Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meson+Ninja Showing Speedy Build Results For Shotwell

Phoronix: Meson+Ninja Showing Speedy Build Results For Shotwell

The Shotwell GNOME photo manager is among the components that added Meson build system support for the GNOME 3.26 cycle...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Shotwell-Times

This may not seem like much, but it someone has an automated buildbot or some CI environment, those seconds probably quickly add up.

Comment

GNOME Builder makes it easy to get stated with Meson.
      Just create a new project and it will be built using Meson.

Comment

GNOME is moving to Meson. This will continue now that 3.26 is getting branched.

Comment

Ja genau! Das "Mösen" Build System

Comment

Why did they have to depend on Python for it and couldn't just implement it in C/C++? ...

Comment

Meson is just written in Python3, but could be reimplemented in any language.
              Last edited by andreano; 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

He measured the wrong thing: Clean build time.

What matters is rebuild time. And correctness, obviously. Why would you otherwise use a buildsystem?

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  He measured the wrong thing: Clean build time.

What matters is rebuild time. And correctness, obviously. Why would you otherwise use a buildsystem?
                  I'm sure Meson is a fine build system, but if you have correctness issues, you can just do a full rebuild every time .

Comment

I mean, what counts is the time it takes to do a correct rebuild – if "correct rebuild" means "full rebuild", so be it.

Originally posted by GrayShade
                    if you have correctness issues, you can just do a full rebuild every time
                    I know, people do that. Often for paranoia because they don't trust their buildsystem. But I would say it's like driving your airplane on the highway because it's not airworthy – at that point you don't have an airplane anymore: The purpose of a buildsystem is to figure out what needs to be rebuilt and rebuild that – the moment it can't do that, you don't have a buildsystem anymore.

Not that I've had any correctness issues with Meson. I think it's superb. Just pointing out what I think matters in a buildsystem comparison.
                    Last edited by andreano; 09-11-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X