No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now been banned again, for a week, despite having stopped to swear and being aggressive. Maybe Michael just doesn't want to see me in the forums ever again - I don't know.

He doesn't say anything to me personally - I've just got a second ban and that's it. No explanations or anything.

OK, then, I will treat this silence as a request to shut up. Perhaps, the critical mass of Linux users on thes forums just doesn't want a different opinion. Let it be. Over and out.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Maybe "people" should start with themselves because every news piece which mentions NVIDIA, starts with "F you NVIDIA" as if the company royally f*ed them, left them jobless, burned their homes and killed their children.

Any company which is not 100% pro open source also receives hate, I mean in the recent news piece about Google financing two full time developers just to fix security issues in the Linux kernel people started accusing the company of implanting back doors.

Again, I didn't start the crapfest here but I'm sure as hell ready to retaliate when I see all this blind stupid aggression from the people absolute most of whom have never submitted a single bug report.

I do understand that a marginal OS attracts marginals but someone has to stop with the hate which everything not open source receives in troves every day.

It doesn't help anyone but it sure as hell drives people away from Linux. Even Windows fans admit their OS is not without glaring issues but for Linux fans their OS is perfection which is only stained by the existence of companies which prefer the closed source development model.

And this model is employed for some reasons by up to 99.99% games which indicates that open source does not and cannot work for all use cases.
      But that's the problem: you're not retaliating against something hostile said to you or about you, which would be understandable, you're retaliating against something said about an effing company, as if that company was you! But whatever, calling out fanboys and/or people saying (allegedly) stupid/wrong things on the Internet is an absolutely fine habit to have and we all do it (queue XKCD #386) but again, the way you're saying what you're saying is what ends up branding you as the @ssh0le. Maybe you've noticed that even people agreeing with you (or trying to agree) pretty much always add a little disclaimer in their posts about their disagreement with your attitude? That ought to be ringing some bells already.

You get pissed with (allegedly) clueless fanboys beginning threads with generic "F you NVIDIA" posts or praising the FOSS model like the be all end all software development paradigm, and you want to put them in their place and show them how absolutely wrong they are, and that's OK, by all means have a go at them. But if you're gonna end up derailing the thread even further than the people you're replying to, and alienating even the people that would otherwise agree with you, then I don't know if it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

OK, I've spent a few minutes to search and here we are:

Absolute lie. 5000 series thermals were actually a little better or equal at worse comparing same tier models.

Absolute lie. Intel has been increasing prices gradually over the years, i5 for example: 760(205USD)->655K(216USD)->2500K(216USD)->3570K(225USD)->4670K(242USD)->6600K(243USD)->7600K(242USD)->8600K(257USD)->9600K(262USD)->10600K(262USD). 11600K is rumored to be around 300USD. Same goes for the i7. Also, comparing i5 with i7 to prove the point is super cringe and misrepresenting the situation.

Just LOL (nonsence number based on nothing)

I won't waste any more time on this. Just stop with all those toxic posts. It's your typical behavior: go to AMD-related topic, post some misrepresenting bullshit, wait for reactions and then call everyone AMD fanboy.
        Considering how many years it took, and adjusting price for inflation, it is almost like Intel didn't increase prices at all. 205USD for 760 to 10600k (262USD) is a lot of years.

AMD recent price increase was something far surpassing inflation.

To be honest, Intel right now is correct budget option as Intel actually decreased pricing to be competitve. Weak point of Intel is prices of Z-mobos to get XMP memory, but pricing of 10400 for example became pretty atractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

But that's the problem: you're not retaliating against something hostile said to you or about you, which would be understandable, you're retaliating against something said about an effing company, as if that company was you! But whatever, calling out fanboys and/or people saying (allegedly) stupid/wrong things on the Internet is an absolutely fine habit to have and we all do it (queue XKCD #386) but again, the way you're saying what you're saying is what ends up branding you as the @ssh0le. Maybe you've noticed that even people agreeing with you (or trying to agree) pretty much always add a little disclaimer in their posts about their disagreement with your attitude? That ought to be ringing some bells already.

You get pissed with (allegedly) clueless fanboys beginning threads with generic "F you NVIDIA" posts or praising the FOSS model like the be all end all software development paradigm, and you want to put them in their place and show them how absolutely wrong they are, and that's OK, by all means have a go at them. But if you're gonna end up derailing the thread even further than the people you're replying to, and alienating even the people that would otherwise agree with you, then I don't know if it's worth it.
          Thing is, there is just no being polite or respectful to fanboys who have no ability to process logic. They know they are assholes and are damned proud to be one.

The only way to put those people in their place is to be an even bigger and nastier asshole than them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

No, birdie looks so outrageous because all he does is being outrageously full with hostility, lack of humbleness, self-entitlement and superiority complex. It's not that he's wrong in everything he says (in fact I myself also prefer Nvidia for various reasons), but the way he says what he says, oh boy, now that's outrageous. pal666 may be... let's say, outspoken with his opinions, but he doesn't provoke other people without reason, nor does he turn threads into a flaming sh*tfest on a regular basis like birdie does.

There are other people here that disagree with Nvidia or Wayland or whatever else, but do you see people jumping over themselves for a chance to bash their posts in the same way the do so with birdie's? No, you do not. IMHO, birdie really needs to take a break for a while and reevaluate his online life and what he hopes to achieve with such behavior. It used to be that he was known in the Linux community for his mostly valid list of Linux issues; now he's known mostly for being an @ssh0le.

No, people hate (on) you for being toxic, for insulting them, for flaming every other thread, for spouting non-facts and trying to pass them as facts, and TL;DR for acting like a total d*ck. And as I've said already in the past, I really can't believe that this d*ck who's been ranting and frothing and raging here at the Phoronix forums like a spoiled 12yo redditor on crack, is really that same Artem S. Tashkinov [that] is an avid supporter of the Open Source movement and Open Source projects. He has helped to resolve numerous bugs across many open source projects such as the kernel, KDE, Wine, GCC, Midnight Commander, X.org and many others. He's been using Linux exclusively since 1999. I really can't.
            Time I was flamed with "nvidiots" by pal666 is countless and many of those were directed onto me. I think honestly he was on average way more agressive then Birdie.

That being said, the problem of this forum is that a lot of people here are dealing directly with code of Kernel, or X.org or Wayland or KDE/Gnome/and more. And of course for you devs it makes sense that inability to see a code that potentially couses problem is legit reason to dislike something. But here is a thing, you are a small slice of linux users. Of course we are thankful for your work. But from perspective of user what counts the most is usability. And of course dual boot. Which is a reason a lot of devs are often disconnected from actual use.
            I am user of both linux and windows and for me it is more right tool for a job.

What you [people] don't realize Birdie is more AMD hater then Nvidia fanboy. And a lot of people lost their patience with AMD drivers that aren't ready early enough on Linux and were crashing on Windows and simply sold AMD card to buy Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              ok tell me you as a consumer who buy a key on ebay how can you detect if the key is a cheap legal used/recycled key or an stolen key ?
              you can't... so in the end microsoft will sue you.
              I asked about this when I was looking at turning one of my old Linux boxes back into a Windows system for a home admin box since Win7 was no longer getting security updates and the old admin system was too old to run Win10.

The answer I was given was basically "if it's cheap then it's stolen, if it's expensive then it's probably stolen". I like to think the situation is not quite that bad but agree it's hard to tell.

AFAIK the most common scam is not so much "stolen" as "selling the same license to multiple people".
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                well in my point of view the law is broken no consumer can detect if it is cheap but stolen or it is cheap because legal recycled key.
                the LAW makers means the government need to stop this.

i use linux only only because i hate microsoft for stuff like this.
                On this stuff I hate Microsoft for different reasons. Like here in Australia its perfectly legal go by OEM versions of Windows 10 pro and install them on your own system. The recommend retail is around $349 AUD yet sells for like $220 all the time with DVD. You go to the Microsoft site by download copy you have to pay $339 AUD. Yes it gets more stupid.

TechBuy is one of Australia's largest online computer hardware, server, peripheral, digital camera, printer, stationery, phone and gaming consoles (Playstation, Wii, Xbox) suppliers.

This is a company that you are 100 percent buying legal in Australia.

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - DVD, 1 Pack DSP OEI DVD, 64-Bit - OEM
                Part No: 396841
                $216.90

Microsoft Microsoft Windows OE Microsoft Windows Pro 10 32bit / 64bit All Languages
                Electronic Download Only
                Part No: 415699
                $275.50
                Yes that right the one where you get a box and a DVD costs less than the one where all you get is the product key. If everything was truly equal a electronic download copy should always be cheaper than the retail packaged and sent but in Microsoft case for the pure 100 percent clean first user keys they are not. Of course this does come down to your countries laws. Australian fair trading laws anyone is allowed to use OEM items here.

Very cheep copies of Windows 10 are questionable on legality at times.

Over 1,700 North American computer refurbishers will be affected when Microsoft consolidates its refurbisher programs this year. The tech giant pledged to continue providing software licenses to them, but questions about cost remain. Microsoft on June 4 sent an email …Continue Reading→

The real cheapest you can buy a Windows 10 pro license that is 100 percent legal is about 6USD each but you are meant to be buying 60,000 copies and be registered to get access. So yes its is legally possible to get a dirt cheap Windows 10 license if you can deal with a pc refurbished and are not working on a brand new stack of hardware. Please note this comes with a sticker to go on the computer with "WINDOWS 10 PRO FOR REFURB PCS" with the product key on it. Of course this means having a computer recycler close enough to you to buy this.

This is the stupid part a lot of cases if you need a Windows 10 license for a computer over 12 months old and there is a Microsoft PC refurbisher near you its normally cheaper and legally safer to go there and buy the Windows 10 license from them than using any of the horrible websites so called selling licenses. Yes they normally have to inspect your machine that its not new.

I really do wish more computer stores were allowed to sell the Microsoft PC refurbisher keys because at under 50 dollars it would put most of those questionable license sell sites out of business. Please note the under 50 dollars allow a fee for computer inspection.

Comment

Working...
                X