Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

    Phoronix: Linux 4.17 To Enable AMDGPU DC By Default For All Supported GPUs

    Since the introduction of the AMDGPU DC display code (formerly known as DAL) in Linux 4.15, this modern display stack has just been enabled by default for newer Radeon Vega and Raven Ridge devices. With Linux 4.17 that is changing with AMDGPU DC being enabled by default across the board for supported GPUs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...C-4.17-Default

  • #2
    One less boot parameter.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
      I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
      But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.

      Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows

      Comment


      • #4
        Let Ukuu (Ubuntu Kernel Upgrade Utility) be your friend. You can filter by bleeding edge kernel releases or mainline only.

        http://www.teejeetech.in/p/ukuu-kern...e-utility.html

        Here's a guide for Linux Mint users

        https://mintguide.org/tools/691-ukuu...e-utility.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh...by the way....YAY on AMDGPU DC by default in 4.17. My desktop and laptop Bristol Ridge is going to love this along with Mesa 18. But I have two laptops with Mullins based APUs...GCN 1.1 era. Any love coming their way vis a vis AMDGPU anytime soon-ish ??
          Last edited by Jumbotron; 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Kaveri APU - A10-7860K Godavari 0x130f?
            AMD Radeon R7 Spectre, GNC 1.1, ALUs 512,
            AMD-Radeon-R200-Serie („Volcanic Islands“)
            Last edited by nuetzel; 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice to see Hawaii in the list too. I'll have to see if my GPU hang problem got fixed by some of these power management changes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
                But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.
                If you don't figure it out after a few minutes of Googling, you're doing it wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                  I would be glad to see a tutorial on how to enable it manually with 4.15 since we won't see 4.17+ until Ubuntu 18.10.
                  I have no clue about how to set boot parameters. If you know it this may be simple.
                  But if you don't you will get a headache after a few minutes of research.

                  Also maybe a test on how Freesync support works and how it compares to Windows
                  Depends on your bootloader (grub, systemd-boot/gummiboot etc.). You should be able to find Ubuntu instructions with Google.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                    But I have two laptops with Mullins bases APUs...GCN 1.1 era. Any love coming their way vis a vis AMDGPU anytime soon-ish ??
                    Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
                    Kaveri APU - A10-7860K Godavari 0x130f?
                    AMD Radeon R7 Spectre, GNC 1.1, ALUs 512,
                    AMD-Radeon-R200-Serie („Volcanic Islands“)
                    I didn't quite understand the logic associated with enabling DC for pre-Vega parts (it seems to do the same whether the PRE_VEGA option is present or not) but Mullins & Kaveri seem to be getting enabled as well.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 03-16-2018, 09:34 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X