X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post
    In the gap, maybe there can be an RX 6500 XT with 8 GB. That could greatly mitigate the performance hit of using PCIe 3.0 x4, and make it a little better at PCIe 4.0 x4.

Maybe a modder will make one just for fun.
    If it would be possible to mod up to 8 GB, then I'll bet a bunch of miners will do exactly that. So, I'm guessing AMD probably exposed only 32-bit addressing from the chip itself.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    With all these chip shortages, this is a huge waste of resources by AMD.
    Okay, then what should AMD be doing? What would you do, in their shoes?

The way I see it, if you want to tackle the GPU shortage, the place to start is at the bottom. They can crank these out in large volumes, these aren't very appealing to miners, they provide a worthwhile upgrade from iGPUs, and once enough reach the market, they can even overwhelm the scalpers. Finally, the buyers of these GPUs will reduce pressure on the next few tiers up the stack, thereby producing a slight improvement in supply or prices of those GPUs.

Brilliant move, in other words. Probably the main thing I think AMD can really be faulted for is calling it the RX 6500XT, instead of the RX 6400XT. If they'd just done that, I think the only legit complaint would probably be the PCIe x4 and lack of AV1 decode acceleration, the latter especially given that it's a laptop-oriented part.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by gentoofu View Post
    Considering the price increase on BOM, shipping, and not to mention the 25% hit tariffs for cards imported from China, it's silly to compare to pre-shortage/pre-pandemic prices without mentioning those factors out.
    Just to put something other than pure speculation in the mix: https://ir.amd.com/news-events/press...2021-financial they have their all time financial high due to "GPU ASP increased year-over-year primarily driven by Radeon product sales" (also Ryzen and Epic). And thats while they lost 3% markeshare in GPU sales.

Leave a comment:

• flower
    replied
    I actually like this card for my vm server. It doesn't use much lanes and would be ok to throw media content at my 4k tv.

But i would prefer something passively cooled.
    And it's a bit expensive tbh.

I don't know good alternatives though (4k 60Hz, passive cooled, 4 pcie lanes)

Leave a comment:

• gentoofu
    replied

RX 6500 XT is based on the Navi 24 die, which is a miniscule 107mm2 on TSMC 6nm.
    Thanks. I was definitely not on the same level, lol.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    I'm an all AMD builder, but unfortunately they really missed the mark on this GPU.

It's already selling for $300+, and is so horrifically underpowered and over priced that only a few very, very, desperate people are buying them.

I understand the goal of preventing bots from scraping them up, but AMD needs to create a solution that also provides a GPU worth buying. Not one so hideous that almost no one wants it, for anything.

Yes, it will be difficult, and I don't know what the solution is. But I'm not part of a multi-million dollar team of GPU experts whose job it is to think about and solve these issues 24/7.
    If the RX 6500 XT dropped down to its $199 MSRP, then it would be better. Then get the RX 6600 to its $329 MSRP. That can only happen later in the year.

In the gap, maybe there can be an RX 6500 XT with 8 GB. That could greatly mitigate the performance hit of using PCIe 3.0 x4, and make it a little better at PCIe 4.0 x4.

Maybe a modder will make one just for fun.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    I'm an all AMD builder, but unfortunately they really missed the mark on this GPU.

It's already selling for $300+, and is so horrifically underpowered and over priced that only a few very, very, desperate people are buying them.

I understand the goal of preventing bots from scraping them up, but AMD needs to create a solution that also provides a GPU worth buying. Not one so hideous that almost no one wants it, for anything.

Yes, it will be difficult, and I don't know what the solution is. But I'm not part of a multi-million dollar team of GPU experts whose job it is to think about and solve these issues 24/7.

Leave a comment:

• DanaG
    replied
    There's only one use case I can think of for this GPU: assuming it has working PCIe reset, you could use it in a KVM VM via VFIO passthrough.

But in this use case the single-slot Radeon Pro W6400 would be better, since most of the server boards I have leave no space between the x16 slot and the other slots.

Also, why doesn't the GPU have any notches to allow it to fit an x8 or x4 slot? It only actually uses x4 bandwidth, anyway!

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

They are relatively cheap to make, and 2-3 times as many of them can be made on a wafer than Navi 23/22. They will probably all sell out eventually, especially at the MSRP. Most of them will end up in the hands of gamers. It has bad but not intolerable performance. Where's the waste?
    already mostly sold out where I am, even scalpers are getting their money worth from it sadly

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    With all these chip shortages, this is a huge waste of resources by AMD.
    They are relatively cheap to make, and 2-3 times as many of them can be made on a wafer than Navi 23/22. They will probably all sell out eventually, especially at the MSRP. Most of them will end up in the hands of gamers. It has bad but not intolerable performance. Where's the waste?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X