X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catpig
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i've bought 8gb rx 580 in 2017 for $230. i'd expect to get better performance per dollar 5 years later
    Then you'll have to relocate to an alternative reality where there is no "crypto" ponzi scheme nor Covid. But unfortunately that reality doesn't exist, so the choices are:
    - a used card an even more obscene prices. I bought a used RX470/4GB for just over 100€ in early 2020 or 2021 and last I checked I could sell that card at a profit - even if it is broken!
    - a new RX5000 series which have completely deranged prices
    - an RX6600 at approximately double the price of the 6500XT

So for those of who us who want a GPU now - not when the market normalises, now - and are unwilling to spend crazy sums on a toy, this is sadly the card to go for. Only real alternative is the NV 1650 which costs about the same (as of 7Feb, geizhals prices). But that only has nvidia's proprietary blob driver...

Edit: And the NV1650 is slower than the 6500XT. Unfortunately NV is currently, clearly, not interested in making entry level cards. Not too much of a surprise, nvidia is a huge corporation, they're interested in exactly one thing. And "making gamers happy" is not it
    Last edited by catpig; 13 February 2022, 08:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• catpig
    replied
    i have 1080p 240hz monitor
    Then you're not in the target group for this card.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post
    If you only care about 1080p, you probably won't need a GPU soon.
    i have 1080p 240hz monitor

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by gentoofu View Post
    Ah, true... My brain has been failing me lately.
    Well, you still have a point. Even if we take the list price of the 5800X and multiply that by 8, we find AMD is selling EPYC for about twice that. So, definitely more margin.

Now, that's just the list price. I'm sure big OEMs and hyperscalers pay much less. However, when AMD is selling every one they can make, probably before the chips are even fabbed, that should give them more leverage over pricing.

Leave a comment:

• gentoofu
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Huh? At that price, the EPYC will probably have 8 chiplets and its I/O die is much bigger. So, their costs go up nearly 8x compared with that 5800X you seem to cite.
    Ah, true... My brain has been failing me lately.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    If we conservatively priced an Epyc processor at $7000 per unit while a Ryzen chip at $450, AMD is making about 15x profit per Epyc sale.
    Huh? At that price, the EPYC will probably have 8 chiplets and its I/O die is much bigger. So, their costs go up nearly 8x compared with that 5800X you seem to cite.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

If we conservatively priced an Epyc processor at $7000 per unit while a Ryzen chip at $450, AMD is making about 15x profit per Epyc sale. Imagine what it would do to the financials if the Enterprise gained more customers within a quarter. That's what happened. 75% growth in the segment.

GPUs, on the other hand, are saddled with other materials: PCB, VRAM, capacitors, resistors, VRM, heatsink, fan, power connector, outputs, etc. So they receive less margin from these parts trying to fit it all in an MSRP while a CPU does not have such baggage. These other components are also in shortage, which is causing to drive the price increase along with shipping price hikes. There's no way they could drive up the financials like the server processors could unless they dramatically increased GPU volume, which doesn't match the reality we are seeing.
    Just in terms of the GPU ASPs, it actually decreased from Q3 => Q4 as well, which didn't seem to cause a blip in their profits. Which is just another suggestion that GPU ASP isn't the primary driver for the company as a whole, even if I'm sure it's been nice for their GPU profits.

Leave a comment:

• gentoofu
    replied
    Originally posted by Anux View Post
    But data center revenue should also be lower if the costs of dies had increased 3 times. I'm no financial guru, so all comes with a maybe ...
    If we conservatively priced an Epyc processor at $7000 per unit while a Ryzen chip at $450, AMD is making about 15x profit per Epyc sale. Imagine what it would do to the financials if the Enterprise gained more customers within a quarter. That's what happened. 75% growth in the segment.

GPUs, on the other hand, are saddled with other materials: PCB, VRAM, capacitors, resistors, VRM, heatsink, fan, power connector, outputs, etc. So they receive less margin from these parts trying to fit it all in an MSRP while a CPU does not have such baggage. These other components are also in shortage, which is causing to drive the price increase along with shipping price hikes. There's no way they could drive up the financials like the server processors could unless they dramatically increased GPU volume, which doesn't match the reality we are seeing.
    Last edited by gentoofu; 03 February 2022, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    i've bought 8gb rx 580 in 2017 for $230. i'd expect to get better performance per dollar 5 years later
    You absolutely would. 5 years ago, before the pandemic, supply chain issues and chip shortages, inflation, 6x shipping costs, and increased demand (cryptomining and simply more gamers). Now we're at a point where we celebrate when the product has a real MSRP that isn't a lie (RTX 3050 and 3060) and it can actually be bought at that price if you refresh online stores often enough. I won't blame scalpers since those have been around for a while, but maybe the scalpbots are more sophisticated today and responsible for me having to solve a captcha to look at Walmart.com.

I'm interested in the APUs. We know what a Rembrandt desktop APU (12 CUs aka Radeon 680M) would look like, with performance in the ballpark of a GTX 1050 Ti. It's only going up from there with Phoenix and Strix Point. If you only care about 1080p, you probably won't need a GPU soon.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I'm not even sure why AMD bothered with this when it can't even beat the 5500 XT. Performancewise, I'm sure it beats it in pricing.
    probably because 5500 xt can't be found at msrp

Leave a comment:

Working...
X