to an AV receiver for audio and video. Switching your AV receiver input channel to another input source and back tot the computer is currently very unstable and freezes the system most of the time.

N.B: Happens for me since custom 4.11 (M-bab) with dc included up to the current 4.16-rc5.
                Last edited by Mez'; 18 March 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Talking about "HDMI/DP audio", I have an old HD6xxx AMD GPU card in my HTPC computer plugged to my A/V system with only the HDMI cable. It mostly works great, but when listening to music, when the screen goes black, the sound is cut off.

Is there an option (other than never having a black screen, I need to save my plasma display from burns...) so that sound goes through the HDMI cable even though there is no video? Or will this AMDGPU DC fix this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

You may be right, I went from a 60Hz straight to this 144 Hz fs2 monitor so like you say maybe the jump in refresh rate I am noticing more than Freesync !

Is there anything like the windmill demo for use linux users ? bridgman
                    Yea, just the higher refresh rate alone does a lot to lessen the impact of stuttering with v-sync.
                    A 60hz display running double buffered v-sync can only display the following frame rates: 60, 30, 15 etc...
                    A 144hz monitor running double buffered v-sync can display the following frame rates: 144, 72, 48, 36, 28.8, 26 etc...
                    So as you can see, with the 144hz display the steps get quite close at lower frame rates which means less stuttering.
                    Freesync is even better though as it removes these steps entirely and allows for almost any arbitrary number while still being synchronized.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I think it's clear who the stupid one is.

Comment

Working...
                      X