Intel Kaby Lake Linux Testing With MSI's Cubi 2 Mini PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugo8621 View Post
    hm, so 2 generations later, from broadwell to kaby lake and idle power didn't decrease at all...
    Looks like somebody doesn't understand how electricity works. Let's fix your incorrect comment: So 2 generations later, from broadwell to kaby lake, and the low-efficiency wall-wart power supply didn't change at all...

Comment

hm, so 2 generations later, from broadwell to kaby lake and idle power didn't decrease at all...
      I think those CPUs has cTDP so you can decrease that, in which case idle will go down too i guess.

Actually not sure if user is allowed to play with that settings on this particular device. But you probably want different and maded up benchmark, if you really wanna see what happened on idle power side.

Comment

Originally posted by kmand View Post
        Are we expecting a Koby Lake with Iris, and thats whats delay the Intel badged nucs?
        Intel's Iris GPUs are dead. Intel will be releasing the next-gen NUCs in December, with a wide release in January. It was a priority to get the U-chips out to third-party OEMs for the holiday sales, so that notebooks would have them available, and that led to third-party NUC-like designs being out before Intel's NUCs.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          So 2 generations later, from broadwell to kaby lake, and the low-efficiency wall-wart power supply didn't change at all...
          If the efficiency of the PSU keeps the same, the AC power would still decrease if the DC power decreases. Of course the PSU efficiency is lower with smaller loads, but those few watts don't change much.
          I think most power in idle is consumed by the chipset and not the cpu, and that's why there isn't much change in idle power consumption since haswell.

Comment

The article mentions core i3-5010 has 10W TDP. This isn't true, it should be the same 15W, unless the TDP down option was used (but I don't think that would make sense - that's more intended for paper-thin notebooks).

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Looks like somebody doesn't understand how electricity works. Let's fix your incorrect comment: So 2 generations later, from broadwell to kaby lake, and the low-efficiency wall-wart power supply didn't change at all...
              why is there always a comment from an 'you are stupid, I know better and teach you how it really is' person? Those posts seem unnecessary to me... Across all devices, with bad and good power supplies, idle power has dropped significantly in the last years. A few years back you had chipset losses that were higher then is now required to run whole computers, even though low power ones. So when I buy desktop computers, or parts of it, I check how idle power consumption is, since that is the state they spend the most time in... So 8W seems still quite high for me for a low power system like this, even with external PSU and afaik MSI is not known to sell you the cheapest chinese crap.

Comment

why is there always a comment from an 'you are stupid, I know better and teach you how it really is' person? Those posts seem unnecessary to me... Across all devices, with bad and good power supplies, idle power has dropped significantly in the last years. A few years back you had chipset losses that were higher then is now required to run whole computers, even though low power ones. So when I buy desktop computers, or parts of it, I check how idle power consumption is, since that is the state they spend the most time in... So 8W seems still quite high for me for a low power system like this, even with external PSU and afaik MSI is not known to sell you the cheapest chinese crap.
                'you are stupid, I know better and teach you how it really is'

There were benchmarks around from a guy that made the lowest possible idle consumption PC (by mutilating a board). And it's not just chipset but also board design.

In his benchmarks some mini-itx boards + processor + RAM +SSD were consuming like 5 watts at idle or so, while other mini-itx boards with same chipset/processor/RAM/SSD were at like 15 or even 20 watts.

In his tests the processor alone in idle is at like 2 watts.

this is the benchmark he did (it's in dutch but the graphs are readable https://ssj3gohan.tweakblogs.net/blog/cat/2217 )

Comment

So what are your requirements, what idle wattage is enogh for you?

Comment

If 8W is too much and 0W is impossible, i guess you will be happy with 0.1%

Comment

Mandatory beer: check
                      Mandatory Xonotic: check

Comment

Working...
                      X