Qt 6.0 Gets A Release Date With An Initial Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. KDE and Gnome may have some stuff Windows doesn't dream about, but neither is as user friendly as Windows. Simply because neither is as stable.
    You've obviously never spent time in any windows troubleshooting forums. It would be statistically impossible to have more or worse problems than what the windows users are screaming about on an everyday basis.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

birdie is realist. In many instances he has talked about real-life issues between Linux and Average Joe.
      Hahaha no. birdie is just a compulsive liar that feels he has to not only complain but constantly make up shit to complain about. Very few of his ramblings ever have anything approaching a resemblance to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. KDE and Gnome may have some stuff Windows doesn't dream about, but neither is as user friendly as Windows. Simply because neither is as stable.
        What are you basing that on? Windows has been a disaster recently, with their frequent updates and lack of a testing team. Maybe you were thinking of Windows 7 or something. Times have changed, and Ubuntu with Gnome is far more stable now.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

What you really mean is, "why don't they focus all their efforts on the concerns of the whole 10 people in the entire world who try to game on kde on wayland and who are all constantly whining about it on Phoronix".
          I game only on Plasma Wayland and it works quite well. Most issues I've been faced in the past affected Gnome in the same way as all these have been XWayland bugs.

Comment

I wish people would stop grouping Gnome and KDE. Gnome sucks so bad, and parroting it hurts people trying Linux as even Linux users hate that piece of trash. KDE only lives because Gnome 3 fucked everything top to bottom. Between KDE and Gnome, one is a desktop usable with a mouse and keyboard and one just ripped out the desktop, the system tray, the keyboard, and non-stacked menus because fuck you you're using it wrong. Gnome will die one day if they don't make a sane fucking desktop once again.

That said, back on topic. I wish there were a modern toolkit in C, minimal everything with the ability to run plugins on top made and so all the old shit like QT and GTK. All popular toolkits are much too complex and bloated for looking to program a application, but doesn't need every fucking feature under the sun built-in to it, along with a month to interface it with their program not in its native language. Let plugins for browsers, network, etc handle that extra garbage. Make compatibility with other languages simpler and concise. Lastly, make it all sane enough that people are actually enticed not to build things in ncurses and terminal because its simpler to write hundreds of lines of code than to learn their huge piece of crap toolkit. This shit is much more complicated than needs be, and is even worse when you look into mobile and support. Gnome actually gets most of this right with their toolkits functions and such, but it executes it wrong by forcing their shitty hamburger menu design philosophy everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

What are you basing that on? Windows has been a disaster recently, with their frequent updates and lack of a testing team. Maybe you were thinking of Windows 7 or something. Times have changed, and Ubuntu with Gnome is far more stable now.
              I wasn't talking about the Windows OS. Since the discussion started with Qt and KDE, I was strictly talking about the desktop experience.
              How many users have you heard complaining about lack of video acceleration in their browser of choice on Windows? How many users need to read internet forums to get their screen to stop tearing on Windows? How often have you seen Windows' DE crash?
              I'm sure you can dig up some cases where that happens on Windows, but let's be realistic here, on Linux that's just a slow day.

Comment

Love the KDE applications. Kate is my favorite editor. Do all my school programing in it. Love the KDE games too; they are a fun distraction at times. Haven't ran a plasma desktop in awhile but run xfce with KDE applications on most of my Linux and BSD boxes.

Comment

Why do I read the comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
                    Why do I read the comments?
                    I love laughing at how dumb people are, so the comments here are pretty great IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                      On a tangential note, I wish other desktop environments offered the equivalent of KDE connect -- it's pretty useful IME.
                      What's IME here? You're not talking about an Input Method Editor, that much I can tell...

Comment

Working...
                      X