Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Posts Xe DRM Scheduler Patches For Review

Phoronix: Intel Posts Xe DRM Scheduler Patches For Review

As part of the process for getting Intel's new Xe DRM kernel driver upstreamed as the eventual replacement to the existing i915 driver for Gen12 graphics hardware and newer, Intel engineers on Monday posted the initial Xe DRM scheduler patches that have been separated out to get review on them, figure out what can be common/shared among drivers, and get those bits upstreamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am super stoked for the xe driver!

Comment

With Arrow Lake (if I recall correctly) CPUs to feature integrated graphics as good as the DG2 Alchemist discrete cards, I am stoked for future CPUs from Intel! Might be able to get PS4 quality graphics on a laptop which would be impressive!

Comment

If I am not wrong, mobile Meteor Lake's iGPUs will feature a new architecture instead of Iris Xe, which is using Intel Arc instead. So waiting for those drivers and Meteor Lake.

Comment

A freaking year since Arc has been released and still no proper driver. What a joke

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
            A freaking year since Arc has been released and still no proper driver. What a joke
            Intel used to be great at this stuff; drivers well in advance of hardware hitting the market, but for Arc they really do seem to have struggled.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              Intel used to be great at this stuff; drivers well in advance of hardware hitting the market, but for Arc they really do seem to have struggled.
              They seem to be racing against time. That's why.

Comment

Huge Intel Arc GPU order shows Team Blue's graphics card dream is still alive
                By John Loeffler published 4 April 2023

"Still, the AMD and Nvidia duopoly doesn't do any of us any good, so having a third player in the fight would add some much-needed competition."

While you guys complain of problems, I'm extremely grateful my Linux boxes boot reliably everyday, with no random proprietary/closed-source software drivers constantly breaking or acting weird. Productive people using a computer, should simply flip the computer power switch and use their computer, without downloading/installing more additional drivers/software. (I guess some are nostalgic of Windows, and like seeing the same on Linux?)

A lot of people just need a descent discrete video card for rending video or CAD uses, rather than something either expensively geared for games or not well designed for productivity. Could spend more time itemizing the list of problems, but why bother after so many years. I'm not making any money from doing so.

I now have a desktop using an Intel Arc A750 on a 10 year old motherboard and a recent budget Dell Inspiron laptop using the Intel Xe. After ~20+ years of nVidia, finally I just turn the key and go! Finally, the high cost of a discrete graphics card apparently spent wisely. But only time will tell for sure.

Tried AMD briefly, and was not impressed either. More of an Intel guy rather than an AMD guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                  While you guys complain of problems, I'm extremely grateful my Linux boxes boot reliably everyday, with no random proprietary/closed-source software drivers constantly breaking or acting weird. Productive people using a computer, should simply flip the computer power switch and use their computer, without downloading/installing more additional drivers/software. (I guess some are nostalgic of Windows, and like seeing the same on Linux?)
                  I have two systems which do the same, and are AMD. A 3750H NUC-clone, and a 5700G box. I'm toying with installing Linux on my Asus G15, with a 5900HX and 6800M, so could even see how it goes with a dGPU, rather than just an APU.

By your argument, "productive people" should just buy a big-box-brand system and poke the "go" button... which will probably boot either Windows or OSX.

AMD have their teething issues with Linux (more so than Intel) but I've had issues with both in the past so can't say I'm too fussed one way or the other. I buy based on budget and features desired, not because of a sticker or jingle.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    With Arrow Lake (if I recall correctly) CPUs to feature integrated graphics as good as the DG2 Alchemist discrete cards, I am stoked for future CPUs from Intel! Might be able to get PS4 quality graphics on a laptop which would be impressive!
                    You can do that right now pal.....

Comment

Working...
                    X