Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Driver Performance With Intel Icelake Iris Plus Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Driver Performance With Intel Icelake Iris Plus Graphics

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Driver Performance With Intel Icelake Iris Plus Graphics

With picking up the Dell XPS 7390 with Intel Core i7-1065G7 for being able to deliver timely benchmarks from Intel's long-awaited 10nm+ Icelake generation, one of the first areas we have been testing is the Iris Plus "Gen 11" graphics performance. In this article are our initial Windows 10 vs. Linux graphics performance numbers for Ice Lake.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oof, so bad.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 06 November 2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I wonder what profiling in Unigine and Source would show. CPU or GPU bottleneck? Thanks for testing!

Comment

Ouch, on both sides. I wonder if the tot driver teams can swap notes? How is the Windows driver pulling ahead so far in games, and why is Linux absolutely stomping it in workstation loads?
        There was talk of a new compiler for intel, could that provide much of a boost?

Comment

This reminds me the marketing campaign of 1 TeraFLOP, meanwhile AMD's APU (don't know if it is the desktop part, probably bridgman could answer) could reach up to 1.8 TeraFLOP.

So much noise and marketing just to get near AMD, that's explain why Renoir still Vega based...

Comment

Well, I remember the days when browsers all ran faster on Windows. That was only 2 years ago. Good to see that Iris gives a ~10% boost in perf, but seems like another 20% gain isn't unreasonable.
            I suspect that some of the perf gain is by having game profiles and "cheats" to make games run faster. (e.g. render some things with lower than requested accuracy, but visual difference is small)

Comment

Wow, that's terrible. It looks as if the Linux driver is not properly setting the GPU clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                Ouch, on both sides. I wonder if the tot driver teams can swap notes? How is the Windows driver pulling ahead so far in games, and why is Linux absolutely stomping it in workstation loads?
                There was talk of a new compiler for intel, could that provide much of a boost?
                I'm sure the Windows game performance is better because of application profiles. I think the Linux driver is more refined overall, which is why it otherwise wins in other tests that the Windows drivers don't have a profile for. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm sure the Windows game performance is better because of application profiles. I think the Linux driver is more refined overall, which is why it otherwise wins in other tests that the Windows drivers don't have a profile for. I could be wrong though.
                  Tests confirm: Windows is for gaming; Linux is for programming.

Comment

What does profile acually do? Disable some features eg filtring? How can gain 30% more fps...?

Comment

Working...
                    X