Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.10 Is The "Oracular Oriole"

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.10 Is The "Oracular Oriole"

For those keeping track of Ubuntu's animal-themed codenames, Ubuntu 24.10 is now confirmed to be the Oracular Oriole...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plasma 6.

Comment

I am using Ubuntu 24.04 and I am very pleased with it, it is very nice.

New in Ubuntu 24.04 is that Mozilla Thunderbird is packaged as a Snap. For 24.10 I would like more software such as video players and PDF viewers packaged as Snap to further increase the security. I also hope that GIMP will have the long awaited GIMP 3.0 out. I would like to see GNOME break their dependency on libx11 so you can run Ubuntu as a pure Wayland system without having even XWayland installed.

From Canonical I would like see a remote web admin interface for installing Snap packages on a Ubuntu Core server so you can use your web browser to install packages on your Raspberry Pi instead of SSH from the command line. Snap integration in Cockpit would be nice as well as having Cockpit packaged as a Snap package so you can install it on Ubuntu Core.

Comment

Generally a bit nearer to upsteam ... so current stable versions are more common through the entire
        distribution - especially mentioned GCC 14.1 and the zoo of libraries ...

Snap was reasonable with convergency (same distro on desktops and toy devices like smarphones - as
        smartphones/tablets ... don't have proper security) - currently snap and flatpack or favoured just
        for political / company tactics reasons.

On the Linux desktop, it is no real advantage to use this ridiculous sendboxing (especially when using
        Intel HW - so Virtualization is no protection at all even without core sharing): so the interoperability
        problems are a _real_ burdon.
        As snapped suits (experience with Firefox) are extremely problematic and also unstable, I am using
        .tar.bz2 from Mozilla - which also have the advantage to be distributable over several computers
        and OS partitions (and thunderbird is currently not very well ... but much better using that *.tar.bz2 -
        which surprised me - especially using 22.04 LTS as base: with an STS - especially one out of support -
        I would have expected an effect - not on a valid LTS).

If I ever would use some of the non-Debian based Linux distros, I would use AppImage rather than
        snap or flatpak - due to the problematic sendboxing.
        But people having understanding of security problems are rare these days ... like using encryption
        which can be decrypted without any knowledge ... but making data recovery hard or even impossible.
        The smartphone and its strong effects on mental health ... convenience over knowledge ...

Comment

I quick-read that as The Oracle Oreo. I predict that too many cookies will Slow Their Ass.

(It's a pun on so-lar-is...it works if you speak with a southern drawl, dammit)

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
            Generally a bit nearer to upsteam ... so current stable versions are more common through the entire
            distribution - especially mentioned GCC 14.1 and the zoo of libraries ...

Snap was reasonable with convergency (same distro on desktops and toy devices like smarphones - as
            smartphones/tablets ... don't have proper security) - currently snap and flatpack or favoured just
            for political / company tactics reasons.

On the Linux desktop, it is no real advantage to use this ridiculous sendboxing (especially when using
            Intel HW - so Virtualization is no protection at all even without core sharing): so the interoperability
            problems are a _real_ burdon.
            As snapped suits (experience with Firefox) are extremely problematic and also unstable, I am using
            .tar.bz2 from Mozilla - which also have the advantage to be distributable over several computers
            and OS partitions (and thunderbird is currently not very well ... but much better using that *.tar.bz2 -
            which surprised me - especially using 22.04 LTS as base: with an STS - especially one out of support -
            I would have expected an effect - not on a valid LTS).

If I ever would use some of the non-Debian based Linux distros, I would use AppImage rather than
            snap or flatpak - due to the problematic sendboxing.
            But people having understanding of security problems are rare these days ... like using encryption
            which can be decrypted without any knowledge ... but making data recovery hard or even impossible.
            The smartphone and its strong effects on mental health ... convenience over knowledge ...

Sandboxing is nice but the real problem flatpak is solving is versioning.If you put the versioning in libraries like now you get performance loses too and then you have bugs because you use a different library version which has a different behavior. AppImage is no solution because it is still using libraries from the system. Most AppImages I ever used never run out of the box. And then they don't share libraries like flatpak is doing.

Comment

What do you hope to see with the Oracular Oriole?
              That Canonical realizes that their target audience for Ubuntu, at least in theory, are not school children.

There were rumors a while ago that Canonical had hopes of going public; how can you have an IPO when your flagship product sounds like it was named after a cartoon character?

Seriously, they need to grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

That Canonical realizes that their target audience for Ubuntu, at least in theory, are not school children.

There were rumors a while ago that Canonical had hopes of going public; how can you have an IPO when your flagship product sounds like it was named after a cartoon character?

Seriously, they need to grow up.
                The current codename for Linux is "Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth", so the bar isn't set very high.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

The current codename for Linux is "Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth", so the bar isn't set very high.
                  That was for a previous version, a later one was "6.1.28 is named Curry Ramen", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

That was for a previous version, a later one was "6.1.28 is named Curry Ramen", etc.
                    The Makefile in 6.9-rc6 still has "NAME = Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth". I'm not sure what the Wikipedia article was talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X