Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Inside infos in what domain? Upcoming games or the steam related stuff?
    Heh... Stuff not directly related to gaming...at least for now, that is...

If even half of what I've been privy to happens this year, it'll be an interesting year for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      luckely I'm a linux user... developed a long breath and patience by life experience.
      Heh... I've learned not to hold my breath on things...I turn these funny blue and purple shades before blacking out when I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... Stuff not directly related to gaming...at least for now, that is...

If even half of what I've been privy to happens this year, it'll be an interesting year for everyone.
        Hm... then there is not much left you are involved with outside games

Comment

The latest edition of C'T magazine (juli/august number) now also states this summer the linux version of steam will be released (in the dutch edition).

I'm windsurfing at the moment so can not check their sources at the moment.
          Here's the answer of c't magazine:

Onze bronnen zijn bijvoorbeeld de nieuwswebsites Phoronics, Telegraph.co.uk en Seven Sided Cube. Maar je hebt gelijk, Valve heeft inderdaad (nog) geen offici?le mededeling gedaan omtrent Steam voor Linux. Mede hierom hebben we dit berichtje dan ook in het kader 'Kort nieuws' geplaatst.
          For the ones not speaking dutch, it says their source is... yes indeed phoronix, telegraph and seven side cube. Because of this it was places on the page with short news items.

Comment

Here's the answer of c't magazine:

For the ones not speaking dutch, it says their source is... yes indeed phoronix, telegraph and seven side cube. Because of this it was places on the page with short news items.
            but we still don't know where the telegraph got their info? (by know I mean, actually confirmed an answer not conjecture)

Comment

• If this is not a clear circular reference problem then I don't know... somebody failed at garbage collection :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                If this is not a clear circular reference problem then I don't know... somebody failed at garbage collection :P
                For now it seems like it...

But I do trust phoronix in this, I only hope its this decade valve will release something

Comment

• Originally posted by Julius View Post
                  lol that couldn't be further from the truth.

Apple and Linux caters to two almost completely different market segments, and games would change that only marginally.
                  Sorry, I meant OS X not Apple. It seems Ubuntu is starting to aim at the same segment as OS X.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Sorry, I meant OS X not Apple. It seems Ubuntu is starting to aim at the same segment as OS X.
                    You mean the "just goddamn work" segment?

Computers should be easy to use, and kudos go to any distro helping to further that effort.

Yeah yeah I know about the appearance similarities...

Comment

• So has Valve confirmed Steam for Linux yet? Because so far they have only confirmed something to the effect of "there are no plans for Steam on Linux at this time".

Since many websites are reporting incorrectly that Valve has confirmed it though, and they all link to this article, where is the truthful follow-up article on this to correct this lie/slip-up (depending on how nice you want to be to Phoronix)? Did I miss it?

Comment

Working...
                      X