Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon PRO W7500/W7600 Deliver Great Open-Source Linux Performance At Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    Do I need a special proprietary driver (and how it does with rolling release distros?) or it will work fine with mainstream kernel and a distro?
    thanks
    Did you read the article?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Did you read the article?
      oh sorry, i really have read the article and later came back for the question and hit this article's forum section without realizing and paying enough attention.
      That's great! I'll certainly be getting w7600!!!

Comment

Its great that AMD also offers lower end Radeon PRO cards. I really hope that they will offer full ROCm support in the near future.
        For our work, getting a high end Radeon PRO GPU is both way to expensive and overkill for the performance. However, only developing on HPC systems isn't really feasible either.

Comment

I think people are missing the point regarding proprietary drivers vs open source drivers. It's not about performance, it's about reliability and stability.

As an example, if i was building a system for constant extended 3d renders, or fluid dynamics simulations, or anything along those lines, I would build a system with a Xeon, ECC ram, a Quadro, also with ECC ram, and most likely a Supermicro motherboard. This system would not be the fastest but it would be incredibly stable and reliable.\

The Radeon PRO W7500 retails for $429 while the RX 7600 costs $269 and the latter's specs are significantly better:

So that leaves us with what is the point of PRO series of cards? Is it just a way for AMD to shaft it's customers by charging higher prices? No. This hardware is cherry picked, some may refer to it as "binning", to ensure stability and reliability over hours of extended use, rather than peak performance in a benchmark that lasts a few minutes.

Like the Quadros, these cards are meant to keep going and going and going and for that you need to use the proprietary driver.

I would not trust the open source driver for anything other than a few benchmarks, if I were working on a project that needed to be done right the first time, I would choose the proprietary driver.
          Last edited by sophisticles; 04 August 2023, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I'm afraid that the article did not take correct official Linux driver prepared for W7500/W7600 launch, which will have another significant performance uplift if compared to data based on "MESA-GL" driver posted for Viewperf2020. (AMD just posted official Linux W7500/W7600 driver(AMD proprietary driver including Pro-OpenGL) by Aug10.th, and the article posted on Aug.3th.)

Official Linux W7500/7600 driver see https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...-pro-lin-23-q3.
            Here's competitive data including some self-tested data FYI. Seems that AMD Linux Pro OpenGL driver is further boosting W7600 performance.

​​
            ProVsMesa.jpg
            Last edited by jsnjkl; 14 August 2023, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
              Do I need a special proprietary driver (and how it does with rolling release distros?) or it will work fine with mainstream kernel and a distro?
              thanks
              FYI. Here's AMD proprietary driver found in AMD official site prepared for W7500/W7600: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...-pro-lin-23-q3​. A support list of release distros can be found in Release Note.

I guess that if we'd like to squeeze both performance and quality from an AMD W7xxx video card on Linux, we can have a try to use <amdgpu-install -y --usecase=workstation> to right config AMD proprietary driver, this is from reading <Installing the Workstation Use Case> section in https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.i...nstalling.html.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Then no: they are single slot but full profile (ie: you won't be able to put in an 2U rack chassis, for example).

Thank you, that's what I was wondering indeed. I'm currently using an old WX2100 in my server, which works well enough for transcoding.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Seeing as they have 4x full-size DP ports, I think that would be your answer.
                True, I should have used that clue

Comment

Sometime ago there was this article about RDNA3 and SR-IOV... Is this finally the hardware for that code?
                  ​​​​

Comment

I don't *think* we enable SR-IOV on the workstation cards, just on specific datacenter cards used for cloud gaming and visualization. That said, I don't see those cards in our product menus on amd.com so not 100% sure.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      I don't *think* we enable SR-IOV on the workstation cards, just on specific datacenter cards used for cloud gaming and visualization. That said, I don't see those cards in our product menus on amd.com so not 100% sure.
                      Thanks for the reply.
                      I understand the need to segment the market, but for enthusiast/workstation usage even having it locked to 1 or 2 VFs would be way way better than zero (e.g. on a Linux machine, passthrough a VF to one Windows machine, or run one development/testing VM with access to real hardware), and I assume that your target customers for cloud gaming/virtualization need much more than that.
                      For me (and probably others) would be a solid reason to switch from consumer-level GPUs to workstation-level GPUs of this price range, even if the performance-per-$ decreases.

Comment

Working...
                      X