KDAB Working On Embedding Servo Web Engine Within Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Apple gets good performance out of it by not having any genuinely low end hardware. If you use a browser on a really old macbook or iphone, the performance is still bad, not nearly as bad as webkitgtk but it's not as godd as chromium or firefox based solutions.
    But even on my high end hardware, scrolling in WebKitGTK is really bad...is there some sort of secret behind Apple's implementation? Or a limitation of GTK?

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
      It is slow and the scrolling experience is terrible, but how does Apple get good performance out of WebKit? How much of the problem is a limitation of WebKit as opposed to Cairo and/or GTK? Will the planned switch to Skia fix the scrolling issue?
      Because Apple doesn't have low-end hardware. Also, he specifically said that WebKitGTK is horrendous. Guess I missed the news that Safari is now using WebKitGTK rather than WebKit?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Apple gets good performance out of it by not having any genuinely low end hardware. If you use a browser on a really old macbook or iphone, the performance is still bad, not nearly as bad as webkitgtk but it's not as godd as chromium or firefox based solutions.

at the very least some of the issue may be solved by skia I suppose I havent tested it but it could help a lot. Sadly even GTK4 wasn't able to save epiphany. But in the end, I dont see it rivalling firefox for low end hardware let alone chromium solutions.
        So if Apple would use an efficient web browser, then I believe their time on battery would skyrocket even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Because Apple doesn't have low-end hardware. Also, he specifically said that WebKitGTK is horrendous. Guess I missed the news that Safari is now using WebKitGTK rather than WebKit?
          He said:
          webkit is very slow and buggy compared to chromium based solutions.
          But even so, if the problem is in WebKitGTK and not so much in WebKit, does that mean it's not a limitation of WebKit? How can WebKitGTK be sped up?

EDIT: Was QtWebKit as slow as WebKitGTK is now?

Comment

I want to see Pop_OS pick up Servo and see if they can somehow manage to use that on their COSMIC DE.
            Last edited by Sethox; 08 April 2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Good. The problem With QWebEngine is still that it cannot be built with GCC on Windows. It requires MSVC for arcane reasons, which in turn still cannot compile a lot of valid C++ code, so QWebEngine is only usable for projects that do not require a Windows build.
              Maybe with Servo in 10 years there will finally be proper HTML rendering support in Qt...

To be clear, the MSVC requirement is the fault of the Chromium project, not the fault of Qt.
              Last edited by david-nk; 08 April 2024, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                I want to see Pop_OS pick up Servo and see if they can somehow manage to use that on their COSMIC DE.
                It's not the role of a sane DE and/or Distro to create and provide the web browser... This is the role of the Mozilla Foundation...

Why should they do such a huge work + huge liability, so that in the end it's being used by what.. 0.0000001 percent of web traffic ?

Comment

It is slow and the scrolling experience is terrible, but how does Apple get good performance out of WebKit? How much of the problem is a limitation of WebKit as opposed to Cairo and/or GTK? Will the planned switch to Skia fix the scrolling issue?
                  IIUC, WebKitGTK currently implements GPU-accelerated compositing, but using Cairo limits it to drawing exclusively on the CPU. With the switch to skia, WebKitGTK will finally have GPU-accelerated 2D rendering.

Linux browsers don't do all that much with their toolkit, as they implement most of its functionality themselves. This is e.g. why Firefox supports the wayland fractional scaling protocol despite nominally being based on GTK3, or why WebKitGTK draws with cairo even though GTK4 uses OpenGL. More details are in this mozilla bug tracker discussion:

Last edited by clippy; 09 April 2024, 04:57 AM.

Comment

One of the biggest Mozilla mistakes ever:

News and forums on computers, IT, science, media and politics. Price comparison of hardware and software as well as downloads at Heise Medien.

(Brendan Eich was CTO when this decision was made, BTW).
                    Last edited by evasb; 08 April 2024, 06:52 PM.

Comment

But even on my high end hardware, scrolling in WebKitGTK is really bad...is there some sort of secret behind Apple's implementation? Or a limitation of GTK?
                      I would chalk it up to the GTK implementation.

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                      I personally don't really think it has a place, but I wouldn't mind trying to make a simple gui around servo using cosmic as a trial run, looking at servoshell it doesn't seem like it would be that hard​

Comment

Working...
                      X