Google Publishes "Leaky.Page" Showing Spectre In Action Within Web Browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Publishes "Leaky.Page" Showing Spectre In Action Within Web Browsers

Phoronix: Google Publishes "Leaky.Page" Showing Spectre In Action Within Web Browsers

Google has published their proof-of-concept code showing the practicality of Spectre exploits within modern web browsers' JavaScript engines. The code is out there and you can even try it for yourself on the leaky.page web-site...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yup, that's terrifying. Don't run untrusted code in your browser even if you think you have a sandbox.

Comment

So we can finally ignore all of the people who've had their head in the sand saying "It's not a problem as there are no practical working exploits."?

Comment

I don't understand.
        If I run:
        Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/* [/COLOR][/FONT]
        I get the following result:
        Code:
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/itlb_multihit:KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, RSB filling
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/srbds:Mitigation: Microcode
        /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/tsx_async_abort:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
        Code:
        [FONT=monospace][/FONT]

So it seems that all should be mitigated, but the leaky.page works in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Xwaang View Post
          I don't understand.
          Code:
          /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
          [FONT=monospace][/FONT]

The one I cropped means that the mitigation is disabled by default and needs to be enabled by using prctl() or seccomp(). Chromium should be enabling it for its processes by default tho...

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Yup, that's terrifying. Don't run untrusted code in your browser even if you think you have a sandbox.
            Are you telling us not to visit any sites except for those hosted at 127.0.0.1 (and only after you've read the code!) ?

Comment

I don't understand.
              If I run:
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/* [/COLOR][/FONT]
              Code:
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/itlb_multihit:KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, RSB filling
              /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/tsx_async_abort:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][/FONT]

In this case, the target memory is in the same process, so you might have some protection from other processes with mitigations (though no guarantee of that).

Comment

I don't understand.
                If I run:
                Code:
                Code:
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][/FONT]

Well, it might be a stretch to say this but one of two things must be true based on this leaky.page thing: 1) the above showing these are mitigated is bullshit in reality or 2) Google showing PoC *only* in Chrome is bullshit/smoke and mirrors. Why doesn't this repro in other browsers? it should if the PoC is coded correctly, no? Either way, I call bullshit on this PoC. Repro on other browsers or GTFO.

Comment

Just another reason to keep js off by default

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
                    Why doesn't this repro in other browsers? it should if the PoC is coded correctly, no? Either way, I call bullshit on this PoC. Repro on other browsers or GTFO.
                    It could be that the exploit needs to be tuned to the particular JIT engine, in which case they certainly could do it but haven't invested the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X