Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But KDE is not "much freer" than GNOME anymore, since Qt was quadruple licensed to include LGPL.

So it isn't really a topic anymore.

On the other hand, GNOME has absolutely no philosophical advantage anymore. It is neither "more free" nor "less free" anymore (both were touted as great advantages at different times). So the future of the desktop wars will be decided on technical merits alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      Frustration with corporations, since they've managed to steal the majority of everyone's pie and brought the quality of life down for the entire world, for one thing, yes, not that some corporations can't have morals, though I can definitely say many do not (particularly the big ones).
      Anti-capitalist? Think where we would be without corporations... We would be digging out caves with stones to get shelter from the rain.

You can buy into these models which lock you down and take away some of your freedom as you wish, but the point I mean to make is simply that DRM = bad, always, period, because it takes away some of your freedom.
      I have more freedom when I do not use Steam for playing my Valve games than when I download and use Steam? That would be interesting. What freedoms do I gain in exchange for throwing my Half-Life retail disc in the bin?

Which is more free, open source DRM-less software, or close source DRM-full software? They WOULD find alternatives if they were forced to, and they will be forced to when you decide to not buy into DRMed models. Your wallet is the only vote you have really, so use it wisely.
      Yeah... they will find alternatives. Earth to Yfrwlf: except for you and me, the entire western population is for 80% filled with idiots and 99% computer illiterates. I want to add that in countries that are not western the percentage of morons is almost 99%, so nobody swing me the "My sand-covered country is beter!" BS. The islamic countries had their peak during the 17th century...

What's important is that the more consumers who say "no" to DRM, the more companies would, and should, push products and methods for delivering them which are successful while still granting maximum freedom for you. If everyone said no to DRMed software, there would be a MAJOR push for alternate systems like bounties.
      Except that 80% of all gamers "NEED TO PLAY THE FIFA 2010 FOOTBALL GAME!!!!".

Any way, I prefer to support those models instead, and say no to any DRM. My choice. ^^
      Other people want Steam. Their choice.

Comment

• Anti-capitalist? Think where we would be without corporations... We would be digging out caves with stones to get shelter from the rain.
        With our teeth! With hands tied behind our backs! While listening to Lady Gaga on repeat for all eternity!

lol

Comment

• Let me chop up your post in parts

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          With our teeth!
          No dental. Soon your teeth are all gone and you can't shew meat. Well... you'll die. Knife? Fork? What is that?

With hands tied behind our backs!
          With what knife/razer are you going to cut sheep hair and make rope out of it with what machine?

While listening to Lady Gaga on repeat for all eternity!
          As long as it are these Moto Blanco edits and such

No when it comes to post-90's pop 'music', I find Lady Gaga far from the worst I can imagine. Rihanna - Disturbia *I need a puke smiley*

Comment

• You're right!

Where would we be if the corporations hadn't invented teeth! And rope!

We'd be digging with our eyebrows, no wait, they were also created by teh corporations!

We wouldn't even exist! That's where we would be!

So it is obvious to everybody that we need Steam and DRM. Or would you rather live without TEETH!?

???

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              You're right!

Where would we be if the corporations hadn't invented teeth! And rope!

We'd be digging with our eyebrows, no wait, they were also created by teh corporations!

We wouldn't even exist! That's where we would be!

So it is obvious to everybody that we need Steam and DRM. Or would you rather live without TEETH!?

???
              Wow... you are more serious (and more stupid) than I thought.

Anyway... It should not take more than 4 brain cells to see how great the influence of corporations has been to society. You thinks that's government supplied rock thatś doing the computations for you now? (silicon)

Comment

• No.

The silicon was clearly invented by the corporations

BTW, it does indeed take more than 4 regular human brain cells to see anything, unless they are special corporation-produced Turbo BrainCells 2000 (tm).

BTW, it's not about the impact of corporations (both positive and negative) that's funny, it's your infatuated teenager adoration of the said, to the point where you actually believe that corporations (which exist in their current form for a bit over 100 years) invented dental care and rope.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Anti-capitalist? Think where we would be without corporations... We would be digging out caves with stones to get shelter from the rain.
                  So we went right from the stone age into the industrial revolution? I seem to recall some history between those points. You don't really need corporations to run an empire. You can put thousands of slaves to work on such things as farms and pyramids.

Comment

• Ok let me put it this way:
                    How many real life Walden Two's are there? Or is break back useless single farao grave tomb creation good for mankind?

Comment

• Let me put it this way:

Isaac Newton > General Electric

Oh, I forgot, he never did anything other than dig a hole with his rotten, stone-age teeth

Comment

Working...
                      X