Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Driver Performance With Intel Icelake Iris Plus Graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Intel (graphics) is NOT for gaming.
    I know. In non gaming tests Linux was much faster which is optimistic.

Comment

Most graphs on the first two pages are completely useless because the games in question will never offer native (to windows) performance because of how they were done. Why bother testing them? It just skews the real world performance we're comparing to see.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post

Tests confirm: Windows is for gaming; Linux is for programming.
        https://youtu.be/m5tFjl89Xtk

Test only confirms one thing ; Intel driver is not suitable for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

FTFY

I myself am begrudgingly a Windows gamer. I was going to go with GNU/Linux for my new gaming PC, but at the last minute bought a cheap Windows 10 license due to:
          • A small number of my games are Windows only (e.g. PUBG)
          • It's a bit less hassle getting games installed and working well.
          • This PC is just for entertainment, so the drawbacks of Windows 10 (related to privacy, freedom, security) aren't such a big deal on a personal level.
          I really do want to switch to GNU/Linux for gaming though.

"Year of the Linux desktop" already happened for me. It's the perfect desktop OS for me. Windows 7/10 doesn't even come close.

"Year of the gaming PC" is what I feel like GNU/Linux is on the verge of, but still isn't quite there. I think Valve, AMD & Intel are making it more likely every day.
          :B I don't QUITE share your optimism; I feel like we'll be on Fuschia or some weird, new meta in 15 years (where games and mostly everything else is hopefully just done in browser (not streamed lol; just code run in browser) -- wasm.continuation-labs.com/d3demo/ -- which finally solves the platform coordination problem) rather than Linux finally triumphing over everything else.

But yep, begrudgingly. I do 99% of my gaming on Linux (due to the types of games I like luckily having availability or working with Proton/Wine), but I can't feel like I don't need to have W10 on a spare drive; what'll I do when Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5 or whatever comes out?! D:
          Last edited by josh_walrath; 10-16-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
            Most graphs on the first two pages are completely useless because the games in question will never offer native (to windows) performance because of how they were done. Why bother testing them? It just skews the real world performance we're comparing to see.
            I doubt Dota + OpenGL was done bad, because AFAIK Valve was doing it. I'd rather believe in Windows driver having game profiles as other people mentioned.

Anyway, it's all just speculation.

Comment

Windows driver 25.20.100.7102 is old, try using 26.20.100.7323: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...Windows-10-DCH

Comment

Oof...

Comment

Working...
                X