Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Frett
    replied
    With all these chip shortages, this is a huge waste of resources by AMD.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    What on Earth were AMD thinking ?

I pity anyone who buys this card.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    ...crazy times

2018 Crazy Prices / Great Performance
    2020+ Crazy Prices / Crappy Performance ...

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Bans are hard to enforce, and really only deal with large-scale mining operations. A better option is to provide a progressive rate scale for electricity that makes it very expensive to use more than the typical household.
    Progressive energy cost would kill your industry.
    Bans are not hard to enforce, big marijuana plants are already beeing discoverd through energy monitoring. No one cares if someon has 10 cards in his home rig, but the operations getting them in 10000 pieces and more are what keeps the prices up.

Originally posted by coder View Post
    These are made on TSMC's 6 nm process node, and another point of consideration is that they use the latest, fastest GDDR6 speed.

Plus, even if AMD made more RX 550 dies, the wafers would be more expensive due to the massive supply/demand imbalance. You have to accept that AMD's costs have gone up, not just their margins.
    So your saying 6nm and supply problems have trippled the prices for AMD? Anything you know that you can link here to support this claim? I guess 30% or even 50% cost increase sound much more beliveable.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by gentoofu View Post

What 100mm chip are you speaking of?
    RX 6500 XT is based on the Navi 24 die, which is a miniscule 107mm2 on TSMC 6nm.

Leave a comment:

• Keats
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

There are more demanding games and settings available but then it's like unplayable 20 FPS comparison for the low-end cards.
    That sort of information is exactly what I want to see from reviews. What the card CAN'T do is just as important as what it can.

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    Why 4GiB? Why!? With 8GiB this would have had some worth.
    It's 4GB to make it useless for miners.

Leave a comment:

• gentoofu
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

This is a 100mm chip, sir and normally it's the most expensive part along with GDDR RAM. It shouldn't cost AMD more than $35 at most. This card MSRP is just insane and if I were to buy a new gaming rig now I'd just avoid buying any GPUs. They are all ridiculously overpriced.
    What 100mm chip are you speaking of?
    Last edited by gentoofu; 01 February 2022, 01:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kokoko3k
    replied
    Originally posted by Solid State Brain View Post

With Proton especially one needs to pay attention not to approach the GPU memory limit, otherwise compared to native gaming on Windows performance can be severely affected, since apparently video memory management is not as effective. This will likely be even more noticeable with the 6500XT due to its limited PCIe bandwidth.

Occupied GPU memory also includes that from background GUI applications, so it often helps to close them down to keep gaming performance at acceptable levels. Reviews typically do not test this (i.e. they test games in a reasonably minimal environment), while in real-world usage people generally leave at least some applications running in the background.
    From my experience, what you describe is true for nvidia drivers.
    Amd performs MUCH better in this regard.

Back in the day i used nvidia, i also ran it via prime render offload, to avoid filling gpu ram for desktop apps.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    That YT channel crap cannon always pretends to know stuff he can't know (e.g. prices in contracts between companies).
    It's obviously guessing, but it's not that impossible to figure out the prices of things. Shipping prices from China to the US aren't private, for example. And that stuff is bought on the open market, gpu companies don't have private ships they run. I have no doubt those numbers are all of by 25%, but if some are high and some low it probably averages out, and the overall trends should be reasonable if both old and new cards are estimated the same way. Feel free to argue any individual number is wrong, if you believe so.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    That YT channel crap cannon always pretends to know stuff he can't know (e.g. prices in contracts between companies). Really just another lost narcissist putting his face on cam on the internet. Probably safe to just assume the opposite to be true for everything he says.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X