No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04/vivid will EOL tomorrow make sure to upgrade to wily ASAP. Suggested path is to purge the PPA, upgrade to wily, add again the PPA.

Comment

• Running upgrade.sh will automatically replace the -lts-vivid versions with standard named ones, such as xserver-xorg-core, and so forth. There will then be no need to run dist-upgrade, you can just run apt-get upgrade to bring in the latest from Oibaf's PPA (other than the xserver-org-video-* packages, because of my new xserver-xorg-core version, which has an incompatible ABI - it changed from 1.17.X to 1.18.0). The only package brought in should be mesa, which gets built twice a day at 07.30 and 19.30, until Oibaf updates libva and the vaapi-intel-driver with the latest from git.

As for whose fault it is with the -lts-vivid packages, it's definitely not Oibaf's fault. Mint possibly could have stayed with the X.org and packages from trusty, but I can understand their wanting to have the latest. The one thing I am not totally sure on is why Ubuntu went with this naming convention - presumably because they had done so before, with -lts-utopic - but it makes upgrading a total pain. Basically you have to modify the Debian control files and remove all conflicts, then everything will play nice.

I have also created a cairo subfolder, it's not included in the upgrade.sh script as it's optional, but if you do want the latest cairo (1.14.6) from Xenial after upgrading the stack, simply run
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i *.deb
      in that folder.
      Last edited by Tigerite; 03 February 2016, 11:08 AM. Reason: Cairo

Comment

• I uploaded llvm 3.8 and rebuilt mesa and libclc with it.

Comment

• Having a problem running PCSX2 with the Oibaf PPA. Have two machines, one with Oibaf PPA and one with whatever came with Mint 17.3. The Mint 17.3 without Oibaf PPA has no problem running PCSX2. Mint with Oibaf PPA gives this output error.

Are those graphic features really not supported?
          Code:
           ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
          glX-Version 1.4 with Direct Rendering
          OpenGL information. GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0). Vendor: X.Org. Driver: Mesa 11.2.0-devel (git-71b9dfb 2016-02-10 trusty-oibaf-ppa+gallium-nine)
          Buggy driver detected. Geometry shaders will be disabled
          Buggy driver detected, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects will be disabled

INFO: GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic is available
          INFO: GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 is NOT SUPPORTED
          INFO: GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend is available
          INFO: GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects is NOT SUPPORTED
          INFO: GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store is NOT SUPPORTED
          INFO: GL_ARB_copy_image is available
          INFO: GL_ARB_buffer_storage is available
          INFO: GL_ARB_clear_texture is NOT SUPPORTED
          INFO: GL_ARB_clip_control is available
          INFO: GL_ARB_direct_state_access is NOT SUPPORTED
          INFO: GL_ARB_texture_barrier is available
          DSA is not supported. Replacing the GL function pointer to emulate it

Comment

• With 17.3, you can now add ppa:tigerite/mint-xorg-update and simply run

apt-get update
            apt-get upgrade
            apt-get install xorg-update

After that, you can enable the Oibaf PPA for newer versions of everything except the xorg-server-video-* files. I'll keep those up-to-date as much as possible (they are currently in-sync).

If any packages get held back, other than xorg-server-video- ones, you should be able to apt-get install them separately (such as cups and dpkg). I don't know why it doesn't bring them in automatically, they're not broken packages.

Comment

• WoW, thanks Tigerite. That will certainly make things easier. I'll test it and report what happens.

Comment

• Hello!
                On Fedora 23 (test update xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.99.917-19.20151206.fc23 ) by default was enabled DRI3. Will be enabled DRI3 on the Ubuntu ppaoibaf ? Video driver Intel HD 4600.
                Last edited by tuxnotess; 22 February 2016, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• I've changed the default to DRI3 in my PPA, but I don't think it makes much difference; the i965 driver still uses DRI2:

[ 9370.866] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled for use with valgrind
                  [ 9370.866] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5000
                  [ 9370.866] (--) intel(0): CPU: x86-64, sse2, sse3, ssse3, sse4.1, sse4.2, avx, avx2; using a maximum of 2 threads
                  [ 9370.866] (II) intel(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
                  "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
                  [ 9370.866] (==) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
                  [ 9370.866] (==) intel(0): RGB weight 888
                  [ 9370.866] (==) intel(0): Default visual is TrueColor
                  [ 9370.866] (**) intel(0): Option "DRI" "3"

[ 9370.882] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
                  [ 9370.882] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] DRI driver: i965
                  [ 9370.882] (II) intel(0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: va_gl
                  [ 9370.882] (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 DRI3 enabled

[ 9370.892] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized i965
                  [ 9370.892] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0

Comment

• You can check what DRI is used by running "LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears" (string "libGL: Using DRI3 for screen 0").

Comment

• Hi oibaf!

First i want say thanks for the drivers, i have +20-25FPS, so this is better a lot than OS X/Windows. I have found a problem, and it looks like driver bug. When i boot the laptop, the Gnome shell crashes after 5-10 minutes, after this, it works without problems for days. Here is the log: http://pastebin.com/sg8zNV5Z

And my other question: How to check that the drivers are installed correctly? glxinfo | grep OpenGL:

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
                      OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
                      OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-4b7e219 2016-02-24 wily-oibaf-ppa)
                      OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
                      OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
                      OpenGL core profile extensions:
                      OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-4b7e219 2016-02-24 wily-oibaf-ppa)
                      OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
                      OpenGL context flags: (none)
                      OpenGL extensions:
                      OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-4b7e219 2016-02-24 wily-oibaf-ppa)
                      OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
                      OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Specs:

I3 2310M
                      Intel HD3000
                      4Gb DDR3 RAM (Single channel)
                      Ubuntu 15.10 with Gnome 3.18

Edit: Can i change the frequency up/down threshold for GPU usage? When i play, the GPU downclocks itself, the cooling is good. In OSX i can configure that, 50% GPU usage = 1100Mhz, 40% usage = the frequency slowly steps down to 650Mhz. Is this possible on Linux?

Thanks for reply.
                      Last edited by UDPSendToFailed; 24 February 2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X