Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDAB Working On Embedding Servo Web Engine Within Qt

Phoronix: KDAB Working On Embedding Servo Web Engine Within Qt

Engineers at the KDAB consulting firm have begun experimenting with embedding the Rust-written Servo web engine inside Qt software using CXX-Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, may be something will replace chromium there. But they should follow XDG base directory specification.

Comment

Agreed. QtWebEngine has been a failure really. It's been impossible for Qt to stay up to date with Chromium which has made it unsuitable as an engine for web browsers/Web apps, and overkill for lighter embedded needs.

Servo could be really good as a lighter alternative.

Comment

Why didn't Qt stay with WebKit? I'm looking forward to WebKitGTK with Skia.

Comment

Seeing Qt's web engine choices change over time is always funny, considering the dominant web browser code bases (Blink/WebKit) are all descendants of KDE's old KHTML engine.

Comment

Extremely cool stuff, QT's webengine has been first class when it comes to performance It does sit a bit heavier then I would like, but when it comes to those fun devices in your pocket, QT's offerings (angelfish) is hands down the most performant. WPE Webkit is lighter, but the actual performance of it is much worse, and webkitgtk is such a massive joke it's not even a consideration.

I don't see this being usable any time soon. I have been tinkering with the current embedded UI for servo. Engine wise, Servo is progressing at a remarkable pace. Phoronix is at a "mostly works" state, with ads crippling the experience. Nitter pretty much works fine with some odd bugs. Mastodon is completely and utterly broken. Lemmy's default UI is shockingly close to working And ofc I would be remiss if I didn't test everyone's favourite erotica site with the funny orange logo, it kinda works, the main elements are there.

In regards to servo's default webui. IIRC they recently merged multiview support, and hopefully tabs in the UI will be comming soon

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
              Why didn't Qt stay with WebKit? I'm looking forward to WebKitGTK with Skia.
              webkit is very slow and buggy compared to chromium based solutions. I have yet to find a single webkit based browser that performs decently on lower end hardware. WebkitGTK is absolutely horrid for performance issues.

Comment

I would absolutely love to have servo working as a backend to falkon or angelfish!!!

I can't wait to replace webkit/blink engines.

We need a good alternative to the dominant rendering engine. Currently Mozilla's Firefox is the only alternative, but i honestly don't see it with much future... not the way it is or with the choices they've been doing!!! But... when there is no other alternative it's got to have Firefox (it's better than nothing, right?!)

Now... if servo can take off, if it can stay away from the googlepoly, then maybe it becames a decent alternative... (if someone does not buy out Igalia and dismantle it, of course....)...

who knows... maybe someday even Firefox can switch from gecko to servo...

Would be great to see this

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

webkit is very slow and buggy compared to chromium based solutions. I have yet to find a single webkit based browser that performs decently on lower end hardware. WebkitGTK is absolutely horrid for performance issues.
                  It is slow and the scrolling experience is terrible, but how does Apple get good performance out of WebKit? How much of the problem is a limitation of WebKit as opposed to Cairo and/or GTK? Will the planned switch to Skia fix the scrolling issue?

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
                    It is slow and the scrolling experience is terrible, but how does Apple get good performance out of WebKit? How much of the problem is a limitation of WebKit as opposed to Cairo and/or GTK? Will the planned switch to Skia fix the scrolling issue?
                    Apple gets good performance out of it by not having any genuinely low end hardware. If you use a browser on a really old macbook or iphone, the performance is still bad, not nearly as bad as webkitgtk but it's not as godd as chromium or firefox based solutions.

at the very least some of the issue may be solved by skia I suppose I havent tested it but it could help a lot. Sadly even GTK4 wasn't able to save epiphany. But in the end, I dont see it rivalling firefox for low end hardware let alone chromium solutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X