Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon PRO W7500/W7600 Deliver Great Open-Source Linux Performance At Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon PRO W7500/W7600 Deliver Great Open-Source Linux Performance At Launch

Phoronix: AMD Radeon PRO W7500/W7600 Deliver Great Open-Source Linux Performance At Launch

The just-announced AMD Radeon PRO W7500 and W7600 are working quite well under a fully open-source and upstream graphics driver stack. AMD is making available a new Radeon Software for Linux packaged driver release for those on enterprise Linux distributions, but those living more on the leading-edge and preferring the open-source upstream Linux/Mesa driver experience, I've been testing these new RDNA3 professional offerings and the support is already in place and working out rather well. In this article are some initial tests of the Radeon PRO W7500 and W7600 as well as showing how the performance of the new packaged driver compares to that of using all open-source and upstream GPU driver components.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm having trouble telling from the pictures... Are these low profile cards?

As always, thanks for the detailed benchmarks! Looking forward to the OpenCL results...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

As always, thanks for the detailed benchmarks! Looking forward to the OpenCL results...
      Yes they are single slot.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes they are single slot.
        Then no: they are single slot but full profile (ie: you won't be able to put in an 2U rack chassis, for example).

Suggestion for the future benchmarks: could be interesting to add benchmarks on how cards (discrete, but also integrated) perform with hardware video encoding and decoding with various codecs? I was digging into this recently and there are interesting numbers to show off

Comment

While it's nice that these cards run out of the box so well, the performance numbers are a bit underwhelming, at least looking at vkpeak results.
          On paper, W7600 is almost 6800XT class card, and yet it only manages to score 7TFlops FP32 and around 13TFlops when using half precision.
          Not to mention RX580-like fp64 performance...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            Seeing as they have 4x full-size DP ports, I think that would be your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
              While it's nice that these cards run out of the box so well, the performance numbers are a bit underwhelming, at least looking at vkpeak results.
              On paper, W7600 is almost 6800XT class card, and yet it only manages to score 7TFlops FP32 and around 13TFlops when using half precision.
              Not to mention RX580-like fp64 performance...
              It is an 130 watt single slot card which makes it hard to rival 300w 6800xt

Comment

I'm curious if, in press kit, there is any clause preventing a comparison between these two and the consumer grade RX 6500 and 6600.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post

It is an 130 watt single slot card which makes it hard to rival 300w 6800xt
                  True, but if AMD claims it can do 20TFLOPS but manages to achieve 7, then something is wrong. Either drivers are not mature enough or AMD claims are overhyped.
                  This is supposedly peak performance, so we're probably not going to get more than 7TFlops in any real world scenario.

My 6800XT does 20TFlops FP32 and 1,25 TFlops FP64 - exactly in line with chip specifications. I presume the same is true for other RDNA2 chips as well. FP16 is off though - 32TFlops, but anyway it's more than 13 and W7600 has 40Tflops FP16 advertised.

And FP64... it has been halved compared to previous generations but it just doesn't seem right that $600 PRO card in 2023 has about the same performance as $229 150W TDP consumer card from 2016 (RX480) - and it was nothing to write home about even back then.
                  Last edited by sobrus; 03 August 2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Do I need a special proprietary driver (and how it does with rolling release distros?) or it will work fine with mainstream kernel and a distro?
                    thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X