Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You had me thinking you actually bought the 1070 in an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      I just feel the open-source drivers have been an incredible success as of late and just a noble effort overall, so anything they provide is a plus. AMDGPU-PRO is a little bit underwhelming, enough that I opted not to use it while I had my AMD card. It didn't seem like there was a definite "Go with the AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Linux." Even the people that don't even care about open source opted for them over PRO because it was better.
      Maybe we should have done a fancy press release, but the open source driver has been our focus for anything but workstation/CAD for maybe two years now. The closed source GL driver picks up some game-related improvements via Windows but that's about it.

The message is "go with AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Linux for workstation/CAD, and for everything else go with upstream open source".

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
        If these would be opposite , they would be saying " Haha , Nvidia is pure shit bla bla"

When someone says "Mesa is shit" they pretend to ignore it.
        you are confused. mesa contains drivers for various hardware, including nvidia.
        and it is the only linux driver, what you call nvidia is windows driver in disguise, it does not come with linux oob and when it breaks (and it will), users are on their own. that's why normal people ignore nvidiots.
        but if you install real linux driver on nvidia hardware ( nouveau ), you could easily see how nvidia is shit

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          You had me thinking you actually bought the 1070 in an earlier post.
          I did. I got scammed lol. Paid $296 shipped from a seller on Amazon that had 5,000 positive ratings.. and then he scammed a few dozen of us. (that long con!)

I decided to look more into my purchase, and figured I'm not paying 700+ for an RTX 2070, and I still wanted the ZOTAC card with mini form factor, so I landed on the GTX 1080 as a better buy in the long run so I paid more. The 1070 would've definitely been an upgrade to the RX 480 but 1080 a little more so.

Heck, all this Proton/Steam Play still has got me excited again!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Maybe we should have done a fancy press release, but the open source driver has been our focus for anything but workstation/CAD for maybe two years now. The closed source GL driver picks up some game-related improvements via Windows but that's about it.

The message is "go with AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Linux for workstation/CAD, and for everything else go with upstream open source".
            I see, thanks for clearing that up. I *kinda* knew that but you hit the point home a little better. To be fair, with their newest release, they're converging the two so I should be more hesitant on my wording. But yes, a press release wouldn't hurt either. I don't think people (like myself) really understand what AMD did for the open-source graphics on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Is there any objective evidence of this
              there is objective evidence of nvidia compiling their shared libraries without -fpic. and that is obviously cheating

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post

and it is the only linux driver,
                I thought there were a number of Open Source, non-mesa drivers out there. Isn't one of the AMD Vulkan drivers external to the Mesa project and not dependent on it?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Just curious, why AMDGPU-PRO instead of open source ?
                  to artificially make nvidia look better

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    I thought there were a number of Open Source, non-mesa drivers out there. Isn't one of the AMD Vulkan drivers external to the Mesa project and not dependent on it?
                    it is, but it does not come oob, linux comes with batteries included when they are real drivers

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I did. I got scammed lol. Paid $296 shipped from a seller on Amazon that had 5,000 positive ratings.. and then he scammed a few dozen of us. (that long con!)

I decided to look more into my purchase, and figured I'm not paying 700+ for an RTX 2070, and I still wanted the ZOTAC card with mini form factor, so I landed on the GTX 1080 as a better buy in the long run so I paid more. The 1070 would've definitely been an upgrade to the RX 480 but 1080 a little more so.

Heck, all this Proton/Steam Play still has got me excited again!
                      Did they send you a GTX 1060? There has been a few times they sent me the wrong item through amazon. One time a seller sent me a totally different brand of headphones lol. Sometimes I see counterfeit review post about processors. I received a counterfeit AMD processor a decade ago, I was pretty angry. I think it was a counterfeit Athlon II 64.
                      Last edited by creative; 28 August 2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X