X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Amazing news.
    How long for games based on Wayland?
    Some games with linux versions that use SDL2 work already native on wayland with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
    0ad got it in the last update.
    I have not many games on Steam but at least Transport Fever 2 with that in the Launch options on steam or as environment variable work fine easy test is to use xeyes

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Amazing news.
      How long for games based on Wayland?
      A lot of Linux games are using SDL2 so if you force Wayland (sometimes you will need to replace SDL2 libraries that came with game because they might have Wayland support disabled) with some luck you will be able to run game natively under Wayland. Some other libraries like GLFW also supports Wayland.

In most cases there is no need for game developer to care about Wayland as long game aren't touching any X11 only API for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

to tell people something positive about nvidia is not a problem
        somebody apposes is not a problem
        say f off is not a problem...

but what is a problem: tell people in a linux forum to buy windows 10 for 10€ to play games.
        and i tell you why:

in germany microsoft does sue anyone who buy cheap 10€ windows lizence keys on ebay.
        this means birdie is really a destructive person who want to hurt people.

if someone follow birdie advice buy a 10€ key on ebay and then microsoft sue him he has to pay 3000€ fine or 3 years in prison.
        then it is clear that birdie is a criminal.
        Even worse, I remember he installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC on his machine at no cost...

Comment

That's a pleasant second hand rumor. But factually, it's looking like my nvidia gpu was a poor investment. I just hope they get this working before every OS defaults to wayland, because I won't be making the same mistake twice.

When all gpus are overpriced and scarce, the only variable left is OS support. And nvidia is currently failing there. Let's hope the rumor proves true before I click buy on an AMD waitlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

to tell people something positive about nvidia is not a problem
            somebody apposes is not a problem
            say f off is not a problem...

but what is a problem: tell people in a linux forum to buy windows 10 for 10€ to play games.
            and i tell you why:

in germany microsoft does sue anyone who buy cheap 10€ windows lizence keys on ebay.
            this means birdie is really a destructive person who want to hurt people.

if someone follow birdie advice buy a 10€ key on ebay and then microsoft sue him he has to pay 3000€ fine or 3 years in prison.
            then it is clear that birdie is a criminal.
            Well Germany is probably worst world for licenses, but for anyone, 10$ license key is not illegal because it is generated in false way, but because it is OEM license meant only to be used by specific OEM. Some unused licenses gets sold away this way, but it doesn't mean it is legal as license is not meant for you.

Anyway, Germany deserves a ton of hate, as it allows patent trolls like Sisvell to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              And this, is how birdie ruins threads.

1. Say something positive about NVIDIA
              2. Somebody opposes
              3. Say "kindly f off"
              4. ???
              5. Flamewar Started!

This is obvious fanboy behavior, even if he does not think he is...
              The other thing that ticks me off is that he put so much info in his profile to look more important, and even his whole ignore list... Is he this full of hate?

I just hope he doesn't start to spit out hate mail to Phoronix....
              Honestly, i recognize what Intel AMD and Nvidia do. All of them have own good sides and bad sides. But problem of actual constructive discussion of any sort, is that there is a ton of AMD fanboys, and even some tech reviewers in the past admitted that they have to be careful with criticizing AMD because tons of haters jump on them. Der8auer made extremly good video on that https://youtu.be/x03FyPQ3a3E
              Literally if you have reason to hate Nvidia, people jump on Nvidia. Fine.
              If people find a reason to hate Intel, people jump on Intel as well. Fine.
              Try to hate AMD. people will jump on you.

Try to count all fanboys of AMD on this forum - a ton of it. Literally a ton of it. And then look at Intel - company that does open source stuff needed, contributed to Linux way more then AMD and for far longer time, even made own distro for sake of optimalizations and based on it, some common distros used some stuff made by Intel to improve performance. And guess what - no fanboys of Intel. I don't remember a fanboy of Intel on this forum for quite long time despite that by far the most progress from hardware manufacture is done by them. And I say that as a person who builded 2 recent PCs with AMD CPUs.

Of course there are (right) reasons to hate Nvidia. But look at this thread, Nvidia now makes DMA-BUF, tries to talk with maintainers of distros and bring support. If you are Nvidia user - great you will be able to use decently Wayland for once. If you are not Nvidia user, still great for you as it speeds up Wayland adoption and allows to throw old garbage into bin faster. Everybody wins, yet there are some posts around here still spitting hate at positive news. Well fine.

Birdie went overboard for sure, but reason why he looks so outrageous is because he is a single person on opposite barricade, I could count moments Pal666 went overboard even worse yet no one ever gonna ban him because more people are on same side of barricade as him.

Comment

I would have thought that this is obvious, but halfway decent NVIDIA support is important for Linux and open source not for people who already use it, but for Windows users who dip their toes in to try it out. Linux users learn quickly to buy AMD or Intel depending on their needs. On the other hand, Windows users have what they have to test on and if they have a bad experience, they'll sour on Linux perhaps forever. It's one of the reasons so many in Linux-land won't have anything to do with KDE, in spite of it being an excellent desktop environment these days. Let's get them to Linux first, then when they eventually buy a new system, then they buy hardware that's good for Linux, such as Intel/AMD.

Comment

> Linux users learn quickly to buy AMD or Intel depending on their needs
                  Don't say like it's a truth.
                  I'm on GNU/Linux for 8+ years and i still buy nvidia and my next card will be nvidia, because it just works
                  I know many people who bought RX 6800XT and it didn't work on linux and they sold it in favor of nvidia, even considering that nvidia has less vram

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
                    I know many people who bought RX 6800XT
                    Now tell us where you live because there aren't many of these cards around these days...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Games for Wayland ... you mean Linux? Give me your weed fast! Enjoy a shit show called Wine/DXVK because it's the brightest part of Linux at the moment. Just think about it: to enjoy Linux you must use hacks and compatibility layers to run Win32 code while at the same time you can spend the whole $10 for an OEM license and run software at native speed without bugs and crashes. Oh, damn.
                      You forget Linux native games. Some of which work quite well. Especially the ones ported by Feral Interactive, that use Vulkan.

Comment

Working...
                      X