Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loongson 3A5000 Benchmarks For These New Chinese CPUs Built On The LoongArch ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
    I guess your ideology takes the stand that, as long as an empire win all the wars and succeed to rule the world, "invasions" never occur?
    My ideology is that pott-kettle relationship holds.
    Whatever rules of the games you declare, you don't get to use marketing to tweak them for your needs of the moment.

It's fun to attend such lectures where lecturers are bending backwards to ignore so many glaring examples of hypocracy right in front of their nose.
    Like Ferenginar, for example. How old is Israel really ?

Or all those illegal bombardments and similar "actions", some of them merely days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

What the actual F? So in the recent RISC-V thread, you complain that RISC-V has no future and is doomed to fail and now you're advocating for a company to adopt RISC-V?
      Yes!
      I think it is foolish to design a new ISA like Loongson did instead of just using an established, modern ISA that already exists, such as RISC-V.
      RISC-V is a modern ISA and likely very good. It would be a great choice for Loongson, much better than creating their own ISA and have to create compilers, add support to the Linux kernel, and everything. RISC-V is already bootstrapped, it already got a environment and is supported.

And RISC-V can be a success in microcontrollers as a cheap alternative to ARM where companies want to use it for the reason of cutting license costs, but RISC-V is won't be able to compete with x86 or ARM because companies are only interested in RISC-V as a means to cut costs, they're not interested in bringing RISC-V as the centerpiece of consumer devices.

RISC-V will be used as a power management circuit in some device, or will be used as a trusted security chip in some bigger device, or will be used some storage controller inside a disk or something like this. Nobody is going to use RISC-V as the CPU in a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone. Nobody is going to make a RISC-V based SoC on 5 nm with Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, Gigabit Ethernet, NFC, USB 3.2 and 5G modem and AI accelerator.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        ... and stop trolling.
        Thats hilarious coming from someone with your history

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          It would be a great choice for Loongson, much better than creating their own ISA ...
          No. Besides being new is RISC-V out of China's control. Why would a sovereign body want to leave the control with a random group of directors?

Take yourself as an example and ask yourself how happy you are with China's decision. Obviously not at all, but you have your own idea on what China should and should not do, but it is out of your control. So you should at least understand what it means when something is out of your control.

Nobody is going to use RISC-V as the CPU in a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone.
          On October 29th 2020 SiFive announced the first-ever RISC-V Linux development platform with a PC form factor, the HiFive Unmatched.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comput....552002.0.html

I am, like Vistaus, puzzled at how you arrive at your conclusions. On one hand do you want China to use RISC-V, saying it was a great choice, but then you cannot even imagine RISC-V being used for more than micro controllers.
          Last edited by sdack; 25 July 2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            Thats hilarious ...
            Thank you. I myself thought it was a good reply to your "Yes and?" troll.

Comment

Loongson... couldn't you hire at least 1 american to help you go over the brand name to cut down on the jokes and so that people would take your product serious.
              I guess strongARM has a negative big brother ring.
              I would have went with TurboDragon.

Comment

No. Besides being new is RISC-V out of China's control. Why would a sovereign body want to leave the control with a random group of directors?

Take yourself as an example and ask yourself how happy you are with China's decision. Obviously not at all, but you have your own idea on what China should and should not do, but it is out of your control. So you should at least understand what it means when something is out of your control.

On October 29th 2020 SiFive announced the first-ever RISC-V Linux development platform with a PC form factor, the HiFive Unmatched.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comput....552002.0.html

I am, like Vistaus, puzzled at how you arrive at your conclusions. On one hand do you want China to use RISC-V, saying it was a great choice, but then you cannot even imagine RISC-V being used for more than micro controllers.
                How is RISC-V not in China's control?
                With x86 and ARM they need a license and the U.S. government can pressure companies to license something to some foreign company. RISC-V is free, open and royalty-free, it doesn't need any license, so China is free to implement RISC-V if they want, and nobody can say anything about it or do anything about it.
                In a trade war or if China would get sanctioned, China cannot be refused RISC-V because.
                China want to create some extension to the architecture? They can do that.

Yeah, personally I would love to see RISC-V on desktops, laptops, tablets and phones. That would be amazing!
                I just don't think it will happen, because companies have no interest in that, they're primary objective with RISC-V is reduce costs by avoid licensing fees.

Now Si-Five might have their Unleashed board, which is pretty impressive and cool thing they have accomplished, but it cannot compete. The thing is expensive, and weak in performance. It is a desktop board that has the performance of a several year old ARM SoC for phones.
                Against a x86 desktop board it is expensive and low performance.
                Against a ARM mobile SoC it is expensive, low performance and lacks GPU, audio, 5G, DSP, ISP, AI, eMMC, UFS.

I really would love to RISC-V compete seriously with ARM and Intel x86, but ultimate I think it wont, I think it will just be used by companies to cut costs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  How is RISC-V not in China's control?
                  It is in control of RISC-V International, a Swiss organisation.

Comment

It is in control of RISC-V International, a Swiss organisation.
                    And this is done deliberately since Swiss is neutral (and has a history to back it up). Thats the whole reason why its set up in Switzerland rather than the US or an EU country, nice job in missing the whole point.

Honestly I have no idea what you are going on about now, originally you were incorrectly whining about licensing issues and now you are going on about RISC-5 organization (not the ISA itself!) is centered in Swiss as a non political non profit?

I mean duh, RISC-5 is not in China (which is actually a good thing btw, even for Chinese chip manufactures) but I have no idea why you are bringing up "control" or what you mean by that. Of course LooongArch can do w/e the fuk they want in regards to writing their own ISA, but avoiding licensing issues is not one of those reasons why they should do that because there is no licensing issues with RISC-5 (thats why its so popular in China).
                    Last edited by mdedetrich; 25 July 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

China is heavily investing in RISC-V aswell as in LoongSon/Longarch..
                      In the microcontroller market RISC-V is starting to pick up, look at the Hi3861V100 for example which is a chip that ships today and is used in products already.
                      Furthermore they even have High Performance RISC-V cores under development, one such example is XiangShan : https://github.com/OpenXiangShan/XiangShan which at least in simulations will perform in the ARM-Cortex A76 area.

China is furthermore investing in chip production, there was a big consortium formed ~3 month ago to push in-country chip manufacturing and improve technology.

Yes they copy a lot / just rebrand open source projects at least on the software side, but the iteration cycles of development are just that much faster than in US or Europe, as they are not hindered by all the big company bureaucracy..

Look at HiSilicons (Huaweis) RF Chips for 5G or 802.11ax (WiFi 6). They are better than the Qualcom or Broadcom ones and they are way cheaper.
                      That´s probably one reason why US and Europe banned them from being used in mobile networks / banned huawei from using Google Play Services and so on.
                      In the end this is protectionism, which will work in the short-term but long term this won´t work out for USA / EU, as the rest of the world will have access to better technology for cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X