Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
    I can't understand that AMD folks.

If these would be opposite , they would be saying " Haha , Nvidia is pure shit bla bla"

When someone says "Mesa is shit" they pretend to ignore it.

Also , don't relieve yourself by saying "but AMD is more open bla bla" because when it comes to gaming people are looking for numbers .
    I don't know how many 'AMD folks' there are here, but there are a number of 'Open Source folks' who like AMD and Intel because they provide Open Source drivers.

"Mesa is shit" is has no useful content. Of course people ignore it.

Also: when it comes to gaming, only some people are looking for raw numbers. I'd love it if AMD had better performance-per-dollar than NVIDIA. It doesn't, but I will still choose AMD for gaming because it's better integrated with the typical GNU/Linux stack and it's Open Source. This also means that I have more assurance that my AMD purchases will be well supported into the distance future. One of my game machines right now is over 8 years old and I still use it. I use many of my systems until their last electron-breath. If I bought NVIDIA hardware I would be far more dependent on the whims and decisions of NVIDIA execs when it comes to GNU/Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
      OpenGL is almost impossible to fix.
      Then how did NVIDIA make OpenGL fast?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I feel dirty. I miss my RX 480. I know I'm going to lose street cred here and I should. AMD + Linux just feels more right.
        I think it's better to reward AMD and Intel for their Open Source efforts by purchasing their graphics hardware, but there are clear advantages to NVIDIA hardware (the performance and the control panel you mentioned being 2), so I don't blame anyone who wants to buy it.

As gamers like to say:

gl hf!

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

I think it's better to reward AMD and Intel for their Open Source efforts by purchasing their graphics hardware, but there are clear advantages to NVIDIA hardware (the performance and the control panel you mentioned being 2), so I don't blame anyone who wants to buy it.

As gamers like to say:

gl hf!
          Right on, that's my take as well.

ty u2!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Then how did NVIDIA make OpenGL fast?
            That's the question, why NVIDIA can do, AMD can't...

Comment

If these would be opposite , they would be saying " Haha , Nvidia is pure shit bla bla"

Also , don't relieve yourself by saying "but AMD is more open bla bla" because when it comes to gaming people are looking for numbers .
              A few things:
              1. If people said "Nvidia is pure shit bla bla" it would still be trolling. Jumping straight to insults/ridicule without any [reasonable] elaboration is trolling, no matter how right or wrong you may be.
              2. Despite what you think, a lot of people here actually do prioritize open source over performance. I don't, but numbers are not the only thing people care about. In fact, Mesa (even nouveau) is often known to offer a smoother experience, despite the lower frame rate. So even though buying a product strictly by principle is a stupid idea, so is buying a product just because it has bigger numbers.
              3. Mesa objectively isn't shitty. So if someone really thinks that way, they don't know what they're talking about. For the record, I'm not saying Nvidia's drivers are shitty, because I don't think they are either.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                2. Despite what you think, a lot of people here actually do prioritize open source over performance. I don't, but numbers are not the only thing people care about. In fact, Mesa (even nouveau) is often known to offer a smoother experience, despite the lower frame rate. So even though buying a product strictly by principle is a stupid idea, so is buying a product just because it has bigger numbers.
                Just to prove your point, I'd like to say that I'm writing this from an old laptop I rarely use which runs Arch and has Nvidia graphics. Last couple of months it has barely ever worked. It just freezes during the boot process and just sits there. Few hours ago I removed the Nvidia proprietary driver and tried using Nouveau and now it works just fine

Comment

Nope, the real truth is that nVidia cheats on performance. nVidia both compromises on graphics quality and on stable hardware configuration. nVidia's own driver fries their own hardware and all the while rendering looks cruddy.

See the problem is that nVidia FPS does not equal AMD FPS and that's a fact. AMD will achieve its FPS with no visual compromise and without any risk of frying your card....

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
                    That's the question, why NVIDIA can do, AMD can't...
                    Umm obviously by cheating. Do a side by side comparison and you will definitely see a visual quality difference for damn certain.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Nope, the real truth is that nVidia cheats on performance. nVidia both compromises on graphics quality and on stable hardware configuration. nVidia's own driver fries their own hardware and all the while rendering looks cruddy.

See the problem is that nVidia FPS does not equal AMD FPS and that's a fact. AMD will achieve its FPS with no visual compromise and without any risk of frying your card....
                      Is there any objective evidence of this or research projects looking into this? e.g. side by side comparisons of frames, examination of hardware life under normal load and examination of micro stutter.

Comment

Working...
                      X