NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Speaking of me claiming that ryzen 5000 CPUs are OC'ed to their absolute limit: they have almost zero OC headroom. It's pretty much in all ryzen 5000 reviews on the net.
    Great. I have not opposed you regarding this specific point. Max boosts out of the factory is actually the right thing to do, it's far more user-friendly from the average consumer point of view. Imagine that - ranting about CPUs being configured for the maximum performance out of the box. Cringe.

Speaking of high temperatures: open r/AMD and you'll find a good number of topics with people whose ryzen 5800 CPUs throttle under normal conditions without OC applied while the CPUs reach temperatures above 90C..
    On average ZEN3 have lower or similar thermals in comparison to ZEN2 counterparts. 5800 here is outlier caused by inadequate BIOS defaults on some MBs most likely.

Speaking of AMD rising prices like crazy: Intel has never increased their prices by 50/33% for comparable CPUs in a single generation.
    Oh, so now we are talking specific percentages? So convenient for you to add this post-factum. That's what I'm talking about, misrepresenting/misleading stuff. BTW, Intel has increased it's top mainstream CPU price by 40% by adding i9 brand there with 9900K. But I guess it's OK for you, since these are "not comparable" due core count difference. Maybe you should compare 7700K with 10100 and come to conclusion that Intel reduced the price 4 times for comparable model?...

Sorry, you've accused me of spreading pure lies and nonsense but so far I've done nothing like that.
    Except posting factually incorrect or misleading statements regarding Intel pricing, ZEN3 thermals, wayland share etc. - no. Also some other genius takes, like "gsync is not a vendor lock-in, because you can still use the monitor with AMD GPU" LOL.

So, please, continue to scrutinize my posting history to justify your lies about me. Too bad you'll find nothing because I'm not an effing fanboy of any company under the sun. It's hard for you, a hardcore AMD fan, to accept that. You don't choose products, you choose sides.
    If you are not a fanboy, then stop acting like one. Your regular attacks and toxic posts are not helping you to prove that. Get your facts straight and don't manipulate data to misrepresent the situation according to your twisted views. Stop that childish attitude where you insert yourself into AMD threads and post some border-line attacking messages. When I'll reconsider you being a fanboy.

I see no point in escalating this discussion any further, but I will call you out in the future for any possible misleading stuff you will most likely be posting.

PS. I am not AMD fanboy, in fact I'm using Intel + NVIDIA build (not that owned HW proves anything anyway). You won't find any blind and/or emotional AMD praisings made by me. I also agree with part of your posts, but it does not change the fact other ones are asshole-like hit pieces on AMD users.
    Last edited by drakonas777; 07 March 2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
      No, people hate (on) you for being toxic, for insulting them, for flaming every other thread, for spouting non-facts and trying to pass them as facts
      Maybe "people" should start with themselves because every news piece which mentions NVIDIA, starts with "F you NVIDIA" as if the company royally f*ed them, left them jobless, burned their homes and killed their children.

Any company which is not 100% pro open source also receives hate, I mean in the recent news piece about Google financing two full time developers just to fix security issues in the Linux kernel people started accusing the company of implanting back doors.

Again, I didn't start the crapfest here but I'm sure as hell ready to retaliate when I see all this blind stupid aggression from the people absolute most of whom have never submitted a single bug report.

I do understand that a marginal OS attracts marginals but someone has to stop with the hate which everything not open source receives in troves every day.

It doesn't help anyone but it sure as hell drives people away from Linux. Even Windows fans admit their OS is not without glaring issues but for Linux fans their OS is perfection which is only stained by the existence of companies which prefer the closed source development model.

And this model is employed for some reasons by up to 99.99% games which indicates that open source does not and cannot work for all use cases.

Last edited by birdie; 07 March 2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        What's the point of this wall of text?

Did AMD raise the prices of the most popular and sought after CPUs by an amount even its archenemy had never dared? Yes, they did. I don't give a flying <polite> why it happened. The cost price of those CPUs is less than $100.

BTW you seem not be following any news, right? Have you heard that AMD gross margin had increased substantially recently which means they deliberately overcharge their customers because the competitive pressure is a lot lower and they now have the fastest CPUs on the market? God, I've already made all my points in the review of the ryzen 5800 on phoronix. I don't want to get back to that discussion again, period.

We're now arguing that I'm lying and shilling for NVIDIA and Intel - the two statements which no one has been able to prove to any extent. And that I'm in love with Windows despite doing more for open source than most of phoronix commentators combined and using Linux exclusively since the late 90s when many users of these forum had yet to be conceived.
        Last edited by birdie; 07 March 2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

you complete miss my point you argue that price is 100€ higher or 100€ lower... or lets say 500€ higher...
          outside of your 12year old childisch world play game on a 500€ computer real professionals buy 10 000€ computer to do important work.

stop be a 12 year old boy who want cheap 500€ computer and start to become a professional who buy 10 000€ computer.

you can't afford it ? lets say you have to become even more professional then you can.
          How does your PC elitism fit in our discussion? I've completely lost you.

Comment

I like PC Elitism... and many people here in this forum have expensive computer like this.
            and they read you... and wonder why you talk about 100€ more or 100€ less...

why are you here in a professional forum like this ?
            There is nothing professional in this forum filled with people using AMD Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs, and not Threadrippers, dual socket EPYCs or Radeon PROs. And there's nothing professional about you not even being able to string a coherent sentence in proper English.

You dare talk about professional? Where's your dual socket EPYC workstation? Or Threadripper HEDT? Why are you bitching at AMD for not having ROCm in your consumer-grade Radeon GPUs and not spending 10000€ to buy Radeon PRO or Radeon Instinct GPUs that are compatible with ROCm?

birdie Just blacklist these people and move on. Don't waste time arguing with elitists who don't even know how to hold a proper discussion in grammatically-correct English without shifting the goalposts.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 07 March 2021, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Maybe "people" should start with themselves because every news piece which mentions NVIDIA, starts with "F you NVIDIA" as if the company royally f*ed them, left them jobless, burned their homes and killed their children.
              You're saying you know you're an asshole but everyone else deserves it because other people are assholes too.

That's literally the argument a 5 year old makes.

Come on, man.

Comment

I like PC Elitism... and many people here in this forum have expensive computer like this.
                and they read you... and wonder why you talk about 100€ more or 100€ less...

why are you here in a professional forum like this ?
                Oh dear. Another fake baller. How yawn inducing.

Just depriving Microsoft of €100 is reason enough to never buy an M$ license. If you fund them, you're funding the company that has done more harm to FOSS and technology in general than everyone else combined.

Comment

Extremely interesting times for anyone planning to buy a laptop in the next 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

to tell people something positive about nvidia is not a problem
                    somebody apposes is not a problem
                    say f off is not a problem...

but what is a problem: tell people in a linux forum to buy windows 10 for 10€ to play games.
                    and i tell you why:

in germany microsoft does sue anyone who buy cheap 10€ windows lizence keys on ebay.
                    this means birdie is really a destructive person who want to hurt people.

if someone follow birdie advice buy a 10€ key on ebay and then microsoft sue him he has to pay 3000€ fine or 3 years in prison.
                    then it is clear that birdie is a criminal.
                    This is a very weird situation and many people are very confused who got those letters. In germany, the reselling of used OEM licenses is completely legal, this was already tried by Microsoft and they lost. Many hardware recycles sell those to earn a quick buck on the side. That is why used software licenses are so cheap in Germany.
                    But of course, it may be illegal to buy a stolen key the seller had no right to sell. That is the actual legal case here, software piracy and money laundering.
                    Like buying a used car and later learning that it was stolen.

I know many people who bought used windows licenses over the years simply due to their tried and proven legality and are now left in confusion if they may get a letter from law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Agreed, AMD fanbase is a real cesspool. Most narcissistic, egoistic, sensitive snowflakes in the world. Can't say even one thing wrong about AMD, must only say good things and bow in praise of AMD.
                      Sorry, but Intel deserves that.
                      I used to love intel laptops for years, because open source and low power consumption.
                      They GFX cards are still very poor, their CPUs are pricey, and they sometimes release multiple CPU sockets in one year (it's planned obsolescence, so motherboard makers loves Intel)
                      Do I hate Intel? No. Still all my machines got Intel CPUs, because I'm using mostly recycled equipment.
                      I've used Athlon XP in the past, because they were cheaper then(and more power efficient) and if I would be in position to assemble new machine, then AMD is the only reasonable choice (until somebody sells Intel really cheap), because there will be newer AMD CPUs fitting old socket and it's also easier to find compatible motherboard in case of failure.

Do I hate nVidia? No, but I would never go into closed-source crap again. I was happy Geforce 4 and some newer chip then, and the second one had PCIE-AGP chip and it hanged few times a week(especially while playing games). It was reasonable then to buy nVidia for linux desktop users, because they got fantastic drivers (ATI FGLRX was utter crap then, with poor performance, lagging month after kernel release). And what about Intel? It was enough to play Quake 3 on Windows /1024x768 res, but under linux you could run TuxRacer or TuxKart in low setting at this resolution, but except that there was only Quake3 and few other commercial games (but I've enjoyed Linux much more, so it was worth to switch to it).
                      I've switched to Thinkpad T60p with FireGL gfx and nice UXGA IPS screen then and it was best choice ever. Drivers development was in pace(with two different OpenGL drivers[mesa/non-mesa] combined with classic/KMS backends), and because Dave Airlied had identical machine, he fixed it usually in few hours after I reported bugs over IRC.

For desktops machines I've got two recycled machines with Vega 64 and radeon VII, but I don't have time to use them(I will make NASes and simd for kids soon).
                      I would love to buy 6800 or 6900XT, becaue I love how Raytraced pictures look. But I'm tight on budged and think even about reselling current gfx cards, because they costs ten times more, that what I've payed for them in 1st bitcoin mining collapse.

Comment

Working...
                      X