Leave a comment:

• mxan
    replied
    Oracle suing in 3, 2, 1…

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post
    The current codename for Linux is "Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth", so the bar isn't set very high.
    At first I thought you were joking, but sure enough, in the Makefile:

# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
    VERSION = 6
    PATCHLEVEL = 9
    SUBLEVEL = 0
    EXTRAVERSION = -rc6
    NAME = Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth​
    WTF?

Imagine your stock broker calls you one day and the following conversation takes place:

Charlie the stock broker - Frank, buddy, how you doing?

Frank - Hey Chuck, what's the good word?

Charlie - Do i have an opportunity for you.

Frank - Talk to me.

Charlie - It's an IPO, I can get you in at 33.

Frank - 33? You think there's good upside here?

Charlie - It's all upside man, have I ever steered you wrong?

Frank - Ok, tell me about this company.

Charlie - Well they are a software company that doesn't sell software, they give away for free.

Frank - Wait, what? Then how do they make money?

Charlie - The sell support contracts.

Frank - Do they have a monopoly on the market or do they have competition?

Charlie - They have lots of competition, from the upstream software vendor they are based on and all the downstream variants that use them as a base, not to mention all the other competitors that release free versions, all using the same basic foundation.

Frank - Tell me about this foundation.

Charlie - It's named, hold on to your hat, Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth.

Frank - Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth?

Charlie - Yep. And the flagship product they make is named Oracular Oriole​.

Frank - Well you talked me into it, sold. Sign me up for 10 thousand shares.

Charlie - Wait, really? Are you drunk again?

Frank - Well, yeah, obviously.

Charlie - Yeah, me too. I'll send you a prospectus right over.

Frank - Good man.

Leave a comment:

• EphemeralEft
    replied
    Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

That was for a previous version, a later one was "6.1.28 is named Curry Ramen", etc.
    The Makefile in 6.9-rc6 still has "NAME = Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth". I'm not sure what the Wikipedia article was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

The current codename for Linux is "Hurr durr I'ma ninja sloth", so the bar isn't set very high.
    That was for a previous version, a later one was "6.1.28 is named Curry Ramen", etc.

Leave a comment:

• EphemeralEft
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

That Canonical realizes that their target audience for Ubuntu, at least in theory, are not school children.

There were rumors a while ago that Canonical had hopes of going public; how can you have an IPO when your flagship product sounds like it was named after a cartoon character?

Seriously, they need to grow up.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    What do you hope to see with the Oracular Oriole?
    That Canonical realizes that their target audience for Ubuntu, at least in theory, are not school children.

There were rumors a while ago that Canonical had hopes of going public; how can you have an IPO when your flagship product sounds like it was named after a cartoon character?

Seriously, they need to grow up.

Leave a comment:

• patrick1946
    replied
    Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
    Generally a bit nearer to upsteam ... so current stable versions are more common through the entire
    distribution - especially mentioned GCC 14.1 and the zoo of libraries ...

Snap was reasonable with convergency (same distro on desktops and toy devices like smarphones - as
    smartphones/tablets ... don't have proper security) - currently snap and flatpack or favoured just
    for political / company tactics reasons.

On the Linux desktop, it is no real advantage to use this ridiculous sendboxing (especially when using
    Intel HW - so Virtualization is no protection at all even without core sharing): so the interoperability
    problems are a _real_ burdon.
    As snapped suits (experience with Firefox) are extremely problematic and also unstable, I am using
    .tar.bz2 from Mozilla - which also have the advantage to be distributable over several computers
    and OS partitions (and thunderbird is currently not very well ... but much better using that *.tar.bz2 -
    which surprised me - especially using 22.04 LTS as base: with an STS - especially one out of support -
    I would have expected an effect - not on a valid LTS).

If I ever would use some of the non-Debian based Linux distros, I would use AppImage rather than
    snap or flatpak - due to the problematic sendboxing.
    But people having understanding of security problems are rare these days ... like using encryption
    which can be decrypted without any knowledge ... but making data recovery hard or even impossible.
    The smartphone and its strong effects on mental health ... convenience over knowledge ...

Sandboxing is nice but the real problem flatpak is solving is versioning.If you put the versioning in libraries like now you get performance loses too and then you have bugs because you use a different library version which has a different behavior. AppImage is no solution because it is still using libraries from the system. Most AppImages I ever used never run out of the box. And then they don't share libraries like flatpak is doing.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I quick-read that as The Oracle Oreo. I predict that too many cookies will Slow Their Ass.

(It's a pun on so-lar-is...it works if you speak with a southern drawl, dammit)

Leave a comment:

• JMB9
    replied
    Generally a bit nearer to upsteam ... so current stable versions are more common through the entire
    distribution - especially mentioned GCC 14.1 and the zoo of libraries ...

Snap was reasonable with convergency (same distro on desktops and toy devices like smarphones - as
    smartphones/tablets ... don't have proper security) - currently snap and flatpack or favoured just
    for political / company tactics reasons.

On the Linux desktop, it is no real advantage to use this ridiculous sendboxing (especially when using
    Intel HW - so Virtualization is no protection at all even without core sharing): so the interoperability
    problems are a _real_ burdon.
    As snapped suits (experience with Firefox) are extremely problematic and also unstable, I am using
    .tar.bz2 from Mozilla - which also have the advantage to be distributable over several computers
    and OS partitions (and thunderbird is currently not very well ... but much better using that *.tar.bz2 -
    which surprised me - especially using 22.04 LTS as base: with an STS - especially one out of support -
    I would have expected an effect - not on a valid LTS).

If I ever would use some of the non-Debian based Linux distros, I would use AppImage rather than
    snap or flatpak - due to the problematic sendboxing.
    But people having understanding of security problems are rare these days ... like using encryption
    which can be decrypted without any knowledge ... but making data recovery hard or even impossible.
    The smartphone and its strong effects on mental health ... convenience over knowledge ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X