Meson+Ninja Showing Speedy Build Results For Shotwell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    This may not seem like much, but it someone has an automated buildbot or some CI environment, those seconds probably quickly add up.
    Imagine a distro like Gentoo. When you're building 300 packages, saving 30 seconds per package is quite a lot. There are some ways to speed up autoconf stuff, but it's all ugly. And yea, reproducible builds in the cloud.. it's interesting to witness the old GNU tools become replaced one by one.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
      Meson is just written in Python3, but could be reimplemented in any language.
      Maybe Python 2?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Imagine a distro like Gentoo
        well, that's what i am using. and this is why i am excited. i already saw the benefits of ninja build system with webkit, that might help a bit more.

it's interesting to witness the old GNU tools become replaced one by one.
        it's eagerly awaited by some people. autotools are just a bit too slow, and require learning multiple languages to produce a working project setup.

i've been watching meson slowly make its way to wider audience, since it appeared fairly early on gentoo blogs somewhere and its simplicity was what really appealed to me. that, and responsiveness of the developer in adding new features. instead of making hacks and workarounds, you can hope to get your stuff resolved upstream in fairly short time.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
          I'm sure Meson is a fine build system, but if you have correctness issues, you can just do a full rebuild every time .
          And that is exactly the reason why I love Tup build system that guarantees correctness http://gittup.org/tup/build_system_r...algorithms.pdf

It records all filesystem access operations and tracks dependencies based on this data.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
            I'm sure Meson is a fine build system, but if you have correctness issues, you can just do a full rebuild every time .
            And that is why I really like the idea and implementation of Tup build system http://gittup.org/tup/ and some theory here http://gittup.org/tup/build_system_r...algorithms.pdf

The idea is that all filesystem access operations are tracked and exact dependency graph is built based on this information.

Comment

How well tested is tup?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Maybe Python 2?
                Meson 0.42.0 starts like this:

Code:
                #!/usr/bin/python3
                I also verified that the Meson package shipped by OpenSuse Tumbleweed does not depend on Python2: I could have uninstalled Python2 without losing Meson.
                Last edited by andreano; 09-13-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

Meson 0.42.0 starts like this:

Code:
                  #!/usr/bin/python3
                  I also verified that the Meson package shipped by OpenSuse Tumbleweed does not depend on Python2: I could have uninstalled Python2 without losing Meson.
                  I think they were suggesting that Meson should be reimplemented in Python 2 instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X