Google Publishes "Leaky.Page" Showing Spectre In Action Within Web Browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
    ...I suggest transcoding your personal media library...
    Turning on mitigations would be cheaper, safer, faster, cooler, and quieter.

Last edited by elatllat; 12 March 2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Mitigations don't work on this case. Take the test, you'll see.

Comment

They should have posted this for CES 2021. That would have been exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Intel and Apple.
          I managed to make it work on AMD ryzen 3600 with unstable timers fairly consistently.
          Only thing that makes spectre hard to exploit is Firefox because of low precision timers. On firefox only 1st test can be somewhat succesful (but at much higher tries) while 2nd/3rd test for me was impossible. Edge/Chrome fail both on AMD 2nd and 3rd test.

Also if on Firefox you decrease furthermore precision of timers, you gonna make attacks reliant on performance.now() timer impossible unless you give literally hours of probing.

Comment

I have mitigations off and it failed. Some exploit *rolls eyes*.

Comment

Originally posted by Xwaang View Post
              From my point of view the system seems as responsive as ever.
              Yep, mine with these mitigations too.

Comment

Turning on mitigations probably only prevents known attacks, while the other approach probably prevents more attacks.
                (personally I also have spec_store_bypass_disable=on)

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                  My bank for example invites 14 3rd party script hosts to my banking login page. Any one of them can snoop my credentials. Scriptsafe will make it very plain to you where 3rd party scripts are in use.
                  You still has bank account? I clean long ago. This Spectre, I slowly cleaning out peepnik's too.

(I'm kidding, but someone out there might be doing just this...)
                  Last edited by ed31337; 12 March 2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Why is this PoC exploit working on Chrome on Ubuntu, Ryzen 3700X and 4650G, with spec_store_bypass_disable=on?

Comment

There are currently no mitigations to "turn on" for Spectre V4, other than completely disabling CPU caches on context change. Such a patch was submitted and Linus smacked the maintainer who accepted it silly because it results in about 90% performance loss, which is basically a voluntary DOS attack. So no, this doesn't impact performance more than the proposed mitigation. Read up about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X