No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to say that although I do agree that AMD has unjustified fanboism in these forums, and although I do like Nvidia products (not their Linux support), those 24 hours with bye bye birdie gave Phoronix some well deserved peace. I'd like to think he's learned to expressed his opinions in a less self-entitled way, but I'm afraid that would be impossible.

Yes, this is offtopic, but I tried to post ontopic in page 1 and then the usual fanboy shit hits the fan, so whatever.
    Last edited by sabian2008; 06 March 2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
      1. The quote you've just found has nothing to do with me being an Intel/AMD fanboy. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.
      2. Lots of people consider 6700XT to be overpriced, e.g. https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/statu...89923850317825
      The card being overpriced doesn't entitle you to use totally inappropriate language.
      I mean, I'm not offended of course, but it's just the msrp of a graphic card, that users won't be able to buy anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        It's all very nice but you can't buy a graphics card for love or money right now whether you're an open source zealot or not, it's a GPU desert out there.
        sadly New Graphics cards are so expensive ( in Australia they are ) depending on the type of one you want, my current card is a 1050, no way i can kinda afford anything better

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          It surprises me that it appears Volta got banned for whatever reason, but birdie is not banned, why is that? Birdie keeps trolling people and insulting them constantly. I am sorry but i don't think Volta was more offensive than birdie. Just my opinion.

PS: It is hilarious that a person keeps telling people to buy W10 licenses in an open source forum...
          These whole forums are full of hot garbage, and birdie is just one small part of that. Arguments about who is worse than who is missing the point. There are probably 15+ people who need to be perma-banned, but it's pretty obvious that will never happen. So.... We can either get used to skipping over 30 troll posts in every thread, or stop reading.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 06 March 2021, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Honestly, i recognize what Intel AMD and Nvidia do. All of them have own good sides and bad sides. But problem of actual constructive discussion of any sort, is that there is a ton of AMD fanboys, and even some tech reviewers in the past admitted that they have to be careful with criticizing AMD because tons of haters jump on them. Der8auer made extremly good video on that https://youtu.be/x03FyPQ3a3E
            Literally if you have reason to hate Nvidia, people jump on Nvidia. Fine.
            If people find a reason to hate Intel, people jump on Intel as well. Fine.
            Try to hate AMD. people will jump on you.

Try to count all fanboys of AMD on this forum - a ton of it. Literally a ton of it. And then look at Intel - company that does open source stuff needed, contributed to Linux way more then AMD and for far longer time, even made own distro for sake of optimalizations and based on it, some common distros used some stuff made by Intel to improve performance. And guess what - no fanboys of Intel. I don't remember a fanboy of Intel on this forum for quite long time despite that by far the most progress from hardware manufacture is done by them. And I say that as a person who builded 2 recent PCs with AMD CPUs.

Of course there are (right) reasons to hate Nvidia. But look at this thread, Nvidia now makes DMA-BUF, tries to talk with maintainers of distros and bring support. If you are Nvidia user - great you will be able to use decently Wayland for once. If you are not Nvidia user, still great for you as it speeds up Wayland adoption and allows to throw old garbage into bin faster. Everybody wins, yet there are some posts around here still spitting hate at positive news. Well fine.

Birdie went overboard for sure, but reason why he looks so outrageous is because he is a single person on opposite barricade, I could count moments Pal666 went overboard even worse yet no one ever gonna ban him because more people are on same side of barricade as him.
            Agreed, AMD fanbase is a real cesspool. Most narcissistic, egoistic, sensitive snowflakes in the world. Can't say even one thing wrong about AMD, must only say good things and bow in praise of AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

The card being overpriced doesn't entitle you to use totally inappropriate language.
              Tell that to the bunch of fanboys and rude, self-entitled users here. I can easily point out at least three who have yet to be given any warnings or bans, yet almost every single post of theirs consist of personal attacks and insults. Yet no action has ever been taken against them simply because they are on the cultist horde's side.

Comment

Also, I've asked you to quote me on "nonsense and lies" - again you've provided nothing.
                OK, I've spent a few minutes to search and here we are:

I am not a fan that AMD has OC'ed their CPUs to the absolute limit this time around in order to beat Intel at 1080p by a few percent and by doing so worsened their thermals quite a lot
                Absolute lie. 5000 series thermals were actually a little better or equal at worse comparing same tier models.

Intel used to release new substantially faster CPU architectures without doing this: Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Sky Lake were all a lot faster than previous generation CPUs without price hikes and in certain cases even cost substantially less than their predecessors, e.g. the Intel Core i5-2500K was released for $216 while the Intel Core i7-920 cost $305.
                Absolute lie. Intel has been increasing prices gradually over the years, i5 for example: 760(205USD)->655K(216USD)->2500K(216USD)->3570K(225USD)->4670K(242USD)->6600K(243USD)->7600K(242USD)->8600K(257USD)->9600K(262USD)->10600K(262USD). 11600K is rumored to be around 300USD. Same goes for the i7. Also, comparing i5 with i7 to prove the point is super cringe and misrepresenting the situation.

1% Linux users, out of them 1% use Wayland.
                Just LOL (nonsence number based on nothing)

I won't waste any more time on this. Just stop with all those toxic posts. It's your typical behavior: go to AMD-related topic, post some misrepresenting bullshit, wait for reactions and then call everyone AMD fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Tell that to the bunch of fanboys and rude, self-entitled users here. I can easily point out at least three who have yet to be given any warnings or bans, yet almost every single post of theirs consist of personal attacks and insults. Yet no action has ever been taken against them simply because they are on the cultist horde's side.
                  Welcome to the Phoronix forums. You must be new here.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                    Birdie went overboard for sure, but reason why he looks so outrageous is because he is a single person on opposite barricade, I could count moments Pal666 went overboard even worse yet no one ever gonna ban him because more people are on same side of barricade as him.
                    No, birdie looks so outrageous because all he does is being outrageously full with hostility, lack of humbleness, self-entitlement and superiority complex. It's not that he's wrong in everything he says (in fact I myself also prefer Nvidia for various reasons), but the way he says what he says, oh boy, now that's outrageous. pal666 may be... let's say, outspoken with his opinions, but he doesn't provoke other people without reason, nor does he turn threads into a flaming sh*tfest on a regular basis like birdie does.

There are other people here that disagree with Nvidia or Wayland or whatever else, but do you see people jumping over themselves for a chance to bash their posts in the same way the do so with birdie's? No, you do not. IMHO, birdie really needs to take a break for a while and reevaluate his online life and what he hopes to achieve with such behavior. It used to be that he was known in the Linux community for his mostly valid list of Linux issues; now he's known mostly for being an @ssh0le.

People agree with your inane posts for some reasons - maybe they just hate me for being rational and not being part of the cult, I don't know.
                    No, people hate (on) you for being toxic, for insulting them, for flaming every other thread, for spouting non-facts and trying to pass them as facts, and TL;DR for acting like a total d*ck. And as I've said already in the past, I really can't believe that this d*ck who's been ranting and frothing and raging here at the Phoronix forums like a spoiled 12yo redditor on crack, is really that same Artem S. Tashkinov [that] is an avid supporter of the Open Source movement and Open Source projects. He has helped to resolve numerous bugs across many open source projects such as the kernel, KDE, Wine, GCC, Midnight Commander, X.org and many others. He's been using Linux exclusively since 1999. I really can't.
                    Last edited by Nocifer; 07 March 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Speaking of me claiming that ryzen 5000 CPUs are OC'ed to their absolute limit: they have almost zero OC headroom. It's pretty much in all ryzen 5000 reviews on the net.

Speaking of high temperatures: open r/AMD and you'll find a good number of topics with people whose ryzen 5800 CPUs throttle under normal conditions without OC applied while the CPUs reach temperatures above 90C.

Speaking of AMD rising prices like crazy: Intel has never increased their prices by 50/33% for comparable CPUs in a single generation. AMD on the other hand:

3600-5600X $200->$300
                      3700X-5800C $330->$450

The sentiment and resentment are shared by thousands of people in the r/AMD community.

Sorry, you've accused me of spreading pure lies and nonsense but so far I've done nothing like that.

So, please, continue to scrutinize my posting history to justify your lies about me. Too bad you'll find nothing because I'm not an effing fanboy of any company under the sun. It's hard for you, a hardcore AMD fan, to accept that. You don't choose products, you choose sides.

Comment

Working...
                      X