LLVM Founder, Swift Creator Chris Lattner Is Leaving Apple: Joins Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
    Tesla the luxury automaker? I read in Wikipedia page that they use Ubuntu as primary OS in Model S.
    *it is used in infotainment system, basically the "onboard tablet" which is not really a "primary" system in any way.
    The "primary OS" is the firmware of the board running the actual car's hardware and/or the autopilot system.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

The thing about sociopaths is that they're generally not really dysfunctional people and can in fact be very charming and generally nice people when they need to. It's when push comes to shove when they show their true colors and in Steve Jobs' case this often meant verbally and, in the early part of his career, physically abusing engineers. There aren't that many CEOs known for yelling at engineers when they screw up and ship something that doesn't work properly like what happened with the launch of MobileMe (the precursor to iCloud).
      On the other hand, when your time is worth as much $$$ as Jobs' was, it is often more effective to scream at someone not doing their job instead of scheduling a meeting about it.
      Imho, that's one of things we do wrong these days: we're so used to not pointing fingers, it paralyses a lot of the decision making.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        On the other hand, when your time is worth as much $$$ as Jobs' was, it is often more effective to scream at someone not doing their job instead of scheduling a meeting about it.
        Imho, that's one of things we do wrong these days: we're so used to not pointing fingers, it paralyses a lot of the decision making.
        Jobs' approach may work in the short term and in the long term as well if you have a constant stream of high quality engineers joining the company, but in most companies that sort of thing will eventually backfire when talented people leave because of a hostile or downright toxic work environment and are replaced by less talented people. Post-Jobs management rationale at Apple is probably based on wanting to retain as many talented engineers as possible even when it's at the cost of letting even the less talented engineers under-perform.

I guess it's a "pick your poison" type situation when it comes down to it. Ether you suffer the cost of high employee turnover or then you suffer the cost of low employee performance.

Comment

Jobs' approach may work in the short term and in the long term as well if you have a constant stream of high quality engineers joining the company, but in most companies that sort of thing will eventually backfire when talented people leave because of a hostile or downright toxic work environment and are replaced by less talented people. Post-Jobs management rationale at Apple is probably based on wanting to retain as many talented engineers as possible even when it's at the cost of letting even the less talented engineers under-perform.

I guess it's a "pick your poison" type situation when it comes down to it. Ether you suffer the cost of high employee turnover or then you suffer the cost of low employee performance.
          Shouting at someone that doesn't do their job, does not automatically translate to a "hostile or downright toxic environment". I don't imagine the same engineer would get shout at more than a couple of time before they lost their job anyway.

Fault Steve Jobs for whatever you want, but he was a leader. Tim Cook? Not so much.

Comment

Shouting at someone that doesn't do their job, does not automatically translate to a "hostile or downright toxic environment". I don't imagine the same engineer would get shout at more than a couple of time before they lost their job anyway.

Fault Steve Jobs for whatever you want, but he was a leader. Tim Cook? Not so much.
            Not automatically, but when the risk of getting a personal face-to-face bollocking from the CEO of the company if you make a mistake is constantly at the back of your mind it can become a very unpleasant place to work at. Some people will obviously be able to deal with this while other more sensitive people obviously won't.

You're right in that Jobs definitely was a leader, not a manager and hired Cook to be just that. I guess the long term success of Apple is ether dependent on Cook being able to find a leader to assist him in running the company or the board's ability to replace him with one.

Comment

Not automatically, but when the risk of getting a personal face-to-face bollocking from the CEO of the company if you make a mistake is constantly at the back of your mind it can become a very unpleasant place to work at. Some people will obviously be able to deal with this while other more sensitive people obviously won't.

You're right in that Jobs definitely was a leader, not a manager and hired Cook to be just that. I guess the long term success of Apple is ether dependent on Cook being able to find a leader to assist him in running the company or the board's ability to replace him with one.
              I doubt Jobs hunted down each engineer at Apple making individual mistakes. It was like: http://www.businessinsider.com/steve...failure-2011-5
              Language aside, I think that's the most efficient way to point out the elephant in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                Apple is the only computer maker I remotely care to use. I don't trust Microsoft, and I don't think Linux is polished enough for desktop use. As for mobiles, there isn't any device as good as an iPad Pro.
                iPad pro? No USB port means that it does not even desserve the term "device"...

Comment

Shouting at someone that doesn't do their job, does not automatically translate to a "hostile or downright toxic environment".
                  Apple has been extremely notorious for having a "hostile or downright toxic environment" resulting in an extremely high turnover. People worked at Apple to get it on their resume, since just being able to survive there meant they got their pick of pretty much any job they wanted elsewhere once they were done. But it also means they stayed the absolutely bare minimum necessary to put it on their resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                    iPad pro? No USB port means that it does not even desserve the term "device"...
                    This.
                    iPadPro is an expensive aluminum high-tech hammer.

( /sarcasm, although the lack of ports on devices supposed to be "pro" is bad, very bad)

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Apple has been extremely notorious for having a "hostile or downright toxic environment" resulting in an extremely high turnover. People worked at Apple to get it on their resume, since just being able to survive there meant they got their pick of pretty much any job they wanted elsewhere once they were done. But it also means they stayed the absolutely bare minimum necessary to put it on their resume.
                      Same can be said for Linux kernel mailing lists, but I don't see this high turnover.

Comment

Working...
                      X