No announcement yet.

OpenBLAS Deciding Whether To Drop Support For Russia's Elbrus CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is ridiculous. If we have Loongarch support in upstream projects, Loongarch solely being the product of a company directly controlled by CCP, PRC being the West's most dangerous adversary... then why would Russia be out?
    Do we remove Saudi code from our repositories because the Saudi state has been genociding people in Yemen for a decade? Apparently not.

If there is a valid legal or project (like what piotrj3 suggested) reason why this has to happen, then so be it, but this seems more like pandering.
    Last edited by microcode; 03 March 2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

If they are worried about 1 evil empire, I hope they are also stop use of github and host source code instead in codeberg(EU) to protect their code from the evil m$ empire.

Comment

Don't forget that Russia can develop its own technologies, including military stuff, using Elbrus. I don't think that international community and companies should help them with this in any way. Loongarch should be supported as loong (pun intended) as China doesn't invade Taiwan or other countries as well.
        Open source is what Russia can use to kick our asses in the future.

Please also remember that sanctions will be probably lifted as soon as Putin resigns.

Don't compare Russia to Microsoft. M$ doesn't kill anybody. And they are not as evil as "open source friendly" Facebook and Google anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          This is ridiculous. If we have Loongarch support in upstream projects, Loongarch solely being the product of a company directly controlled by CCP, PRC being the West's most dangerous adversary... then why would Russia be out?
          Do we remove Saudi code from our repositories because the Saudi state has been genociding people in Yemen for a decade? Apparently not.

If there is a valid legal or project (like what piotrj3 suggested) reason why this has to happen, then so be it, but this seems more like pandering.
          Russia is literally invading a neighboring state, which is worse than anything China has done recently. Saudi Arabia is more of a fair comparison, but equally I can't remember seeing a Saudi open source contribution whereas Russians are fairly common, so maybe it just hasn't come up. Also, this specifically relates to support for a processor that probably isn't used outside of Russian defense contracts that specify local components, because there's literally no other reason to use it. I don't think anyone will look to remove contributions from Russian citizens to linux or KDE or whatever.

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
          If they are worried about 1 evil empire, I hope they are also stop use of github and host source code instead in codeberg(EU) to protect their code from the evil m$ empire.
          Comparing microsoft's dodgy business practices and indiscriminate shelling of a city is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that's because U.S. law prohibits "exporting" "weapons technology" like SSL/TLS to countries on a blacklist of "terrorist-supporting" nations, which those countries are on. Any American company or U.S. citizen is bound by that.
            Yeah but Russia is not yet on that list.

Comment

It's beyond rtarded and dobule standard of cosmic proportions.

Comment

Ostracizem is quite powerful sometimes and I believe it comes down to a personal choice you have to make.. If you don't agree with decisions made by (insert whatever popular choices seem to be things like China, M$, Russia, Amazon, the TSA/NSA/DHS etc) You have the freedom to say no when doing business with them. It is a maner that free people use to express their personal views peacefully.

Due to that I'm not going to say this is wrong or right for them to do it.. it's a personal choice they have to make and it's one I can respect if not agree with.

We must always remember tho as well to always separate the people of a nation from their governments. Group think and stereotypes are never a good thing.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 03 March 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I just hope it doesn't start a trend. Some big things start for a big reason that justifies them. Then it becomes commonplace and repeated for trivial ones

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
                    Next time, when US comes to liberate next country like Afghanistan, will the AMD an Intel be dropped? Just asking.
                    AMD and Intel CPUs have legitimate non-military uses. Elbrus doesn't. it's a terrible VLIW architecture that no one would ever use unless they're required to, and only Russian military is likely to be required to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

There are already some restrictions going on. For example, people in Cuba, Syria, North Korea, Iran should not use fedora according to their Legal/Export page in fedoraproject.org
                      Why though? Are they part of some list that forces companies to not engage in business with them? Or is it just arbitrary selection on whims?

Comment

Working...
                      X