Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470 Linux Driver Series To Be "Even More Wayland-Friendly"

The next major NVIDIA driver series, the 470 release series, is slated to be "even more Wayland-friendly" but what all that encompasses remains to be seen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even if it's a more Wayland-friendly driver, being proprietary and closed you will never know what will happen in the future. If, for any reason, it breaks in future because of X thing changed in Linux/Gnome/Whatever, you cannot count on their support.

I will stick with AMD for now and for future computers I will buy, the open drivers are absolute awesome and stability is great.

I still have an old NVIDIA notebook to play with CUDA, but that's it, I'm not waiting to run Wayland on it...

Last, but not least: fu** you NVIDIA!

Comment

It's all very nice but you can't buy a graphics card for love or money right now whether you're an open source zealot or not, it's a GPU desert out there.

Comment

Seems like the software-side of this is already close to being upstreamed, having a thumbs up from Olivier Fourdan.

It is also mentioned in the same request that work is already ongoing to do offloading, allowing to run the DE in the fairly well tested iGPU and offloading to Nvidia just for games and specific applications. For me this would be a huge incentive to go back to Wayland.

Comment

Or y'know... maybe Nvidia could have just cooperated a decade ago.

Comment

It would be nice to have a roadmap of nvidia's wayland implementation. I was already looking for AMD GPUS.

Comment

Amazing news.
              How long for games based on Wayland?
              Last edited by Azrael5; 05 March 2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Or y'know... maybe Nvidia could have just cooperated a decade ago.
                DMA-BUF is not about wayland, it's just wayland uses DMA-BUF
                Iirc Firefox on X11 uses DMA-BUF for video decoding
                Last edited by d3coder; 05 March 2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Amazing news.
                  How long for games based on Wayland?
                  Games for Wayland ... you mean Linux? Give me your weed fast! Enjoy a shit show called Wine/DXVK because it's the brightest part of Linux at the moment. Just think about it: to enjoy Linux you must use hacks and compatibility layers to run Win32 code while at the same time you can spend the whole $10 for an OEM license and run software at native speed without bugs and crashes. Oh, damn.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

OMG, who are you? Oh, wait, you're a user of a God-forsaken OS which absolute most people have never heard of.

Maybe Linux has good support from game publishers and NVIDIA might lose a fair share of the GPU market because of Linux? Oh, wait, there are basically no AAA games for Linux.

Maybe Wayland has suddenly become 100% usable, has no bugs, and covers everything that X.org is able to do? Oh, wait, it doesn't.

The fuck are you so frothing about? Open Source fans continue to impress with their hostility, lack of humbleness, self-entitlement and superiority complex.

What a fucking clown show we have here in the comments section of Phoronix. LMAO.

Go to the mirror and say "Fuck you!" because it's gonna be a more reasonable thing to do. NVIDIA, unlike you, is a successful multi-billion business and it's doing just fine even though fan-atics like you beg to differ.
                    Maybe a forum about open-source and Linux is not for you ?

Comment

Working...
                    X