Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Driver Performance With Intel Icelake Iris Plus Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't expect the extreme performance wins on the last (for me work related important) cases for linux. I also didn't expect such a defeat for xonotic, but a nice win for X-Plane 11, which is as far as I know a pretty demanding game.
    But only one vulkan renderer tested.
    Anyway, keep up the work, that xonotic is weird.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      This reminds me the marketing campaign of 1 TeraFLOP, meanwhile AMD's APU (don't know if it is the desktop part, probably bridgman could answer) could reach up to 1.8 TeraFLOP.

So much noise and marketing just to get near AMD, that's explain why Renoir still Vega based...
      This test would be more interesting with an AMD chip to compare against. As for flops I don’t think games on Linux are a useful comparison as most of those games are rapid ports. That is the drivers contribution to the performance numbers cannot be measured effectively or compared to other systems.

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
        What does profile acually do? Disable some features eg filtring? How can gain 30% more fps...?
        The GPU and CPU share a die and memory, so capping the power dissipation on one or the other can dramatically improve the overall experience.

Comment

So, I was really interesting in this laptop, especially when you said it had a 1920x1200 display.
          However, in digging through Dell's websites, I can't seem to find that as an option. Is it really a 1920x1200 display?

Also not with this CPU, I'm seeing the i7-10710U, with three display options.

The displays I see are
          13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Non-Touch Display
          13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Touch Display
          13.3" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Touch Display

I know Dell's website is often tricky, with different options depending on how you select the laptop. Anyone else be able to find this setup? The on that Michael is testing?

Ok, I guess I found it now, its in the 2in1 groups. Not something I guess I would find as useful(along with the touch screen)
          Last edited by matobinder; 15 October 2019, 10:35 PM. Reason: Ok I found it

Comment

Originally posted by matobinder View Post
            So, I was really interesting in this laptop, especially when you said it had a 1920x1200 display.
            However, in digging through Dell's websites, I can't seem to find that as an option. Is it really a 1920x1200 display?
            Yes, its right. They changed the ratio from 16:9 to 16:10. It's actually a demanded feature.

The non 2-in-1 XPS 13 7390 uses the 16:9 ratio, which is why its 1920x1080.

This reminds me the marketing campaign of 1 TeraFLOP, meanwhile AMD's APU (don't know if it is the desktop part, probably bridgman could answer) could reach up to 1.8 TeraFLOP.
            It is the desktop part. While the 3700U has a max iGPU clock of 1.4GHz, I doubt that's reached in practice with games at 15W. In the end, they are in the same class.

Comment

Ya Linux perf is bad
              Linux lacks AAA native applications
              Just a bunch of bad ports

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post

Tests confirm: Windows is for gaming; Linux is for programming.
                Maybe with Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post

Tests confirm: Windows is [begrudgingly] for gaming; Linux is for programming.
                  FTFY

I myself am begrudgingly a Windows gamer. I was going to go with GNU/Linux for my new gaming PC, but at the last minute bought a cheap Windows 10 license due to:
                  • A small number of my games are Windows only (e.g. PUBG)
                  • It's a bit less hassle getting games installed and working well.
                  • This PC is just for entertainment, so the drawbacks of Windows 10 (related to privacy, freedom, security) aren't such a big deal on a personal level.
                  I really do want to switch to GNU/Linux for gaming though.

"Year of the Linux desktop" already happened for me. It's the perfect desktop OS for me. Windows 7/10 doesn't even come close.

"Year of the gaming PC" is what I feel like GNU/Linux is on the verge of, but still isn't quite there. I think Valve, AMD & Intel are making it more likely every day.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    Well, I remember the days when browsers all ran faster on Windows. That was only 2 years ago.
                    if by "ran faster" we mean "using hardware acceleration" and "hardware acceleration support in the OS does not suck ass", Windows is still leading here.

Chromium with acceleration enabled by patch in OpenSUSE still shows red garbage if looking a youtube video on a modern AMD system that would need this the most, like for example APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Maybe with Intel.
                      Intel (graphics) is NOT for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                      X