Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please ignore the troll:
    Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
    Yes, the Mesa drivers are still garbage..
    Starting now...
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 August 2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

GRAPHICS: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8192MB
      Frequency: 1620/5005MHz
      OpenGL: 4.6.0
      OpenCL: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 9.2.210
      Display Driver: NVIDIA 396.54
      Screen: 3840x1080

I feel dirty. I miss my RX 480. I know I'm going to lose street cred here and I should. AMD + Linux just feels more right.

Still getting a feel for the system with the new graphics card but overall first impressions are good. Trying to get CUDA 9.2 working but to no avail on 18.10 cosmic. If anyone knows, please share.

PS: the mini form factor of this 1080 MINI is incredible. We've reached a point where mini compromises nothing. No thanks on those ridiculously huge ones from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
        Vega still has plenty of room for growth, but i feel it has been pretty stagnant.
        Yep, that's I guess the current state of AMD graphics. From these benchmarks, Vega 64 seems like a good card, if you can get one for 350-400€. Realistically. Now that the new Nvidia cards are coming out I've seen 1070ti deal for $399. What will AMD's answer be?

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

Yep, that's I guess the current state of AMD graphics. From these benchmarks, Vega 64 seems like a good card, if you can get one for 350-400€. Realistically. Now that the new Nvidia cards are coming out I've seen 1070ti deal for $399. What will AMD's answer be?
          What if AMD is content with their position in the graphics market? They're going to own CPUs for a while, and I think you have a fair number of people that will ride with them on graphics card. With this current lead, and RTX coming out, it ain't looking that great, but Vega does have a lot of room to grow, but when that comes who knows. To be honest, I'm enjoying having the nvidia system panel and the thorough nvidia-smi program to interface with it. That was seriously lacking when I was using AMD on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Please ignore the troll:
            Lol. Is it hard for you to admit that AMD is lagging behind in driver performance on all fronts?
            Look, you have to be realistic. OpenGL is almost impossible to fix. There is hope only for the Vulkan, but there are large holes (in particular, in the wrappers from Feral).

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
              Lol. Is it hard for you to admit that AMD is lagging behind in driver performance on all fronts?
              Look, you have to be realistic. OpenGL is almost impossible to fix. There is hope only for the Vulkan, but there are large holes (in particular, in the wrappers from Feral).
              If you're going to start your post in a thread with "Yes, the Mesa drivers are still garbage.." then gtfo with any kind of reasonable opinion afterwards. As he said, ignore the troll.

Comment

I can't understand that AMD folks.

If these would be opposite , they would be saying " Haha , Nvidia is pure shit bla bla"

When someone says "Mesa is shit" they pretend to ignore it.

Also , don't relieve yourself by saying "but AMD is more open bla bla" because when it comes to gaming people are looking for numbers .

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  What if AMD is content with their position in the graphics market?
                  I sincerely hope they're not. Since this is a market economy, uncompetitive markets will inherently screw the consumer

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

What if AMD is content with their position in the graphics market? They're going to own CPUs for a while, and I think you have a fair number of people that will ride with them on graphics card. With this current lead, and RTX coming out, it ain't looking that great, but Vega does have a lot of room to grow, but when that comes who knows. To be honest, I'm enjoying having the nvidia system panel and the thorough nvidia-smi program to interface with it. That was seriously lacking when I was using AMD on linux.
                    Problem is ; when Vega will be in shape it will be also outdated by new gpu releases.

Do you really want to wait for taking hardware's advantage years later? When it becomes half obsolete?

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                      When someone says "Mesa is shit" they pretend to ignore it.
                      I vote for AMD drivers are developed. I REALLY want it.
                      But lately it seems that everything has slowed down. Recently, this forum discussed that "game ports are very bad, because of this good performance do not wait," and now NVIDIA is releasing a driver that closes the last regression and also adds a bunch of points, destroying AMD in the most recent titles. How many more people will live in their fantasies and show their fingers on "crooked ports"?
                      Last edited by mphuZ; 28 August 2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X