Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel To Further Collaborate With Red Hat, Canonical & SUSE For Intel-Optimized Linux Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel To Further Collaborate With Red Hat, Canonical & SUSE For Intel-Optimized Linux Distros

Phoronix: Intel To Further Collaborate With Red Hat, Canonical & SUSE For Intel-Optimized Linux Distros

Intel announced this morning on the second day of their Innovation 2023 conference that they are collaborating with software vendors such as Red Hat, Canonical, and SUSE for providing Intel-optimized Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about AMD doing the same? bridgman

Comment

So... didn't Intel have their own custom distro? Haven't heard about it in a while. So could it be that the experience of maintaining that distro is going to inform other Intel optimized Red Hat and Ubuntu distros going forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        So... didn't Intel have their own custom distro? Haven't heard about it in a while.
        ClearLinux is mentioned in the article.

Comment

Sorry, forgot /sarc. But even Michael agreed with me on lack of Clear Linux news

". Intel continues to maintain their Intel-optimized Clear Linux platform with some really aggressive performance optimizations but there hasn't been too much news there recently."

Comment

The Clear Linux configs and performance patches are, IMO, a tragically under utilized resource for other distros.

CachyOS is gradually porting some of them to their Arch distro, but other than they seem to go unused outside of CL, and I hope this is a sign that is changing.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              What about AMD doing the same? bridgman
              Intel's CL optimizations already work well on AMD. And Intel built up a lot of patching and testing over the years.

Maybe they can recompile it with AOCC or something, but other than that, they shouldn't reinvent the wheel, and contribute to/promote it instead.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Intel's CL optimizations already work well on AMD. And Intel built up a lot of patching and testing over the years.

Maybe they can recompile it with AOCC or something, but other than that, they shouldn't reinvent the wheel, and contribute to/promote it instead.
                I dont know, we are talking about intel, so i still smell a trap!

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                  I dont know, we are talking about intel, so i still smell a trap!
                  on linux, intel has been more than just a standup player, they have allowed everyone else to benefit off their work. they have built and propped up whole ecosystems of open software allowing their competitors an easier route onto linux.

The Clear Linux configs and performance patches are, IMO, a tragically under utilized resource for other distros.

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

They tried experimentaly things and things that would only work on specific arches etc so not always general purpose.
                  Last edited by You-; 21 September 2023, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Yes, more packages with HWCAPS support, please!

Comment

Working...
                    X