No announcement yet.

Intel Kaby Lake Linux Testing With MSI's Cubi 2 Mini PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit offtopic - anyone know how the video playback is, especially X265?
    A bit of googling shows Linux Kaby Lake support looks a bit new, but is support for x265 accellerated HW playback available without having to check out and build assorted bleeding edge drivers?

I'm using a little Android TV box for x265 next to my older Linux PC, but would be nice to bring it all back into one open source box in the next upgrade.

I purchased one of the older Celeron MSI Cubi boxes for a VPN gateway, and it's a nice small PC.

Comment

Why has nobody mentioned the rather better GPU performance? For many users the GPU is an important element of the machine. Sadly the CPU barely gains anything but that is no surprise these days.

Also like somebody mentioned earlier info on the video decode section is of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Why has nobody mentioned the rather better GPU performance? For many users the GPU is an important element of the machine. Sadly the CPU barely gains anything but that is no surprise these days.
        As the GPU is still pretty much meh. It's not an Iris Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by zog6 View Post
          A bit offtopic - anyone know how the video playback is, especially X265?
          A bit of googling shows Linux Kaby Lake support looks a bit new, but is support for x265 accellerated HW playback available without having to check out and build assorted bleeding edge drivers?

I'm using a little Android TV box for x265 next to my older Linux PC, but would be nice to bring it all back into one open source box in the next upgrade.

I purchased one of the older Celeron MSI Cubi boxes for a VPN gateway, and it's a nice small PC.
          There's no real content with H.265, so it's pretty irrelevant at the moment. That being said, it works just fine on Skylake and what you are asking about has been in place for over a year, so it works fine on Kaby Lake, which has better hardware decoding built into the ASIC. As long as you are using the most recent media player and drivers, you should be fine, if you have to play anything with that codec.

Comment

The system booted fine from USB, the mode-set happened right away to 4K, and I was quickly to the Unity desktop complete with hardware acceleration via the HD Graphics 620.
            Hi Michael, can you please check if this new Kaby Lake HDMI 2.0 interface causes Ubuntu to register a 4k 60Hz modeline by default or only a 4k 30Hz modeline?

It's been a mess for me getting a (stable and reliable) 4k@60Hz on my current Skylake NUCs, as the Skylake NUCs don't have HDMI 2.0. This means that you have to use the mDP output with an active HDMI 2.0 adaptor, which Ubuntu with latest xorg-edgers will only auto-detect 4k@30Hz for. Calculating the 4k@60Hz modeline works fine, but several additional hacks for it to work with suspend/resume, were needed in my case

I'm really looking forward to seeing if the new integrated HDMI 2.0 works better, even though it still isn't implemented natively.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

This makes me hopeful that Kabylake support won't be the nightmare that Skylake was.

Comment

Working...
              X