Qt 6.0 Gets A Release Date With An Initial Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    How often have you seen Windows' DE crash?
    Hardware problems happen, although I don't recall having any Linux/Kubuntu/Plasma crash since many, many, many years ago. I even published a Kubuntu 14.04 virtual machine that anyone could download and try for himself: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2...dfaGdJTUU/edit

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
      > On a tangential note, I wish other desktop environments offered the equivalent
      > of KDE connect -- it's pretty useful IME.

What's IME here? You're not talking about an Input Method Editor, that much I can tell...
      He probably meant "in my experience".

Comment

I'm not sure what the problem would be, on the desktop we're just talking a series of simple pop-ups. But ok.
        It's a little bit more than that...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          ... and I'm not even sure KDE is still relevant nowadays with their continued focus on mobile devices/users ... the whole 10 people in the entire world who have KDE installed on their smartphones.
          You must be confusing KDE with that piece of shit called G*ome which expects people to run their mobile phone interface on desktop.
          The irony of gnome is that nobody runs it on a phone or tablet as the performance sucks and its actually very bad for touch input. But I guess the two people dumb enough to buy librem 5 and run g*ome on it are happy.

Comment

Birdie troll strikes again! xD

Comment

I wasn't talking about the Windows OS. Since the discussion started with Qt and KDE, I was strictly talking about the desktop experience.
              How many users have you heard complaining about lack of video acceleration in their browser of choice on Windows? How many users need to read internet forums to get their screen to stop tearing on Windows? How often have you seen Windows' DE crash?
              I'm sure you can dig up some cases where that happens on Windows, but let's be realistic here, on Linux that's just a slow day.
              How many Linux users need to read Internet about slow startup of UWP apps or bugs in Menu Start? About activation problems? How many macOS users need to read Internet about these? Windows support forums aren't empty either.

Yeah, every OS has it's own problems. Windows and Linux aren't different. Beside I can't really remember whole DE crash on Linux in last few years and I'm using it on desktop more often than Windows. Yeah, sometimes (very rarely) shell crashed but quickly restarted itself without data or work loss. I can also remember some (very rarely as well) explorer.exe freezes and crashes on stressed PC.
              Last edited by dragon321; 28 April 2020, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I use deepin based on Qt if you want a clean, structured, and not eye sore DE. But because it’s chinese lots of people don’t want even to try. It’s still bit young, especially native apps but the world is not only KDE or gnome.

Comment

Lets see, problems I've had with WIndows 10 in the past year include:
                  1.) HIgh CPU usage on a cold boot, with a fresh install(CPU usage near 75%, nothing happening, no programs running).
                  2.) Installing the newest AMD drivers for my GPU usually results in an unusable computer(will only boot to safe mode).
                  3.) Attempting to flash a firmware to my old phone results in Windows crashing 50% of the time(this might just be an LG UP thing though).
                  4.) Computer is horrendously slow on Windows 10(as in, it takes a while for anything to open).
                  5.) Programs from the Windows Store will sometimes not open.
                  6.) Windows Store loves to trash programs during updates.
                  7.) Installing Windows updates results in drivers not working anymore.
                  8.) My battery has never been accurately reported in Windows.
                  9.) Plugging in my 95W charger under Windows always results in CPU being throttled to 800MHz for no reason.

Then of course we have the general Windows 10 problems:
                  Automatically downloading garbage( apps without my approval(Disney Magic Kingdoms? Really? Candy Crush Saga? Why?).
                  Spying/Windows Phone Home.
                  High RAM usage on startup.
                  Updates that break things regularly(Hah! People who think Archlinux is unstable have never used Windows 10)
                  UWP apps from the store are all either dumbed-down versions of WIn32 apps, or are just crapware)
                  Inconsistent UI/UX(On one hand we have a decent UI for some programs, others look like tablet or phone UI, and still others were ripped from Windows XP days)

Comment

Working...
                  X